Bald Butt

This is probably a stupid question but Kevin is the first hound I've adopted that came with a bald butt...not as bad as some I've seen but still pretty bald. Does that hair ever grow back or is he bald for life? Roman nose, snaggle teeth and a bald butt...what more could a Momma ask for!?!? Doesn't seem to bother Lizzie a bit...she's quite smitten with her new brother!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Some of mine are bald and always have been and some were bald and are now growing hair.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Chloe had a completely bald butt but she is hypothroid, once on the proper meds, she did grow back most of her hair.

Teddy has a blad butt, neck and tummy. I mean completely bald. Still after 3 years, he remains bald.

Ollie is pretty bald but he's only here 6 weeks so I will give it more time to determine.

I don't put any doggie version of rogaine on them! ;) as I don't believe there is anything to promote hair growth.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest scfilby

Mickey was pretty bald when she came home, but over time it grew in, and stays in mostly. She gets small bald patches in the late summer. Cy came home with a full head of butt hair, but he is bald on his neck.

Guest RocketDog

Mine are both bald on neck, belly and booty - came that way, and no matter what diet or supplement or topical remedy I've tried there has not been a single hair grown in the two years I've had them. They are both in gleaming health (literally - that nekkid skin is shiny!) so it's nothing I worry about on a medical level.

Carl had a bald chest, thighs when I brought him home and and developed a bald neck later. We found out he was hypothyroid and he has been on Soloxine for just over a year. His chest is still bald, his neck is completely filled in and his thighs grew in a little fur. I started him on Melatonin about 3 - 4 weeks ago and I really am seeing a change in his thighs, I've got Claire on Melatonin, too, (she's not hypothyroid) and she's getting a fuzzy butt!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest bigbrindlebunny

I was thinking of crocheting two little toupees for my boy's butt. tongue.gif

Petey took 3rd place in the "Baldest Butt" contest at this year's GPA MD reunion picnic. I'd be proud, but I think I got the pity vote. When the judges were wavering between Pete and another hound, I asked them if supplements count? This past year Pete got fish oil, The Missing Link, and now Hair of the Dog. So far, nothing, nada, zip.

Have one that came totally butt, chest and neck bald and the butt has filled in about 50%, but nothing else. Have another one that came with the same "baldness" and hasn't grown a hair.

Melatonin? Please, do tell!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

our grey had a mostly bald butt when we got him over 7 years ago. over time, it partially filled in. during his summer blow, it gets pretty bald, however, his butt, for the first time, is completely filled in. have no idea why. i've changed his food to pro plan salmon for sensitive stomach and mix that with half the Blue food for his dinner.

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang lost her butt fur when she was shedding her kennel coat. It's growing back now. Her fur is generally very short and sparse, to better show off her speckles.

~D~

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Have the vet check his thyroid to make sure it's not that. Spencer had a bald butt for years and he finally at the age of 9 has a full-furred butt

My " Stormy" looks like he was named right. He is a beautiful 6yo red brindle. He was with another group and then 4 foster homes. He is my gotcha now & forever. One canine 1/2 gone, rear toe missing,adorable floppy ears with only one standing like a radar dish, neck is bald and bald butt. It is growing back but I don't dare tell him it;s coming in "gray". I can't imagine life without him.

At the moment Tess has a bald butt but it is because she was shaved for surgery back in Oct. it looks like it is starting to grow back though, I was told once a grey lost hair it would not come back so I was pleasantly surprised to see that Tess was growing her butt hair back.

Guest LineDancerDana

Oh Thank Goodness!!!! I am so glad someone wrote about this!!! Amelia has the same issue, and I didn't know if it was common. When I first saw it I was concerned, but was reassured she was healthy, she just has a bald belly, and butt. She had one of her legs shaved for her spay, and it never came back, but she is in perfect shape. I love her just the way she is, bald or not!

Guest eaglflyt

I can't figure out the bald backside either! Ady Bea came with full hair back there, then shed it all off this past summer and was in the bald butt club. However, then she grew it back almost as full as original ... and then now has shed it ALL back out again to a new level of baldness. I have no clue how she's going to be in the long run ... maybe just alternating hair with baldness? I do think that whenever she gets sick, it results in a big shedding event a few weeks later.

Toby's belly and butt are as bald as the day we brought him home straight off the track 2 yrs ago.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Melatonin info from the Wiki.

If you Google melatonin + alopecia there will be several veterinary articles that come up discussing its use for canine balding.

What dosage are you giving your hounds?

Thanks for sharing! :colgate

3mg a day. It really seems to be putting fuzz on their butts! The perk is that it is taking the edge off of Carl's SA, too. I give it to them when we come in from the morning walk.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014