Our Ole' Boy, Rico (Jc Deans Party)

Guest mom2greys

Guest mom2greys

On New Year's eve, we lost a wonderful old friend. We made the very difficult decision to help our ole' Rico to the Rainbow Bridge.

This sweet boy came to us in March 2005 (At almost 9 yrs of age), after he was returned to our Greyhound Adoption group. His first family no longer had time for him and his "brother", Tucker, even though they had them for over 5 years. Tucker had a loving family to go to, and we agreed to foster Rico until another home could be found. At that time, we already had our first greyhound, Pablo, and our 4 1/2 year old daughter, Alyssa. We were not looking to have another dog in the house, but he charmed his way into our hearts within a few days, and we KNEW we would not be letting him go.

AlyssaRico-1.jpg

Rico was a sweet, loving, goofy boy; very different from the reserved and somewhat aloof, Pablo, but they quickly became the best of friends.

IMG_0102-3.jpg

Rico never met a stranger and he loved everyone. He was a wonderful ambassador for greyhound adoption, taking part in many parades, meet & greets and in-home visits with potential adopters.

AlyssaDoggies016-2.jpg

Iloveagoodsunbeam-1.jpg

Some of my fondest memories of our boy was seeing him play in the snow!! He LOVED the snow! He would run, play and romp in the fluffy white stuff for as long as we would let him.

Rico090.jpg

IKNOWImhandsome-1.jpg

In the next few years, he helped us welcome 3 more special hounds to the family: Halo, Tator Tot and Dale. He was more than happy to let us share our love with them. As I said before, he loved everyone. :colgate

Our sweet ole' fella slowed down a lot in the last couple of years, and his health deteriorated, including hind-end weakness, but he still maintained his zest for life. It wasn't until last week, we noticed that he lost his "sparkle" and was having a more difficult time.

It was one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to make, but our vet came to the house on December 31 and sent our wonderful ole' friend to the Rainbow Bridge. He passed away with his Mom & Dad at his side and his head on my lap.

Alyssa & Rico, the eve before Rico passed:

Rico060.jpg

Daddy & Rico:

Rico045.jpg

Me & My boy:

Rico028.jpg

Rico, we will always love you and cherish all of the wonderful memories that we have of you. We miss you so much already and I am heart-broken that you are gone. Our lives have been enriched because of your presence, and we will never, ever forget you.

RUN FREE, Sweet Boy! I hope there is some snow in heaven for you!

Love,

Mama Lynn, Daddy Robert and sister Alyssa

& Pablo, Halo, Tator Tot & Dale.

XO XO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's lots of snow in heaven. I hope he found Miz Foxy, I think she would have liked him a lot

I'm so sorry Lynn, Rob and Alyssa. I know he is leaving ahuge hole in your life right now. I hope in time the memories you have will make you smile and laugh

The picture of Alyssa and Rico breaks my heart. She sure does love her puppies doesn't she?

Godspeed Rico :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest 4rooers

I have a sweet boy that was returned after 4+ years with a family, he has become one of the great loves of my life. I'm so glad you gave Rico such a good home for his last years. Godspeed, sweet boy. Run with the wind. :gh_run2

Guest 3greysinPA

What a beautiful and touching tribute to the Sweet Rico, just looking at those picutes of him.. you can see how wonderful and sweet he was... I am so sorry for your loss.

f_yellowf_yellow God Speed to the Bridge Rico f_yellowf_yellow

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can see that Rico was very special and was well loved by you and your family. flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Godspeed Rico....run free

I am so sorry for your loss, he seemed like such a beautiful spirit

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy. I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so sorry. He was a very special boy, wasn't he? Your words and pictures of him warm the heart.

Godspeed, Rico.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 It is clear from your wonderful tribute and photos that he was a handsome and special boy.

Godspeed Rico.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Lynn, Robert and Alyssa, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Godspeed Rico, your family loves you so very much.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

what a beautiful tribute to your boy. how lucky for him to have found a good home with you when he most needed it. we are so sorry for your loss.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan