Hoping I Am Very Wrong.

Guest Shana

Hi everyone,

Just a quick reminder that I do not and have never owned a grey. I am doing plenty of research before adopting.

I understand that retired greys have never been pets before their career is over, and as a result they have lots of learning to do. I have been getting this impression from my readings in GT that they are rather self motivated, if they dont want to do something they won't... this is making me wonder... how well do they respond to commands? Not for tricks, but just regular everyday obedience commands such as "come", "down", "heel", "stay" etc etc.

I am a firm believer in the pack leader theory (although I know many are against this, and all is fair in opinions), but I dont know how well I will be able to deal with a dog that just doesn't care, or doesnt give a crap. I am looking for a responsive, respectful dog that will listen and react to what I ask it to, when I ask it to.

Please share the attitude of your grey(s) towards this concern of mine. I really hope I have the wrong impression, and that greys are just as responsive as other dogs. I dont know why I am getting this impression (maybe spending too much time in "the cute and funny things greys do" forum! lol). TIA

blush.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Mine won't do what they are "told," and I am ok with that. Now, my friend has two Greyhound therapy dogs, so, yes, they can be "trained," if that is what you are looking for. Maybe some of the others can answer this better than I. To me, if they can be certified therapy dogs, that just about says it all. Good luck, and please continue researching before you adopt, just to be sure you and a greyhound are the right fit.

Welcome to GT.

I have never trained my dogs to do anything special. However, they did train me pretty well!. :lol:eek:lol

All kidding aside.( but really I am not kidding) I'm sure there are some people on here who have very well trained GH that took time to get to that point.

But I do have to say that when my dogs don't want to do something- like a walk- it just aint gonna happen.

Our dogs understand 2 or 3 things. Walkies, pee, cookie and out and uppy (up the stairs).

But we did not put the time to "work" with them, We were afraid they would laugh at us.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Mine will respond when called, they know the "move" command because when they're in my way I tell them to "move" and they will. They also know "down" and "quiet". They know what "NO" means. I know several people on here who have trained their greys to sit and some shake hands.

Personally I think it depends on how much time you're willing to devote to training them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I also plan on owning just one greyhound at a time, at least until I am settled/married in my own house. I dont think I could deal with two dogs right away.

So if having one grey versus multiples makes any difference, I am interested in that as well.

Honestly, greys listen very well to a simple 'no' or 'ut uh' when in trouble. Mine know different commands and listen the majority of the time (honestly, do most dogs listen all the time?). I have clear boundaries for my 2, and they are pretty good about sticking to them, with the occasional need for a stern 'no'. Also, I have taught mine when walking 'turn' means to go away from me (to the left as they both walk on my left side) and 'this way' means to come to the right (towards me). They also have to 'wait' for their food and if they break and get off their bed before I give the 'okay', then they have to wait that much longer. Honestly, mine know 'down' and 'sit' and will do it when asked...but remember greyhounds have extra muscle in their hind ends so a sit isn't the most comfortable for them. As for 'come', all I have to do is either call their name or walk in to the kitchen (or move around a bag that sounds like a treat bag) and I have 2 hounds running to find me! :lol I am able to cross 5 lanes of traffic confidently with my 2 as I know I can stop in the middle turn lane with a simple 'stand' and both dogs will wait until I say 'okay'...but again, these are commands that I use on a daily basis. I also make the dogs 'stand' when I am cleaning up their business while out on our walks.

Hope this helps!

I should add that my male's foster mom worked with him before I got him as all her hounds were extremely well behaved...I think she was a certified pet trainer at one point, or something like that. I just had to keep working with him and then I did add in a few other commands as well. My female, well, she is fairly easy to train and picked up a lot from watching my male who I had first. She is big in to pleasing her owner and doesn't like to be in trouble (although she does try to sneak things, like eating cat food, which Pop has never touched!).

I do have friends who think I am 'strict' with my dogs and think I will be if I have children...but then again, when my hounds play with their toys if the toy lands on the furniture, that is the end of play time...all toys are picked up for 1/2 hour and the pups know it...they stop playing immediately...although they usually just avoid throwing their toys on the furniture and just whip them everywhere else in the apartment! Mine don't know that they can get on furniture and have never tried, which makes it so I still have places to sit!

