Roo Is Aways Asleep!

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Hi all.......

Roo turns 10 this month....Yahhh :yay and she seems healthy....eating well....a fast run around the back yard everyday.....and a nice long walk.

however

over the past three months she has been sleeping more....and she goes to her crate (which she loves and sleeps in at night)....to go to bed around 8:00 at night....her crate is in another room....so shes going to bed....and she "Vants to be Alone..."

She has a big fluffy bed right next to me in the living room...but she wanders off to her lonely old crate..... :blink: in another room.

Around 10:00 I call her and she comes out of her crate for her last potty trip and a big "Cookie".....then she wanders back to her crate for the night.

When I wake up in the a.m. I can see her crate across the hall from my room....and she does not come out until I call her....and she is fine when she comes out...frisky and ready to start the day.

So is it normal for older dogs to sleep more...and is it normal for her to want to be alone? I work ...so she is alone all day.

She is normal in everyother way...no pain...no problems.....etc.

Thanks for you input!!

Edited by WarmheartedPups

I think it's pretty normal. Holly is now 10 1/2 and she likes to go to bed early. She will keep coming up to us and nudging us and then walk to the bottom of the stairs. If we don't come with her she will come back and nudge us some more. If we tell her to 'go on up' she'll go by herself and we'll find her in our bed. Dh is home with her all day and he says that she sleeps pretty much the whole time I'm gone, except during his lunch break when she'll go lay outside in the sun. She gets three walks a day though, so we keep her pretty tired :lol

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Yes, more sleep is normal. :) Give that sweet girl some extra kisses from me. :kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest budsmom

It might also be the cooler weather. When it gets to be this time of year Twiz has always slept more and sometimes I can't even get her up for the first potty in the morning.

Wouldn't hurt to get her checked out, but could be just normal. My senior sticks close to the people during the day, but once all events (think "cookie opportunities") are done for the evening she will often go off by herself to sleep. I make her get up and come in the bedroom with Joseph and me (I have to gate Joseph in and don't want her to not be able to get to me if she needs to go out).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

With the exception of Ekko, my seniors sleep more, but the wanting to be alone would concern me a bit.

Maybe get her in for a senior profile just to be safe, but more than likely, she's fine

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hi Linda,

Abby & Mindy are 11 now & sleep more now than they used to, but that's all that's changed since

I adopted them 7 years ago.

Abby & Mindy will go in their room & sleep sometimes, but ArchE & Lass follow me from room to room.

Maybe she just likes her crate? Mindy LOVED her crate & she would sleep in it no matter what room it was in & Abby would go in a lot to.

I bet if her crate was in the living room, she would sleep in there. :)

Please, Give Roo a kiss for me.

Edited by nyGreys

Echo has certainly changed as she's aged (She'll be 12 in May). She's definitely not as active as she was five years ago, but she has her moments. She likes to go to bed early and rises with the sun most days. Though immediately after morning out and breakfast, she's on the couch and snoring again. :lol

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest KiKi_Girl

You described KiKi to a 't'; however, she has been doing this since she was 18 months old and she will be 8 in January. She is an only dog and is home alone during the day but she prefers to be in my bedroom instead of the living room with me when I am home. If it is a dramatic change in her behavior then maybe a check is in order but I'd say she is just being a greyhound. :)

Bijou will be 12 in Feb. and for the last year or two she has slept more. She prefers to go back to my bedroom and sleep on a pile if blankets I have set up for her in the closet. That is her space and she loves it there. She still has her bout of energy and will join in with Tessa and Ellie to play for a few minutes but, like me, prefers a little peace and quiet. :lol

If you fell she is sleeping way too much a blood workup might night be bad just for peace of mind.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Beth is three and typically conks out around 8:00 -- I generally have to bribe her off the bed with treats to get her up for "last call" at 10:00 or so -- and even then that takes some work! She wouldn't get up at all if I didn't more or less force her. She generally rejoins the living around 7:30 in the morning.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest WarmheartedPups

Thanks you guys.....I think the sleeping sounds normal.....I am more concerned that she wants to be alone...maybe I am feeling rejected :blush ...maybe I am boring.... :blink:

Roo always..."Calls 'em like she see 'em"......"Mom ...you are boring...I am going to bed"..... :lol:

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Guest TBSFlame

Flame spends most of his time sleeping in the back bedroom. Jeremy sleeps on the sofa in the den (alone). Memmie is always touching me or laying near me, Riley likes being with me and Star just needs to be in the same room. Each one is different. Tessie was a loner also. She and Flame would stay in the back bedroom together all day. Tessie like to sleep on my bed. When I would go to bed, al lot of times, she would get down and go somewhere else to sleep.

Asta is 8 and definitely sleeps more than she used to, but to be honest, ours is a pretty quiet house. Not much activity, but the main thing is that she's ready to join in if something's going on, and always still happy for morning time, walks, rides, etc., and it sounds like Roo is too! I've also noticed that she wants to be alone more these days — but I've attributed that to her feeling completely secure. The routine here is awfully predictable, so there's nothing to worry about. If we're doing something different, though, like a house project, or if we have guests, she seems to spend a bit more time seeking us out.

I agree with everyone saying to get Roo checked out if something really seems off. But it sounds like you have a well-loved, very secure, laid-back houndie!!

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.