Updated: Took Lola To The Vet

Guest argolola

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad and my friend helped us out and I just got home from taking Lola to Rudy's vet in Jacksonville. The practice doctors are the track vets, so they are very greyhound savvy. She is on IV fluids and meds and we will bring her home tonight. They will show me how to administer the bags through a needle in her leg. (Julie I may have to call you again...lol.) We should have taken her here to start with but it's quite a distance from home plus our old vet has been so good to Lola through the years (her dog attack, eye surgery, etc.) We should know more later today. Thank you everyone for your support.

That's who I go to and they are very good. Dr. Nash owns the practice and the other doctors are Dr McMillian and Dr Neihaus.

Hope she gets well soon!

Edited because I saw your post on FB!

Edited by mimosasmom

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Excellent update! :) Keeping the prayers and light flowing to your baby girl... :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest argolola

My dad and my friend helped us out and I just got home from taking Lola to Rudy's vet in Jacksonville. The practice doctors are the track vets, so they are very greyhound savvy. She is on IV fluids and meds and we will bring her home tonight. They will show me how to administer the bags through a needle in her leg. (Julie I may have to call you again...lol.) We should have taken her here to start with but it's quite a distance from home plus our old vet has been so good to Lola through the years (her dog attack, eye surgery, etc.) We should know more later today. Thank you everyone for your support.

That's who I go to and they are very good. Dr. Nash owns the practice and the other doctors are Dr McMillian and Dr Neihaus.

Hope she gets well soon!

Edited because I saw your post on FB!

They are wonderful vets! We had both Drs. Nash and McMillian yesterday.

It's our turn to pray for you -- and Lola. You're doing a wonderful job despite the fact you're broke and have a vet who won't take payments from a trusted client like you. I don't understand why so many vets do that to long-time clients. :huh

Sounds like you'll have better luck with the vets in Jacksonville. :goodluck

Sending prayers for your girl.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest argolola

Thank you everyone. She is a bit better today. We will re-introduce water tonight and tomorrow I take her back to Jacksonville to get the catheter out. I can give sub-q fluids after that with the lactated ringers. It is good stuff.

Here are some pictures: 12/12/09 in the afternoon laying on the bed with the toy from her secret santa and 12/14/09 in the evening getting her new fluid IV. Can't you see an improvement?

post-2911-12609095597521_thumb.jpg

post-2911-12609095841523_thumb.jpg

Edited by argolola

Guest Energy11

You are doing a GREYT job! You should be proud of how you are handling this, not being a medical professional. It till take time for her to handle anything by mouth. Yes, the Lactated Ringers is WONDERFUL stuff! As I mentioned prior, just think of it as "Gatorade!" She looks good! Love, hugs and MANY prayers! Dee and The Five :wub::wub:

She looks much better. I hope her stomach feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

You probably want to take her in anyway, but if the only thing they're going to do is take out the catheter, you can do it at home. I did, and if I can do it, you can! And maybe nicer than they would.

Here's what I did (with vet's permission, btw!)

Take off the vet wrap, being careful not to pull on the catheter. Get some vegetable oil, and soak the adhesive bandages down to the skin. You may need to add more as you go down in layers. When it's nice and soaked (takes a moment, may help to sort of rub it in), just start unwrapping it. Have some sterile gauze (just a pad, not for wrapping), and some fresh vet wrap ready. When you get down to just the cath, put the gauze over where it goes under the skin, and just pull the cath out, pressing down with the gauze, and wrap securely *but not too tightly* with vet wrap. Don't worry, she won't shoot blood all over the place. Think when you give blood: no real biggy. You can take that bandage off in a few hours.

Our vet's office told me to just cut the tape and "take it off", but it would have taken her skin and fur, too! The oil works great to just dissolve the adhesive.

I'm so sorry you all are going through this! It's just awful when they feel so bad, and finances are so tight, isn't it?

:bighug:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest argolola

Thank you everyone. Last night, she actually had several tiny servings of vanilla Ensure and kept it down, but I did see one small spot where she threw up within the last few hours. I still think we have improvement every day. I will see if the vet is impressed with her progress, as we go back this afternoon.

Guest argolola

What a roller coaster. We were thrilled with Lola's progress, so the vet had the catheter removed. She is drinking water and only threw up a little bit 3x since yesterday afternoon, which is a huge improvement. Upon examining her eyes, he sees a yellow tinge to the whites of the eyes. He is mildly concerned about jaundice, but said it could also be from the inflamed pancreas. Her CBC was fine except for AMY (would liver function be on the CBC?) Any input? Thanks so much.

http://www.vetmed.ws...ientED/lab.aspx

This is a link from WA State U. on CBC contents. It would include liver values, one of which is ALT and I forget the other one.

Hope this helps!

Mary

ETA: Oops! I think perhaps it's not necessarily in the CBC. Perhaps it's part of a "complete chemistry profile."

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).