I have used a pet psychic before and when she did a reading on Pop, out of the blue she goes 'Pop likes his boundaries and wants you to continue them, but he will push the boundaries every now and then.' This was before I got Zelda, who also seems to thrive on her boundaries...both are crated when I am gone and if I don't crate them when I leave, but just muzzle them, they give me this look like 'but, but, this isn't right!'...either way they get a treat for being good by going in their crate or letting me muzzle them, but they prefer their crates while I am gone.

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Phoenix learned a lot in obedience school and does really well with sit, down, etc. Treasure learned absolutely nothing in obedience school but she sure looked cute! To be honest, the only commands that I care about are "wait" and "stay", which they both do. There are other ways of establishing yourself as pack leader than teaching commands. I concentrated on not allowing the dogs to run me over on the stairs and waiting for me to walk out the door first. Despite their lack of commands, they are still the gentlest, best behaved dogs I know.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I have had up to 4 hounds, and we're at 3 now. All of them come when they are called and go out when I tell them to. They heal kind of but as long as they aren't pulling that's fine with me. All of them have learned to sit.

Tonight I was taking one to the vet and Peanut really wanted to come. A firm stay was all it took for her to stop in her tracks. They mostly lie down when I tell them to. Jet will go or down stairs if I tell him to.

I've know many greyhounds who have done obedience and done well.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ThunderPaws

Greyhounds are much more aloof than border collies who love to work for their people and willingly follow commands.

I learned that first hand when I attended agility classes with my greyhound. He did well and he really enjoyed jumps and tunnels. But he did it because HE liked it and not because I asked him to. Although it is possible to train a greyhound things like agility and obedience, they will probably never be as motivated and give 150% like a border collie or lab.

I raised my agility greyhound from a puppy, which tells you that it is true personality for all greyhounds (to an extend), not only retired racers.

I also tried agility with my afghan hound.. well.. we looked pretty stupid... :blush Afghan hounds are one of the most aloof breeds. :rolleyes:

Many greyhounds on this forum have learned obedience, become therapy dogs, done rally and lure coursing, and can generally do anything that other dogs can do. It depends on your patience level! The biggest problem is that many greyhounds are not food or treat motivated when they first come off the track. Following commands is just not something they have EVER had to do in training or racing (other than a simple "kennel up!").

They're not dumb dogs or particularly obstinate, they are just "differently motivated" than other breeds. They are also rather sensitive to corrections and a harsh word can send them diving for the floor or the closet. A full-blown "alpha pack leader" display is likely to be too much for them and will cause fear rather than respect.

If you're an experienced trainer and believe you can modify your technique to the dog in question, then there really isn't a reason NOT to get a greyhound.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, I am mainly looking to teach commands that EVERY dog should know for their safety. These include "stay" "heel/dont pull" "come" "down" "leave it" and "wait". If my dog can succsessfully learn those, I will be happy with that. I would be devastated if I had a poorly behaved dog (any breed), or if not knowing a simple command caused an injury or death. To me, obedience (commands I listed above) when asked is an absolute must.

Thanks everyone for your input, it makes me feel better! I was really hoping I didnt have to scratch this breed off my list over this worry.

More advice/input still welcome!!

Mine listen when they want to

They all "sit" and Passion and Diamond will "down"

Most will "stay" but only if they want to and that isn't often

They all pretty much come when I call unless they don't want to :lol

I have 2 fosters right now and they just follow my pups so they do what I say but they don't know they are doing it.

I feel pretty lucky as my pups are perfect for me. Diamond and Passion can be pretty naughty but it's usually related to food.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

well Queen has been with us for a month and she does "come" and "down" real well. as for heel, we have not done that a lot yet as I cannot see her well and am afraid I will hit her with my wheelchair.

As for going out, as soon as I transfer from my manual wheelie chair to my outside power chair she is ready to go, and stands to my left and behind so we can get her collar/leash on and open the door.

Funny thing, she won't go in front of me out the door, but when we are in the driveway she is willing to walk in front.

she will trot next to me when I am "at speed" and an arms length away and positions herself to my left with extra room when I open the gate for our afternoon and evening back yard time, and WILL walk in front of me into the backyard and stay far enough away so I can spin in place, shut the gate and let her loose.

Remember "sit" as a command for greys is not all that easy for them, and down may work better.{some do sit, and some will sit if they have a soft spot,Queen will sit on her bed because she is cushioned...

