Has Your Greyhound Ever Hurt Itself With A Muzzle On?

60 members have voted

1. 1. Has your greyhound every hurt itself with a muzzle on for long periods of time?

HI all. My dog walker says "I'm really uncomfortable caring for a dog with a muzzle. They are meant to only be on with supervision. Please get a few other professional opinions before you proceed". She also continues to say "I have seen a dog rip its ear nearly off trying to get a muzzle off. Also they can not drink and pant properly".

I tend to disagree, but wanted to do this poll so I could show her that greyhounds are fine with muzzles on during the day with their moms and dads are at work.

Thanks,

Tony

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Has your dog walker seen your basket muzzle? They're designed precisely so a dog can pant and drink properly.

I would be reluctant to leave a dog muzzled with a stool cup for any period of time, but plain basket muzzle is usually no problem. Joseph wore his for the best part of 2 weeks after his abdominal surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I muzzle mine (we have 4) during the day while we are at work. I have read too many threads and seen too many pictures about what can happen if someone's nose gets out of joint. The only casualty was one chewed muzzle because it was on too loose. They all expect it and don't give me any grief when they go on. It is now part of "I am leaving for work now" routine. They pant fine (I have pics of Zoe's tongue hanging out between the bars of her muzzle after a lure pole session) and the water bowl is usually low when we return. My husband was really opposed to them, but after he saw how they fit and their acceptance, that it is now no big deal.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest barkdogs

I left one on Allistair while he was healing from his orthopedic surgery. It was much less stressful for him than wearing an e-collar. After he started chewing the cast through the bottom of the muzzle, I taped JUST THE BOTTOM surface with duct tape--that way he could still drink and it didn't interfere with his breathing. I passed the muzzle strap through the ring on his collar to prevent him from removing it. An inelegant solution, but an effective one, and one that he seemed pretty comfortable with.

I forgot to add - we have a piece of felt that is sticky on one side - maybe 2x2 inches? that wraps around the piece that rests on their nose for added comfort. Naturally, the felt matches the muzzle, but that's just me!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest PhillyPups

An honest answer to the question would have to be yes. But not as a result of the muzzle. TigerPower cut his pad out in the back yard while wearing the muzzle and running.

I have used the "turn-out" basket muzzles on my greyhounds for years. I have multiples and their play can turn rough without the muzzles. Retired racers are used to them. They drink their water, can eat, and even play with stuffies while wearing their muzzles. A $10 muzzle beats a vet bill for stitches, or worse, in my book anyday.

Is your dogwalker familiar with retired racing greyhounds and the turn-out muzzles?? It does not sound like it to me.

When I get the muzzles out, all 5 of mine raise their heads for me to put them on. Zeus will even put his head in it for me.

Do you honestly think the majority of people who responded to your prior thread would all give the same answer and suggest a remedy that would be harmful to Zero??

Edited by PhillyPups

I muzzle my two greyhounds everyday while I'm at work. They don't seem to care at all when I put them on. I know they drink with them comfortably, because they often run back and forth between me and their water bowl before I can even get their muzzles off when I come home. I've also seen them eat and play with toys with them on.

my dog walker doesn't have a problem with it. she takes off the muzzle for Treasure's walk and replaces it afterwards. as others have said, she might be less uncomfortable if she sees what a basket muzzle looks like.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest mirthlesstroll

My 3 are all muzzled whenever I'm not home - no one has ever hurt themselves with the muzzle on, but with it off....(SA dog & foster chewed babygate, and I spent a looooong time checking mouths for splinters.) Mine also put their noses up to get their muzzles on; it's part of the "Mom's getting ready to go" routine here.

The basket muzzles are designed to be safe and worn for long periods of time. I would NEVER leave any other type of muzzle on any dog. The basket ones let them pant, eat, drink, bark, and even throw up safely. Greys aren't like other dogs and they are used to wearing muzzles. Our guys will try to rub their muzzles off but as soon as anything interesting happens it is long forgotten! Lol

------

Jessica

I have one greyhound and the only time I have used it was needed medically. I used it and an e-collar to keep him from licking a wound.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Nope, definitely not. I do, however, only put them on when I am supervising. NOT because I am concerned with the muzzle being dangerous, though. My dogs are crated when I am not home, except the oldie and one of the Greys, who just sleeps on my bed when I am gone.

Your dog-walker is probably thinking of the cloth muzzles which fit snugly over a dog's snout to prevent biting and inhibit barking. Those do keep a dog from opening its mouth and panting. Regarding those, she's right. I would never leave a dog unattended in one of those.

A basket-style turnout muzzle, however, is designed to be worn comfortably for longer periods and allows panting, drinking, barking, and even eating small bits that can fit through the mesh (i.e. treats, pieces of kibble). What they won't allow is biting other dogs or grabbing and chewing something. So your cabinets, venison, etc. are safe. In theory it's possible for them to get caught on something, but I've never had it happen and I suspect they could probably pull the muzzle off with a good hard tug if that was the case.

I'd say go for it. In your case Zero is much less safe unmuzzled than muzzled. And seriously, we all love our dogs too much to regularly do and/or suggest something that we know to be inherently unsafe or inhumane.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Carl has managed to hurt himself pretty good WITHOUT a muzzle on. He has never ever hurt himself WITH the muzzle on, this is going on 2 years of muzzling while I'm at work. Claire also has not hurt herself with the muzzle on.

I am guessing your dog walker just isn't familiar with the previous lives of retired racing greyhounds, that's why she doesn't understand.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sja5032

Never seen a dog get hurt because they were wearing a muzzle and this is 6+ years of working in a racing kennel and having greys at home.

I bought a basket muzzle for my rescued pit when we first got her just because I didn't know what to expect and some lady who was a "dog trainer" said if I left it on for more than an hour she would die. I guess this lady never "trained" a greyhound or had any idea about them.

Cookie is muzzled when I leave the house. I adjust it properly, make sure it's comfortable, and she has no issues. I'd like to think it actually protects her from getting hurt (Cookie is a bad girl :lol ).

Edited by September

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

An honest answer to the question would have to be yes. But not as a result of the muzzle. TigerPower cut his pad out in the back yard while wearing the muzzle and running.

I have used the "turn-out" basket muzzles on my greyhounds for years. I have multiples and their play can turn rough without the muzzles. Retired racers are used to them. They drink their water, can eat, and even play with stuffies while wearing their muzzles. A $10 muzzle beats a vet bill for stitches, or worse, in my book anyday.

Is your dogwalker familiar with retired racing greyhounds and the turn-out muzzles?? It does not sound like it to me.

When I get the muzzles out, all 5 of mine raise their heads for me to put them on. Zeus will even put his head in it for me.

Do you honestly think the majority of people who responded to your prior thread would all give the same answer and suggest a remedy that would be harmful to Zero??

Nope, not at all. I never said or implied that anyone would want any harm to come to Zero. I'm just simply doing a survey.

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest Harry702

Harry is muzzled or crated when we leave him for any length of time. This is for his safety (he also likes to chew wood when he's bored) as well as the safety of the cats (though he's WONDERFUL with them, you just never know). Every once and a while he'll be a drama queen about it, but for the most part, he takes the muzzle with no issues at all.

Guest gurehaundo

We muzzle Ace and Jac when we're not home, everyone else is crated. The only reason why we muzzle the boys is because Ace will eat sheets as well as other cloth-type things in the house. Jac can open doors so he has no problem letting Ace enjoy a fabric buffet in the bedrooms. Because we muzzle Ace, we muzzle Jac (even though he probably doesn't need it).

The worst injury one of mine had with a muzzle was just a nose scrape. Steak was rubbing his face with his muzzle on, on my leg and he rubbed the muzzle and his nose so hard that it left a scrape at the bridge of his nose.

I wanted to add a photo for you too. The basket muzzles are not tight, they are designed so that the dog can still eat, drink, and pant. I muzzle all of mine during the day while I am gone so that they don't get in any "tiffs" or chew things. They aren't 100% but they are the next best thing. Steak actually still managed to chew my stair spindles with his muzzle on :rolleyes: The other thing that you have to do is to deter things that he is trying to get to. I block off my kitchen with a baby gate and I muzzle. They do just fine with it.

Dogs060.jpg

edited because, good lord I can't spell today. :rolleyes:

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest twhitehouse

Lexi wore her muzzle everyday for a year or so and never hurt herself. Due to SA, she hurts herself without it on. We did experience some rubbing on the sides of her lips, but after lining the muzzle with felt, it wasn't an issue.

Lexi also tries VERY hard to get her muzzle off, and had become a pro at it, so we bought a strap so she couldn't get it off. I've NEVER seen a dog rip its ear off because of a muzzle. Especially a greyhound...? Theire ear would just fold over and out of the way so that can't really be an argument with a greyhound.