Here Is A New One... Guarding Puke

Last night after Ollie had his dose of drontal for roundwarms, he was chewing on a hoof for a while. I went to take the hoof and it was vitually all gone. Maybe 1/4 left. At about midnight I hear and see him puking. It was a lot considering what time he ate (around 5). When I went to clean it up- he was laying where he did it and started grrrrrring at both me and Rich when we went to clean it up.

Was he hoping to eat this as a snack? We leashed him and moved him away from the pile and cleaned it. I was just wondering if he was guarding this as an extension of him?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Okay. . .just for the record. If I should ever puke on your floor (well, any floor for that matter) I will not growl at someone nice enough to clean it up for me!! haha!! :lol

This has never happened and I have seen my share of puke! And this boy is so passive and so quiet that I as stunned. I said to him "excuse me"! And he did it again! :lol

Not loud and not evil sounding... but he definitely wanted to keep his puke for later... NOT!

Anyway- It's gone!

:puke Very common behavior, although I am yelling at them to stay away from "it" and they will growl at another dog if they get too close. Never growled at me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Oh Robin, imagine freshly killed and eaten rabbit coming up and onto the carpet. I had to get a chair out and put it over the rabbit puke (body parts) before I could get the puker out of the area for clean up. Guarding our puke seems to run in my hound family.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Sweetreba

Well you gave me my laugh for the day. If my guys ever do this I will remember all who wrote here. My Petey is a mouser but I have been able to remove them before the swallow and recycle. hehe

Guest scfilby

Oh Robin, imagine freshly killed and eaten rabbit coming up and onto the carpet. I had to get a chair out and put it over the rabbit puke (body parts) before I could get the puker out of the area for clean up. Guarding our puke seems to run in my hound family.

:lol I mean... poor rabbit.. :(

Every dog I have ever seen loose lunch has tried to put it back.. Can't say I've ever seen anyone guard the "treat" though..

Mickey does this. When he eats something dangerous, I have to have something handy to cover the puke before he eats it again. He growls at me if I try to get it away from him. If I give him the peroxide in the house he will run outside to puke and guard the treasure when he sees me coming. None of my other dogs do this.

I said to him "excuse me"! And he did it again! :lol

We've never met and I can totally see this and hear your voice. ROFL

Yeah, dogs are weird.

Still giggling here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

This really made me laugh Robin. I can clean up poop all day but I have a low gag reflex when it comes to puke be it from animal or human. I do what has to be done but that is the worst for me, seeing them re-eating it. :sick

I said to him "excuse me"! And he did it again! :lol

We've never met and I can totally see this and hear your voice. ROFL

Yeah, dogs are weird.

Still giggling here.

Right? :lol

This really made me laugh Robin. I can clean up poop all day but I have a low gag reflex when it comes to puke be it from animal or human. I do what has to be done but that is the worst for me, seeing them re-eating it. :sick

Interesting that you said this. I have 2 kids. One is 29- she puked once- when she was 10 and we were in the pharmacy. I went to the front counter and said- clean up- asile 10 and left.

MY son who is 18 threw up when he was 2- i was so shocked - I called poison control. The guy said, Lady call your pediatrician.

When I pregnant I prayed for healthy babies who did not puke! I can't deal with puke either so when Ollie wanted to eat/guard it- (my others don't puke often at all and if they do- they walk away) I almost fell over. AND this was something that woke me up out of a sound sleep. Nice.

Guest TeddysMom

I never was able to have children and the older I got I realized that I probably couldn't have handled it. Dogs are so much easier :lol DH just laughs when I have to clean up puke because I gag, my eyes water and I usually have to hold my breath so I don't get any smell. I have no idea what makes that different than runny poop.

Guest BlueCrab

OMG you people are killing me here! I keep telling myself I should NEVER read Greytalk at work. People are peeking into my office wondering why I'm laffing out loud. The whole lot of you should be writing for a sitcom someplace! :lol

We don't seem to have any pukers in residence now except for the cats. In the "old house" Maverick cat would always aim for DH's bathroom floor. In the "new house", the cats find the cleanest, whitest piece of carpet. Nice. The dogs don't seem to have any interest, which is fine by me.

Our bridge boy Duke was a world champeen puker and conniseur (sp?) of all things vomit. Cat's, his, didn't matter. All fine dining. He would guard tons of stuff that he stole - and he stole everything (makeup, full cans of cat food which he could open and empty in seconds, full cans of soda which he could open and empty in seconds - while they fizzed about around his head and all over the living room). And yes, on the rare occasion when he was too green for instant recycling, he'd guard his puke with great ruckus and gnashing of teeth.

Edited by BlueCrab

Never got growled at, but maybe that was because I'm slow compared to these dogs and it was often "cleaned up" before I could get there with the paper towels.

I had a cat who was a frequent puker, and the instant Eve the ChowGreyhound heard that first heave, she'd race to the cat and position her muzzle under the puking cat's mouth. Stuff never hit the floor. We called it "in-flight refueling."

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RaspberryRachel

LOL!

Greyhounds in the racing kennel eat so fast that sometimes they swallow huge air bubbles and throw their food up seconds after they've eaten it. We usually just let them eat it again (if its fresh, obviously.. haha). Ollie probably thought you would let him save it for later!

OMG you people are killing me here! I keep telling myself I should NEVER read Greytalk at work. People are peeking into my office wondering why I'm laffing out loud. The whole lot of you should be writing for a sitcom someplace! :lol

We don't seem to have any pukers in residence now except for the cats. In the "old house" Maverick cat would always aim for DH's bathroom floor. In the "new house", the cats find the cleanest, whitest piece of carpet. Nice. The dogs don't seem to have any interest, which is fine by me.

Our bridge boy Duke was a world champeen puker and conniseur (sp?) of all things vomit. Cat's, his, didn't matter. All fine dining. He would guard tons of stuff that he stole - and he stole everything (makeup, full cans of cat food which he could open and empty in seconds, full cans of soda which he could open and empty in seconds - while they fizzed about around his head and all over the living room). And yes, on the rare occasion when he was too green for instant recycling, he'd guard his puke with great ruckus and gnashing of teeth.

Oh, cat puke! My crew thinks that is the BEST. As soon as a cat starts retching, you can hear the greyhound claws scrabbling on the hardwood... everyone NEEDS to be the first hound there - the early hound gets the cat-puke! NO one guards it though, they all happily share.

Well the trick is to not stick around to watch!!

I work in a slaughter house and I've been around all manners of 'icky' with no problems. However anything that is regurgitated throws me into a tail-spin.

When I have come across a pile of puke I walk into another room and pray that one of the crew will come and clean it up and I can return a while later and clean up the spot on the floor. They haven't let me down yet!

I once drove with my BF to take his dog to the vet and on the way home his dog puked on a dog blanket in the back of the car. I had to pull over and insisted that he take the dog blanket and just throw it in the dumpster I had pulled over at. BF was insisting that it could be washed, I said, 'It's an effing dog blanket, pitch it before I puke!'

Zim guards her puke. I found out the hard way with a bite (not serious). Now when she gets sick I just wait till she walks away to clean it up. I have tile & old carpeting. I figure if she eats it again (which she has done) she is just cleaning up after herself B)