Austin David Hanrahan

Guest CorbysMom

Guest CorbysMom

My little Austin - show name Genica Never Been Kissed - had to leave us. Losing this little man is huge, especially to my son, Sean, who grew up with Austin and who treated him like his own son.

I remember adopting him through his breeder, who was friends with a dear friend of mine. She was the one who coordinated Austin's adoption. She made it all possible.

I remember asking my brother to pick Austin up. My brother lived in Ohio on the Kentucky border and Austin was living in Kentucky with his breeder. My brother thought Italian Greyhounds were the size of racing greyhounds, so he rented a Suburban to bring the 8 lb Iggy puppy home to us in New Jersey. :)

I remember the first time we laid eyes on Austin. He was beautiful and so very scared. He hid under a desk for hours. We ordered pizza and when it was delivered, that little man shot out from under the desk like he was launched. Pizza boxes are universal, even to a scared Iggy puppy. :lol:

Austin had many health problems: seizure disorder, degenerative disc disease, a detached retina, a repaired torn bicep muscle; the surgeon transplanted a chest muscle to replace his bicep, thus keeping his shoulder from dislocating, and a plethora of other, less severe problems. But he wasn't special needs because of his conditions; he was special needs because he was especially needed - by us.

We brought him to the vet to see why he was swinging his leg when he walked and was yelping in pain. No xrays were needed. Austin's other bicep muscle had torn and his shoulder was popping in and out of the socket. He was too old and too medically compromised to do surgery again. I left the decision up to Sean. We talked about the fact that there comes a point in time when a vet is powerless. It's at that time that we, as the stewards of our pets, attain the power to fix the unfixable. Sean opted to take his little buddy's pain and make it his own. I look at Sean, who is not quite a kid and not quite a man, and wonder if he'll ever be the same again. And I grieve for my son, who is currently in agony, and for Austin, whose stature may have been little, but whose presence was so incredibly huge.

We'll miss you, lil Autie. You've left iggy footprints in our hearts forever.....

post-8956-12643094536092.jpg

Edited by CorbysMom

I am so sorry for the loss of Austin and for the pain Sean is experiencing. What an exceptional young man.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry...the most loving decision we can make is the most painful :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so sorry Nancy.

God Speed sweet boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't know which is worse, the pain of losing a life companion like Austin or the pain of watching your child in agony. I am so sorry for your loss. Austin was a beautiful guy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a gorgeous boy. I am very sorry you and your son had to make this decision, it is very hard.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest EmbersDad

your son is a hero and i admire him for his decision as tears stream down my face. tell him about rainbow bridge and how he and austin will met again someday.

:candle

I'm so sorry. Hugs for you and your son.

Run free, handsome Austin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.