Aquitaine's Day At The Emergency Vet

Oh, the visual! Seriously, if she's eating and peeing ok, please do not panic! She needs you to be calm and provide direction as the pack leader. Do your best. She knows you love her and that's all that matters to her. You are her world. Sending prayers that all will be taken care of tomorrow.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest NHgreys

Poor Aquitaine! Emergency vet visits are never fun and it sounds like yours was an even bigger challenge! Not sure why her other leg would become swollen at all, let alone this many days after all this happened. Don't panic, she's probably fine :)

update?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I just spoke to my vet. I am monitoring the swelling for the weekend. He said as long as the catheter site itself isn't infected (and that is extremely rare) that this should resolve itself. I have watched her getting off her mattress which is now on the floor, she is using the front leg for leverage so I think that is where the problem originated. She got herself up twice during the night (3:45 and 5:30 am) to walk around a little. I gave up at 5:30 and got up myself (only to find that the upstairs neighbor's radiator was leaking through my ceiling...what next...).

She has done a couple of laps around the apartment today and been fairly steady. She stood up to eat her dinner. I am icing both legs every few hours. I am going to take her out in a few minutes and then it is Tramadol and bed for her and yoga mat and the floor next to her for me.

Please keep the good thoughts coming, they seem to be working for her. Thank you all.

Hope your girl continues to heal and feels better.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

sorry to hear that this recovery has not been an easy process. continued good wishes for aquitane.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Downtownhoundz

Hope by now she is feeling better.Kylie's leg swelled up from the catheter in her leg,I'm thinking it's just from the fluids that were given to her..it did go back down and I hope by now her's has as well. Hugs to you both!

Sending many healing wishes to your baby girl!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Aquitaine seems to have made improvement on the overnight. She got up a couple of times to do laps around the apartment. I laid on the ground quelling my urge to follow her so that she could do it on her own. We did 1/2 of her normal pee-run walk this morning (1 block out/1 block back) and she got to see a couple of pups which made her happy.

The swelling is still there but has gone down enough so that I can see actual toe definition. So, more icing and more bed rest for her.

Thank you all for your caring and good wishes. They are definitely helping her.

hoping the booboo better cookies will soon be there......

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest LindsaySF

Glad she seems to be doing better! And that the swelling has gone down.

When Sophie (seizure foster) was here she spent a night at the vet for observation and had a catheter in. She also had blood drawn a few weeks later to check her phenobarb levels. Both times her leg swelled and she had some bruising. The vet described it as a "bubble" after the blood draw and said the swelling should go down in a few hours, and it did. Sometimes it lasts up to a week or more. The swelling is from irritation to the vein, and bruising can be from blood that escapes the vein and gets trapped under the skin.

I have read to use warm compresses instead of ice but I don't remember why. I think the warmth stimulates blood flow? I think with an injured or inflamed vein they worry about clots forming.

~Lindsay~

Last night was a 4 lap around the apartment night and this morning she actually tried to do her "downward dog" stretch. The swelling has decreased further which must be good news. She is really tired of being muzzled all the time so I am trying to keep it off when we are just sitting around the house. She has been trying to use the Christmas tree to rub the muzzle off of her nose. I was careful when putting up the ornaments to put only unbreakable ones in that spot.

I appreciate the catheter information. Oddly, she has had no bruising, just the swelling. I am going to stop icing since the swelling has gone down so much.

Thank you for all the good thoughts.

glad to hear she's improving!!! :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway