Smiley's Amputation Had A Complication, Devastated

Guest Smiley

Everything was going incredibly well with my beloved Smiley until yesterday afternoon. We got a call from Dr. Mercurio our surgeon who said that Smiley had incurred a fracture in his good front leg. The spot that we had initially worried about and done the aspiration and cat scan on to ensure that it was viable was in fact diseased. We were given a 99% + chance that this was not a cancerous area which was the only reason we went ahead with the surgery.

They had him sedated and comfortable and we immediately made the 3 hour drive down to say goodbye. I am devastated. While I know we made the best choice we could at the time, I will never forgive myself for putting my beautiful boy through the surgery. I hate that I wasn't there with him his last days. I am grateful that we were able to say goodbye and it was as peaceful as it could have been under the circumstances. The surgeon and our vet student were incredibly kind and compassionate, but I am shattered. Never did I think this would be the end to this story. I am broken. Completely and totally broken.

Guest Lovemyhound

ohmygoodness... how terribly tragic. I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I know there are no words.

God Bless you and your precious Smiley.

Oh Beth, I am so very sorry. How heart breaking.

Hugs,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Oh no, I'm so so sorry! Please be kind to yourself. If the best vets in the world didn't know, there's no way you could have either. You did everything you could for Smiley.

Please accept my deepest sympathies.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

That is so terribly tragic. I am so so sorry. You did the best thing you could with the advice given to you. Please don't blame yourselves.

I am so terribly sorry to hear the sad news. Please be able to forgive yourself--you did the best you could for him and gave him the chance of the best quality of life available. I have an ill pup at home too and OSU is doing the very best they can for her but, I need, like you to come to the understanding that some things can't be fixed. It's a hard pill to swallow and it hurts so much but, they know that you had only the best intentions at heart and I'm sure that Smilely is at peace with that and I pray you will find the same peace.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest PhillyPups

Beth :bighug

I am so very very sorry for your loss and shell-shocked. I also had to read it twice to comprehend your words.

Run with the angels Sweet Smiley, you are with some of the very, very best ~

Oh no. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, sweet Smiley.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe what happened, I'm so very, very sorry. Remember that you and Pete did everything you could for Smiley -took him to the best vet, did all the tests before you made your decision...you guys loved him very, very much and did all that you could for your sweet Smiley. My continued prayers for your family as you go through this difficult time. Smiley is now running painfree and watching over you... :angelwings

(Smiley run a lap :gh_run with my Sweet Dee and Buster & Tasha and give them a big kiss for me)

:grouphug:f_red

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

Guest Adrianne

This is my greatest wish. That he knew that we loved him so very, very much.

Like everyone else, I am sitting here stunned and shocked at this news. We were all pulling for him. I am so, so very sorry. weep.gif

Please know that everything you did for him was out of love, and try not to second guess your decisions. Smiley knew you adored him.

Big hugs to you.

I'm so sorry for you & for Smiley. Please be kind to yourselves. :grouphug You wanted to give your sweet boy a chance & you took him to the people that know the most about these things. Smiley loves you now & forever.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Beth, as hard as it is do not beat yourself up over the decision you made at the time. You made this decision with Smiley's best wellbeing in mind with the information you had at the time. I am so sorry that it turned out this way. Sending warm hugs and healing thoughts for your broken heart.