I have had my first grey for a year, he can bow on command,come when called, knows the word NO, In, Out,Up,(as to get in the SUV). but if you want a dog thats whole reason for being is to cue in on you get a bird dog,they are a breed that is bred to look to you for approval and to please you, I love my grey's attitude, peaceful, quiet and looks at me from his bed trying to figure out what is going on in ther kitchen, choose wisley

Guest Energy11

Do keep in mind, that NO greyhound should ever be let off lead (without being in a fenced area). To me, and I don't care how well-trained they are ... these are sighthounds, and they WILL chase something if they see it, and they are "deaf," to everything when they are doing so. I would NEVER trust mine off lead. All of the adoption groups will tell you the same, as well.

Edited by Energy11

Guest shanesmom

My greyhound Elton is a certified therapy dog. He is very smart. He knows all the basic safety commands and more. Lays down, stays, drops it, and walks perfect on a leash too. He always comes when called. He even bows on command and has just started catching treats tossed to him just because I wanted to teach him something new and he likes to learn. He's a 9 year old grey that I adopted at 6. He wants to please and was easy to teach. The only thing he will not do is sit. He doesn't do it on his own either.

Two out of three of mine do really well with commands, Steak and Carmen. Steak is my newest but he is very smart and eager to please. I don't really ask much from them tho, my only real requirement is to be respectful. I don't allow them to jump on me unless I ask them to do so. They all walk great. As far as coming when called. Isis, my older broody, will only do that if there is something in it for her :lol The others all come running if I call. However, if we are at the ball field and something runs by or flies by all bets are off. Carmen is about my only one that 90% of the time will continue coming to me when called and not be distracted by other things.

My parents owned an obedience teaching group when I was a kid. We never had greyhounds in that group. But I do think that Steak and Carmen have the ability and the desire to do obedience. Madi and Isis really could care less. Their only job is to look pretty, and they do a great job at it :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest 3greysinPA

Faye came from the prison program and she was taught a few simple commands such as sit and come.

The rest of my pack... kind of listen, :P ... the only thing they really know is the word 'No'.

we are here to help...

:)

Edited by 3greysinPA

Guest scfilby

Greys, can be TAUGHT to obey commands. Most greys pet out as adults, so the training will start later in life then usual, but just like most other breeds, some are easier to work with then others. Greyhounds are smart and catch on very quickly.

Greyhounds have had to do only one thing their entire life, race. Before they retire, no one expects them to sit, fetch, play dead, roll over or shake a paw. No one asks them to "come", and no one expects them to. While they are "working", greys are not pets, they are workers, and are taught the skills needed to perform their duties.

What you see on this board for the most part are people who have taken these dogs into their home, and understand that they are retired and will live out their days on a couch. IMO few people here are interested in training their pups to obey commands other then recall for safety, at least I know if they come when I call them, and they "Drop" it or "cut it out" when chewing on the beagle, I am happy. Thats all I want.

Having said all that, I know that if I were to work on it, my greys are capable of learning commands. But they will not come to you already knowing obedience. In fact, straight off the track, they don't even know what stairs or carpeting is.

There are many people on here that have therapy dogs, lure coursing, and obstacle course pups. For us, not crapping on the floor is all the training we require.

eta=fat fingers

Edited by scfilby

My boy Opie knows some commands, and listens fairly well. He knows "back up", which is very handy as we have a small kitchen, and he is a very big boy!. He usually comes to me when I call him at the dog park. His best command is "Wait". When I am preparing his food, he has to wait until I give the command to come eat. Once I was talking to DH, and forgot to tell him to eat, and he just stood there, drooling and licking until I realized what I had done (or NOT done)!! :eek Poor baby, when I finally said OK, get your dinner, he bolted over there!! :lol

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Energy11

Greys, can be TAUGHT to obey commands. Most greys pet out as adults, so the training will start later in life then usual, but just like most other breeds, some are easier to work with then others. Greyhounds are smart and catch on very quickly.

Greyhounds have had to do only one thing their entire life, race. Before they retire, no one expetcs them to sit, fetch, play dead, roll over or shake a paw. No one asks them to "come", and no one expects them to. While they are "working", greys are not pets, they are workers, and are taught the skills needed to perform their duties.

What you see on this board for the most part are people who have taken these dogs into their home, and understand that they are retired and will live out their days on a couch. IMO few people here are interested in training their pups to obey comands other then recall for safety, at least I know if they come when I call them, and they "Drop" it or "cut it out" when chewing on the beagle, I am happy. Thats all I want.

Having said all that, I know that if I were to work on it, my greys are capable of learning commands. But they will not come to you already knowing obedience. In fact, straight off the track, they don't even know what stairs or carpeting is.

There are many people on here that have therapy dogs, lure coursing, and obsticle cource pups. For us, not crapping on the floor is all the training we require.

My feelings, exactly! My dogs, at least, are here to enjoy every second of their lives, and yes, they know some "commands ..." NO, stop, etc. If I say "biscuits," they will come from anywhere :-)) But, Me? I don't want "trained dogs," or I'd have a lab :-)) Again, though, if they can be trained as Certified Therapy Dogs, as my friends' two are, guess they can do anything. I just don't want that from mine. They have ME trained, and that is the way I like it :-))

Most greyhounds can learn to respond well to most commands. BUT:

1. Teaching them is a *very* different proposition from teaching a working dog. You have to find what motivates them. They mostly don't care about pleasing you, yet they're mostly "soft" dogs. Heavy-handed, top-down, "alpha" stuff, traditional leash snaps, etc. don't work well. Clicker training, other positive techniques, patience, and/or ingenuity are required.

2. If you have one with a high prey drive, there are times when that is going to take precedence to anything and everything you've taught, including things that you were convinced you'd taught to 100% perfection. One tenth of a split second, they're in the zone and no longer hear or see anything but their prey object. So, it's really up to you and your awareness of your surroundings to keep the dog safe. You can't rely on commands to do that.

Fun dogs to train if you like solving puzzles. Sometimes you get lucky and have one who will work for food, like my Joseph. Even with him, though, gotta watch out for the prey drive.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jerzyjen

My girls know commands that are part of the routine, and Ginger knows lots of things if I have a cookie in my hand. For example, they must wait to be released to eat and they never have a problem. I put the bowls down, ask for a lay down, tell them wait, back away and at random intervals tell them to take it and they do it pretty much perfectly everytime (my new scaredy girl is even getting it down pretty good by watching the other 2). However, if we were at the park and I dropped the leash and asked for a lay down and wait, I'm sure it wouldn't work - I WILL NEVER TEST THAT THEORY by the way.

My girls know "no" "come here", "lay down", "wait", & "take it". Ginger knows "give me paw" "tell me a story (bark on command)", "rollover", "out of the kitchen" on top of the basics. To be honest, I don't think I worked all that hard to get them to that point. I am the alpha, but I just needed to be confident to get there. I don't usually even have to raise my voice, a quiet "no" works just fine. They are smart, but they are a bit more sensitive and I think a hard handed method of obedience may not work well. I do most of my training similar to Victoria Stillwell from Animal Planet.

I think a greyhound could be the pet you are looking for, but you might want to discuss your expectations with the group you adopt with so maybe they can try to match you with the right grey. They all have different personalities, some are totally food motivated or eager to please, and others can be more aloof and perhaps a bigger challenge. I know several greys that are certified therapy dogs. I'm not sure that I've seen one that is as eager to please as much as a retriever or border collie, however, greys are less maintence in the exercise department (typically).

Guest Energy11

Most greyhounds can learn to respond well to most commands. BUT:

1. Teaching them is a *very* different proposition from teaching a working dog. You have to find what motivates them. They mostly don't care about pleasing you, yet they're mostly "soft" dogs. Heavy-handed, top-down, "alpha" stuff, traditional leash snaps, etc. don't work well. Clicker training, other positive techniques, patience, and/or ingenuity are required.

2. If you have one with a high prey drive, there are times when that is going to take precedence to anything and everything you've taught, including things that you were convinced you'd taught to 100% perfection. One tenth of a split second, they're in the zone and no longer hear or see anything but their prey object. So, it's really up to you and your awareness of your surroundings to keep the dog safe. You can't rely on commands to do that.

Fun dogs to train if you like solving puzzles. Sometimes you get lucky and have one who will work for food, like my Joseph. Even with him, though, gotta watch out for the prey drive.

AMEN, on the high prey drive! Goldie and Staggerlee HEAR NOTHING if there is "prey" around, and I a well-aware of this.