Possible Lymphoma

Ace had some bloodwork done the other day when we were in for her weird eye issue. I stopped into the office today to pick up her soloxine and talked to the vet. Her liver and kidney numbers look good, but her WBC count is high...not just high but RIDICULOUSLY high. Also there was a leukocyte panel that was done that targets certain areas (I guess :dunno) and the leukocyte (also WBCs) was off the charts high. The doctor said that could indicate something serious like lymphoma. :(

After he said that I think my brain shut off. I didn't even get a good look at the numbers to know exactly HOW high they were. I just know they were ridiculously high.

It should be noted that she had a temp of 103.5 at the time of the blood draw...today her temp is normal and she has been eating. Vet SAID that the eye infection wouldn't cause numbers like that, but, maybe it could?

He wants us to come in on Monday for him to check her out more thoroughly. He said that her lymph nodes felt fine when he examined her on Saturday, but he'd like to take a better look and possibly get some cells from a lymph node to send off for testing (:dunno). He also said we would probably put her on antibiotics and repeat bloodwork. My brain was so foggy at the mention of lymphoma that I didn't even think to say, "why don't you give me the antibiotics now?" I don't want to wait until Monday to get them started if she just has something little going on that can be fixed with antibiotics! They're closed for the day but I'm *pretty* sure they're open tomorrow in the morning, so I'll call right at 8 and ask if I can pick some up and get her going.

I'm really trying to be positive and not get upset until we know something for sure, but, the mere mention of cancer has me reeling. I've been crying off and on. As soon as I walked out of the vet's office I burst into tears. I called my mom in tears and called my greyhound friend from wayyyy back too. I burst into tears on the phone earlier when I called Mark. She just can't be sick. She's my little peanut. She's only 8 years old! We need her here!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Energy11

Recently, the lymph glands in Goldie's NECK, and NO PLACE ELSE were swollen. Because I keep three types of antibiotics on hand, at all times, I started her on Amoxicillin, for few days to see if that made a difference. It did. BUT, I have appointment on 1/5 to get bloodwork done on her, JUST TO BE SURE! I don't THINK it is anything, but I need to know. In YOUR case, had I been the vet, I might have prescribed antibiotics FIRST to see if it IS an infection, and go from there. If you want, call the vet back, and ask for some antibiotics to use, at least, over the weekend, to see if they make a difference. Good luck, and lots of love!!!

Edited by Energy11

Many good thoughts for Ace!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

:grouphug Hope it turns out to be "nothing"

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Try not to panic. Ollie's bloods were off too a couple of week ago with a temp of

104.5 :eek

it wound being a virus.

Keeping Ace in our thoughts and prayers

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Try not to panic. Ollie's bloods were off too a couple of week ago with a temp of

104.5 eek.gif

it wound being a virus.

Keeping Ace in our thoughts and prayers

Oh Robin thank you for that. What did you do for Ollie? Did it just have to pass?

I haven't done any research yet as I have to work the third shift tonight in the computer room (I just got in). So maybe later tonight I'll have time to do some reading.

She is still excited to play and go outside so I'm hoping that *if* she does have something serious, we have caught it early and might have a better range of options for treatment.

I just keep taking deep breaths but I feel like the world has been ripped out from under me. It killed me to come in to work tonight and leave her at home. If we didn't have security guards here I'd have brought her with me and she could lay on a bed while I work.

Mark keeps saying "let's not worry until we need to" and I'm trying to keep that in my head for now.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Get a couple days of antibiotics in her before you panic, OK? Easier said than done, I know. Sending scritchies and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope hope hope they are open tomorrow and will give me some antibiotics. I have TONS of tetracycline at home (Pinky takes it daily), but I don't know that tetracycline would be the choice here...I'd guess he'd prescribe some cephalexin or amoxacillin...I have a day or so of cephalexin but that's it.

That's really too bad he gave you the very worst possible diagnosis as an option and then jsut leaving you to worry. Perhaps a viral infection is a good possibility. It certainly is a cause for fever and increased white count but the differential is important to know there. It could be bacterial. Please don't give any unprescribed AB's though. And try not to worry too much. But I know that's impossible!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'll just call the vet in the morning as soon as they should be open. I have to be in to work at 10am but if they are open and can't have it ready til later, I can have my mom pick it up. She got choked up on the phone today when I called her after leaving the vet's office. The dogs are her grandbabies.