Another Pearl Update

I just can't win......

I came home to Pearl having neurological problems. Her head was turned to the right, glazed look on her face, stepping funny with her left foreleg as if she didn't know where to put it.

I've see a stroke in her before...a year ago...caused by hypertension.

I rush off to the vets, they have me in emergency status (meaning I get to go ahead of everyone else.) Except the more immediate emergency that needs blood transfusions that came in minutes before me. Half hour later and they still haven't taken us. 45 minutes later I finally get in. So much for emergency. By this time, the head tilt is gone, she's walking straight, but she still has that funky step with her left leg. She also still doesn't seem focused. Alert, but not focused.

They couldn't do anything. So after all that waiting, I shoot off to the Hillsboro branch of Red Bank Hosp. By the time we get there, only the funky leg thing is left, so they're thinking it's hurting her or is something leg specific.

Basically, other than ruling out hypertensive stroke, her BP was still under 200 with all this crap that was going on, they weren't able to do anything.

Now I'm thinking it's a stroke due to a blood clot from her surgery or the cancer is in her brain. Other than an MRI, we won't know the answer. I would like to know the possibility that the cancer is in her brain before I spend the money on an MRI. It would make a difference in her future. A clot would mean I could move forward with chemo (if she is still a candidate) brain cancer would mean no more anything.

She's at home. No remnants from last night's episode. And if she had it earlier in the day, I would never have known it. In fact, I don't know if she's had any while I've been at work.

Her PCV is up to 34. That's good.

But her appetite is poor.

While I was there, and already paying for an emergency visit, I had them remove the staples because she had two hot spots. They can't get to two of them because of an abscess. So, she's now on antibiotics. But the other staples are out.

I keep hoping she'll bounce back from her surgery and we'll have some quality time. While she's not really in pain and indicating she's ready to go, she's just resting most of the time. She's halfway between being her normal spunky self and on death's door. Limbo. It sucks. She's absolutely not ready for the Bridge yet, but she's not feeling like she did before Christmas.

I emailed Dr. Couto last night at midnight because I wanted him to see it first thing this morning, but it bounced back because his box is full. I sent it again this morning after he read his emails for the day.

I may decide to call him.

Diamond's doing well..........sigh

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

WOW! Sooo sorry to hear about Pearl!

You basically described Curfew's "episode," last week. Walking "drunk," glazed eyes, drooling, and panting. His first "episode" was VERY bad (Sept 2008), as he was unconsious going to, and at the vets. It took him 24 hours to come around.

Yes, it does sound like Pearl had a clot stroke. Curfew, too, is on Enalapril for hypertension. Are you giving Pearl 1/2 81 mg aspirin daily? I am not sure what meds she is already on, so this should be cleared by your vet. Dr. Couto recommended it for Curfew. I give it with Pepcid AC. Also, when he has his "episodes," I immediatelyl give him (1) full 81 mg aspirin, which helps break the clots.

Sorry you had to wait at the E-Vets so long. To ME, an active stroke, should have been taken in immediately. Sounds like she has made a recovery from this. Dr. Couto ALWAYS answers his emails. I, too, contacted him last week. I'd see what he says, and go from there.

Sending you LOTS OF LOVE, hugs, and prayers! I KNOW HOW SCARY THIS IS! Love, Dee and The Five

Guest Adrianne

Poor Pearl! Poor you!

I know that feeling when they're "halfway between being her normal spunky self and on death's door." It's miserable.

I'm keeping you and Pearl in my thoughts and prayers. Please do keep us updated.

grouphug.gif

Guest bigbrindlebunny

I have no useful medical stuff to add, I just happened to read this and think you're being really strong and brave.

I holding good thoughts for Pearl and you to have more time together.

I heard back from Dr. Couto.

I guess it can be considered good news in that he doesn't think it is cancer related. He believes it's a clot especially since she is older and it occurs in older dogs.

I've started her back up with her 15 mg aspirin regiment that she was on before her surgery for her GN. I stopped it when she got her diagnosis because her kidneys would way outlive splenic cancer.

We're in conversation regarding her poor appetite. Why is it going down when she's supposedly healing?

You know....I know I made the right decision with Diamond. She's happy, in great shape. She finished chemo and now her appetite is back. She chased deer the other day!

But I still don't know if I made the right decision with Pearl. She's not ready for the Bridge, but she's really not enjoying life with the zest she used to. Just at Christmas she was tearing around the yard with her new stuffies. I really thought she was going to make it to 13 (in Oct).

:grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Gosh, I'm so sorry all this is going on. Prayers for your sweet Pearl. She sure has had a time of it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

I, too am sorry that Pearl isn't feeling as "zesty," as before. Just could be as simple as getting older, like all of us.

I am "glad," ... please don't take this word wrong, about Dr. Couto thinking it was a stroke. It is "better" than it being related to the cancer. Hopefully, with the aspirin, the strokes, will be few and far between! That is what I pray for both your Pearl and my Curfew! I am currently giving the 1/2 81 mg. aspirin, per Dr. Couto, with Pepcid AC 10 mg, twice a day.

Curfew and I send all our love, and I am praying for you and Pearl! Love, Dee

I, too am sorry that Pearl isn't feeling as "zesty," as before. Just could be as simple as getting older, like all of us.

I am "glad," ... please don't take this word wrong, about Dr. Couto thinking it was a stroke. It is "better" than it being related to the cancer. Hopefully, with the aspirin, the strokes, will be few and far between! That is what I pray for both your Pearl and my Curfew! I am currently giving the 1/2 81 mg. aspirin, per Dr. Couto, with Pepcid AC 10 mg, twice a day.

Here you are struggling with your own baby and you still post for me and my Pearl. THank you so much.

How is Curfew doing? Did you get a BP? Pearl's cardiologist has been struggling with why Pearl has hypertension and Dr. Couto said "it's a greyhound thing'.

Guest Energy11

Here you are struggling with your own baby and you still post for me and my Pearl. THank you so much.

How is Curfew doing? Did you get a BP? Pearl's cardiologist has been struggling with why Pearl has hypertension and Dr. Couto said "it's a greyhound thing'.

WELL, OF COURSE I care about you and Pearl! I FEEL what you are feeling! Curfew seems okay. He took a walk around the property with the others today, and then, wanted to run with girls! I don't want him running, as I feel it might raise his BP and he could blow a clot.

RE: his blood pressure, having been a paramedic, I use an infant BP cuff, and take his blood pressure by palpation. (*hard to desribe). It has been consistently 110 (top number), so that is very good.

It is a day, by day thing with him, as I am sure it is with Pearl! Sending you lots of love! Dee

Sending hugs and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.