Advantix

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

I've been having a flea problem with my pups....I had gotten a foster girlie back in July that had a very bad flea problem. I've applied Frontline to my greys and my cats and it's not working!!! I'm still seeing some fleas that I've gotten off with a flea comb. I goggled Frontline and problems and apparently I'm not the only one. I don't know why, but fleas are becoming resistant to it. Because of all the rain that we had here in the summer on the east coast it's been a breeding ground for them. A friend's vet had recommended Advantix, but then I hear from someone else that it's not safe to use on greyhounds.

Does anyone know before I purchase some?

Thanks in advance. :)

Guest Energy11

I have been told by a few Greyhound groups, GPA Greater Orlando, being one, NOT to use this product on greyhounds. I also know of a few greys who have had bad reactions to it.

Most of the vets will tell you it is safe. Some people with GHs I know have no problems with it. Me ... I'd stay, and stay on the side of caution.

I live in the WOODS, and I have NEVER had fleas and maybe two or three ticks, just using Adams Flea and Tick Mist. You can even get it in Wal-mart, and it is safe.

I also know, if you have cats, you cannot use Advantix.

Good Luck, ... Hopefully the little buggies will leave soon!

John E had a very severe reaction to the Advantix. He started rubbing up against walls and pacing for about 24 hours after the application.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I wouldn't use any product containing permethrin on greyhounds. One of our adopter's greyhounds died from seizures subsequent to using Advantix. Any evidence is anecdotal, however, and clinically it's supposed to be as safe as anything else out there. I won't take the chance, personally.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We have 3 greys and have dealt with flea problems in the past. Tried Frontline....several days later we still had fleas. Tried Advantage and all fleas were dead within 12 hours (just like it says on the package)!

No experience with Advantix.

Guest jettcricket
We have 3 greys and have dealt with flea problems in the past. Tried Frontline....several days later we still had fleas. Tried Advantage and all fleas were dead within 12 hours (just like it says on the package)!

No experience with Advantix.

Yeah....I think I'm going to go with the Advantage. I'm not crazy about applying any topical flea products on my boys, but I don't know what else to do. And I've heard good things about Advantage....hopefully I can totally get rid of my flea problem.

With all my kitties and fosters, this is the first time that I've had this problem.

Guest littlesyd85
Advantix is very bad for cats if they come in contact with it, so on that basis alone, I would choose another product.

That is the reason I use Advantage on all my pets (3 dog and 2 cats). I don't want to chance the cats accidentally coming into contact with the Advantix.

WE HAVE 5 DOGS and 4 cats and this year we have had NO FLEAS and NO TICKS and we do not put anything on them , my wife blends 1 lb of liver in a grinder ads flour and GARLIC POWDER and GARLIC salt and bakes in oven. , she gets ticks doing the garden and yard work.

Now I know that you are not going to believe this but ask your self , this guy has been on this board for 8 years , why would he lie ??

Edited by SAVED2

Guest jettcricket
WE HAVE 5 DOGS and 4 cats and this year we have had NO FLEAS and NO TICKS and we do not put anything on them , my wife blends 1 lb of liver in a grinder ads flour and GARLIC POWDER and GARLIC salt and bakes in oven. , she gets ticks doing the garden and yard work.

Now I know that you are not going to believe this but ask your self , this guy has been on this board for 8 years , why would he lie ??

....No I believe you. :) I've heard of the benefits of using garlic powder.

Spring Time sells a product with garlic to help keep fleas off of your pets.

Advantix is very bad for cats if they come in contact with it, so on that basis alone, I would choose another product.

That is the reason I use Advantage on all my pets (3 dog and 2 cats). I don't want to chance the cats accidentally coming into contact with the Advantix.

I've heard of the dangers of using Advantix around cats....more reason to stay away from it.

Edited by jettcricket

Guest mcsheltie

Frontline isn't working here this year either. I bought Advantix, from the vet cause I wanted to make sure it was a licensed product. I put it on Kasper and he had a similar reaction as Houndtime did. I washed it off and returned the rest. One good thing about buying through a vet rather than the internet.

I got Advantage and that has worked.

Shanti had a bad reaction to it. She freaked out about 3-4 hours after application. Screamed, ran in circles, kept biting at her self. I bathed her at about 11pm and she settled down a bit. I won't use it again on her. My German Shepard does fine with it.

The Girls

Guest Energy11
Shanti had a bad reaction to it. She freaked out about 3-4 hours after application. Screamed, ran in circles, kept biting at her self. I bathed her at about 11pm and she settled down a bit. I won't use it again on her. My German Shepard does fine with it.

Advantix???????? NOT for greys! Advantage, Frontline Plus, or Adams Flea and Tick Mist, are all okay.

Only frontline here.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

Very interesting thread... as I have never had a flea problem until last week!

I use Frontline (religiously) on my 3 dogs and 2 cats, and for the first time, EVER... I am dealing with this problem.

My Greys "seem" fine, but my little Eski-poo was itching, and we found flea dirt. YUK!

She is the one that sleeps in bed with us too!

I re-Frontlined everyone (about a 1/2 week earlier than I should have), washed everything I could, and was waiting to see....

I will be anxiously watching this thread!

Guest greybookends

I used Frontline Plus for years but for some reason it no longer works in this area. ALL of the vets began to switch to other products. I've been using Advantix for about 3 years now with no problems.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Frosty had a bad reaction to Advantix. She was vomiting and lethargic, then I put her in the tub and washed it off with Dawn dish detergent and she was back to normal immediately. I only use Frontline now, and I don't use it every month....maybe every few because I am afraid to do it any more often.

Got ticks again. Bad case in June,my group said Frontline plus was the way to go because of a catin the house. Allwent well dead ticks we found on the dog beds. Now October find ticks on all 3 dogs, Frontline plus applied 2 weeks ago and now find ticks on feet and necks 2 weeks later.