Help! Questions About Bone Cancer In Greys.

Guest dfriedri

Guest dfriedri

Thank you Janet and Robin for all your help.

I have emailed OSU with all the information I have so far. I will talk to my vet tomorrow and get everything else sent off that needs to be.

Keep you all posted!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Janet and Robin for all your help.

I have emailed OSU with all the information I have so far. I will talk to my vet tomorrow and get everything else sent off that needs to be.

Keep you all posted!

Just a tip; the people at OSU are wonderful but very very busy. I almost never got a response to my emails. If you want to keep things moving along do not be shy about calling them.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Hoping you got the "6AM" email from Dr. C.

Please update and as Tracey said- do not be afraid to call.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I just went thru this.

one month ago my Diamond was diagnosed. Since she was still limping pretty heavily with a high rimadyl and tramadol dose, we opted for amputation.

I drove out to OSU for it.

I can tell you that right now, less than 3 weeks post op, she feels much better than she did before the surgery. And the site isn't even healed yet (we have a minor complication with infection). But I can tell, she's out of the major pain of bone cancer.

by the way.......last week she celebrated her 12th birthday.

It was worth it.

And, OSU will give free chemo. So there's a break in the bill there.

Good luck with your decision. I will admit, this was the hardest decision I ever had to make. But Dr. Couto was very helpful with it.

Guest dfriedri

Just got off the phone with both my vet and OSU. My vet is more than happy to pass this off as he was feeling uncomfortable with doing an amp if I went that way. Now we wait.

Hello, welcome, but so sorry it is for this reason. Contacting Dr. Couto is the best thing you could have done. Joining Circle of Grey (see iluvgreys post) may also help you a lot, all the people there have been or are in a situation of a Greyhound with cancer. It is a very supportive group.

Our Jamey was diagnosed with osteo in late May, he had his right front leg amputated in early June, and then he had chemo. He is doing quite well! He just had his one month post chemo chest X-rays and his lungs were clear. He DOES have quality of life, he enjoys each and every day....just on 3 legs! He does not realize he is missing his leg, he has adapted well.

If your decision is to amputate, I would not wait too long, it is an aggressive cancer. Whatever your decision enjoy all the time you have left together.

:grouphug:grouphug to you both.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Another thing I want to add. If you are far enough away (I was 10 hrs away), you don't have to pay for hotels. There is a group of greyhound supporters there that will put you up in their home.

I stayed with Jane (joejoesmom). So not only did she open her home to me, she also came with me to OSU and stayed with me during the surgery. I can't express how much that meant to me.

So you have a strong support group while you're there. (not to mention, there are a gazillion greyhounds that go thru there daily! I felt so strongly it was the right thing to do.)

And Dr. Couto will tell you if he doesn't think it is the way to go.

Guest dfriedri

A little frustrated today! I have been on the phone with both my vet and ISU office several times trying to get the slides sent out to OSU. Everything got faxed that could yesterday but ISU is being difficult. At 12:30 (2nd phone call) they said they would have to get a release from my vet to send them to OSU. Person who needed to do it was out for lunch. She would call me back when she got that release. Never heard anything so called back a few minutes ago and the people I need to talk to are gone for the day. The lady I did talk to said they are waiting for a fax to release the slides. And they should go out Monday. So I asked if they can be overnighted on Monday and she couldn't guarantee anything but would leave a note. Aghhhh!

So guess we will keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't take OSU long to look at things once they get all the necessary information.

Star is feeling pretty good today. Last night we had a couple episodes of heavy breathing but and a little whining but today has been really good. I was able to give her some Tramadol with her Rimadyl and that seemed to help quite a bit. Unfortunately I woke up in the middle of the night to my cat having diahrea all over my bed. Had to give him a bath at 4 in the morning. If it isn't one thing it is another!

Guest dfriedri

Finally a person who cared about my dog!

Talked to a different vet at my office today and she not only located the slides but talked to Iowa State and they are FOR SURE going to send them to OSU Monday morning and overnight them! Hopefully we will hear from someone at OSU by Tuesday on poor Star and whether we should amputate that leg!

All fingers, toes, paws, everything! crossed for your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dfriedri

Thanks for the support. Star isn't having a very good day. Lots of panting. But I think that could be because of the Tramadol and Rimadyl combination. Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Anything else I can do to make her more comfortable?

Dani- you gave her the 100mg of tramadol and the rimadyl? HOw long ago?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Tramadol and Rimadyl are fine to give together. Rarely, dogs can have non-optimal reactions to either drug. It's often the tramadol that causes some panting and restlessness. Reactions to watch for with Rimadyl (and discontinue the med if seen) are mostly digestive effects -- sour tummy, vomiting, diarrhea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry that Star has gotten this terrible diagnosis. But I'm so glad that you found GT. Hopefully, you will check out Circle Of Grey as well. It sounds as if, otherwise, you wouldn't have that much support, and I commend you for being persistent in finding out what needs to be done, and what is best for your girl. Please remember that this is an extremely personal decision---no one here will tell you what is right or wrong. We are all doing what we think is best for our Greys because we love them. So try not to second guess yourself. Remember that your Star lives in the NOW, only aware that she is safe and loved, and not afraid of any sadness to come, whenever that might be. It is important to try and keep her pain managed as well as you possibly can, and make the most of each day that you are blessed to share.

It doesn't sound as if the vets in your area, though well-meaning, are as knowledgeable about Greys and osteo as they could be. OSU will be invaluable in their expertise, not to mention if you need chemo, cost-wise.

Too many of us here have experienced what you're going through, so please don't ever feel hesitant to ask questions, or come here for support. Star is so young! Osteo is a monster whenever it rears it's ugly head, but it is doubly heartbreaking when it affects such a young dog.

Given her age, I would probably lean towards the amputation too (Winnie, the lovely lady in my avatar, was 8 when her right hind leg was amputated), but as others have said, there are many factors to consider---her temperment, if the cancer has spread, etc. We were lucky enough to have Winnie for 3 1/2 years after her amp. While she was a true inspiration, I hesitate to give others hope that they would have that long, as it is the exception, rather than the rule. But would I do it again, even knowing that we would have less time? Yes, I would. Would I feel the same way about any of the 3 Greys I have now? Not necessarily. They are all very different, and I would have to proceed according to what my heart told me. You just do what you can, and hope for the best.

This is such a difficult time while you are struggling with a decision. I would say that when you make a decision, your purpose becomes clearer, and you can move forward. There will continue to be ups and downs, of course, but you will continue to have support. Please know that you're not alone.

You and Star are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest dfriedri

I did give her the combination. She had it at 1:00pm.

Not to continually compain but we are putting my cat down tonight. Or rather my aunt and mom are. I couldn't go along.... too close to the situation with Star. He has been acting sick for a couple weeks and we think leukemia. So to put him out of his misery they are taking him to the vet tonight.

Sad day!

I just got off the phone with Dani- Star is resting comfortably. Walking around- eating and had been panting heavily earlier this afternoon about 3 hours after the tramdol which could be causing the panting.

Hopefully within a few days, she will be on the road to OSU if everyone agrees that is what is in Star's best interest.

Continued prayers for this pretty girl and her mom.

Guest dfriedri

Update:

OSU had confirmed that the cancer is osteo.

We have an appt tomorrow to see if the cancer has spread and if everything looks okay we are going to go ahead and schedule the amputation. I really do believe that Star will do well given her age and the fact that she already rarely uses the leg. Today she tore after a squirrel that was down the block on 3 legs!

Sending very best wishes :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!