Need Help With A Rash

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

This past summer Soul developed a kind of 'heat rash' on his bald belly. It wasn't too bad, just some red spot on his inner thighs, from chaffing when he ran in the yard. Well, now it's winter and he's not running as much but the rash is getting worse because he keeps licking it. Any suggestions on what I can do to help clear it up? Bag Balm is not working this time . . .

Thanks!

Guest greytbookert

I don't have much experience with rashes but maybe, just maybe some Calendula gel would help? I have some if you want me to send it to you.

Actually, when T was all rashy when he first got here, we used the calendula and we also used green tea bags on his really bad spots.

Edited by greytbookert

Guest SoulsMom
I don't have much experience with rashes but maybe, just maybe some Calendula gel would help? I have some if you want me to send it to you.

Actually, when T was all rashy when he first got here, we used the calendula and we also used green tea bags on his really bad spots.

Oh, good idea--I'll try the tea bags. I need somethin "non-toxic" since he'll probably lick at it. Never heard of Calendula gel, is it safe? And you don't have to send it to me, I'll probably be there tomorrow night :P

Benedryl gel works well for us. Interesting that Soulman gets a little chafe from running. My girls run hard every day. They have never developed a rash from it. Good luck!

Well, he's so bald that I can see how it would happen from the heat, but now it's because he keeps licking and licking it :huh

Guest greytbookert
Oh, good idea--I'll try the tea bags. I need somethin "non-toxic" since he'll probably lick at it. Never heard of Calendula gel, is it safe? And you don't have to send it to me, I'll probably be there tomorrow night :P

Calendula is safe, it is a flower or herb or something that is made into a gel. Yes, I'm showing my earthy crunchy side :) We used it on T's "coin purse", since it took forever for that to heal after his neuter. When I say T was one big rash, he was but a lot of it had to do with his food allergies. He was on quite the battery of natural remedies, since we didn't know at that point what the rash was all about. I recall him licking it too and he is ok... well, depending on the definition of ok, I guess :lol

The more I think about this rash for Soulman, the more I'm rethinking... since it has been around for awhile, it might need a little help in "drying" out, like the benedryl or alcohol, both would dry quickly on the skin, so I don't think licking would be an issue. This is all speculative though, I'm certainly not a vet and my exposure to the DL is limited to Soul, so take all my advice with a grain of salt

I'll keep it here for you for tomorrow :)

100% sure it isn't -a- fleas, or -b- staph?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Dazzle had a similar sounding rash on the insides of her "belly-webs" recently. On the thin webs of flesh that join her back legs to her torso. She kept lick-lick-licking them until they were nasty looking sores. I put Benadryl cream on the rashes and taped the front of her muzzle to stop her licking. Took about two weeks for it to really heal up and go away. I never found out why she got rashy there to begin with (no food changes, no bugs, etc), but the Benadryl and muzzle worked for us.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I am not one to go running to the vet but my concern with rashes is that until they are identitified, you really don't know what to treat them with.

Feel better Soulman!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytbookert
You mean I need to take him to see Dr S? :gmark

Maybe... only because it has been persistant. It could be something that requires a medication versus my quirky herbal home remedies :)

Guest SoulsMom

Well, it's only persistant because he keeps licking it :wife

My Dazzle had a similar sounding rash on the insides of her "belly-webs" recently. On the thin webs of flesh that join her back legs to her torso. She kept lick-lick-licking them until they were nasty looking sores. I put Benadryl cream on the rashes and taped the front of her muzzle to stop her licking. Took about two weeks for it to really heal up and go away. I never found out why she got rashy there to begin with (no food changes, no bugs, etc), but the Benadryl and muzzle worked for us.

Yes! That's exactly what his is like

Guest sja5032

what about something for diaper rash?? sounds kind of like it keeps getting wet and that's why it stays so maybe something like that will help. No idea what you use for diaper rash, never had a baby or babysat but just an idea.

You really need to know what the rash is before treating it. My own allergy based rashes flare up even worse if I try putting all kinds of "stuff" on them. My Wizard had a rash on his groin that looked similar to what you describe, and it was a staph infection that required lengthy tx with antibiotics. If the rash is hanging around this long, I'd take him to a vet before messing with it any more.

Guest SoulsMom
You mean I need to take him to see Dr S? :gmark

Be brave Soul, be very brave!

I lubs my dokktor S! And (shhhhhhh) so does Miz Muir. She is crushed on hims :lol: Butt yu didn't heer it furm me :mum

SoulMan da seekrit spillin Ceasar

Edited by SoulsMom

To the vet, to the vet! :lol

Seriously, though, it could be mange or something else that may -- or may not -- need a prescription med as SusanP said about her Wizard.

Our Perri got a rash around her dewclaw when she was a few months old. I thought it was from an injury but a skin scraping ID'd it as demodectic mange! We didn't do anything with it b/c the vet said to wait and that these things usually clear up on their own. It did after she was spayed, but she wasn't licking it either so it healed well.

I would second the taped muzzle (or stool cup) idea, but would go with something a little less drastic in a disinfectant. IMHO: Band-Aid Brand has an antiseptic/analgesic wash (blue liquid) that offers the best of both worlds. (If it's safe for kids, I would use it on my girls.) My exhuberant Anna Banana is always cutting or scraping herself on something, and it works like a charm on her. Have used it on Fuzzy's (aka "The Bug Magnet) "itchies" and they disappear almost overnight! BUT, I truly believe that the muzzle is the key. I think you have to break the itch/lick cycle.

Good luck!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Happy had a rash that we couldn't figure out, and I tried bag balm and coconut oil: no good. I tried Rescue Cream, by the Rescue Remedy folks, and it worked. It's pretty benign, but I'd keep him from licking it. Maybe put some boxers on him?

You should try to figure out what it is, but one thought is, if he's licking it, maybe some bacteria from his mouth is contributing. Maybe just keeping him from licking it will help.

Besides, this Dr S sounds like a good enough excuse to me!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Have you thought about EMT Gel?? If he just needs to stop licking and there's no bad infection or disease, it can help.

chris ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly