Advantix

Guest jettcricket

I wonder if it is safe to use both Advantage and Frontline Plus together (i.e., apply Advantage, then Frontline 2 weeks later so that you're alternating them every 2 weeks). It's been my experience that Advantage is awesome for killing fleas, but does nothing for ticks. Frontline seems to be better for ticks than fleas. It sounds like the obvious solution--a combo product like Advantix--isn't safe for greyhounds, so that leaves using both products for complete control.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Energy11

I would NOT use Advantage and Fronline together.

Adams Flea and Tick Mist kept my hounds flea and tick free all summer. I love the stuff! I do not use Advantage or Frontline.

Guest mcsheltie
I wonder if it is safe to use both Advantage and Frontline Plus together (i.e., apply Advantage, then Frontline 2 weeks later so that you're alternating them every 2 weeks). It's been my experience that Advantage is awesome for killing fleas, but does nothing for ticks. Frontline seems to be better for ticks than fleas. It sounds like the obvious solution--a combo product like Advantix--isn't safe for greyhounds, so that leaves using both products for complete control.

NO!!!!! It is not safe. Frontline stopped working here this year too.

Guest jettcricket

Well....I applied Advantage on my boys and it seems to have worked. I did express my concerns in using Advantix to my Vet. He called the manufacture and said that it was safe to use on greyhounds and that they had not heard anything bad about it....I still didn't want to take the chance.

Last winter was miserable around our house while using Frontline, so 3-1/2 months ago, I switched to Advantage. First two months were heavenly but this month, in week 2.5, two are biting at their tails again and my flea magnet is acting like something is sticking her in the behind while on our walks, which is a dead giveaway that the little buggers are back. UGH! What now? Anyone use Comfortis? I live on the east coast of FL, so it's a year round battle.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Bean_Scotch

I use frontline Plus, advantage and a tick collar...One month is frontline...the next advantage/Preventic Tick collar...seems to be working. A vet recommended First Shield to me, but it contains permetherin so I told him NO absolutly NOT!

We have been battling the awful fleas this year too - since May. I used Frontline Plus for Cats on my two kitties and it didn't work so the fleas became entrenched big time. My vet said they were getting reports that the FL for cats was not very effective. I stayed with FL for the greys because it is the safest and I have a lot of seniors. My cats went on Revolution and it worked immediately. But I still have some fleas - but I believe the problem has improved about 75%. I used FL spray too - just a bit on the areas near their tails every week or so. I don't think the natural stuff works very well at all. I tried several products. I am seriously considering buying Advantage next time. The fleas have been a big nuisance this year and I have to capstar the fosters when they leave the house to make sure no one else gets these awful little creatures....Suz

Guest Energy11
I use frontline Plus, advantage and a tick collar...One month is frontline...the next advantage/Preventic Tick collar...seems to be working. A vet recommended First Shield to me, but it contains permetherin so I told him NO absolutly NOT!

My former vet/employer, greyhound savvy vet, said NO First Shield.

Last winter was miserable around our house while using Frontline, so 3-1/2 months ago, I switched to Advantage. First two months were heavenly but this month, in week 2.5, two are biting at their tails again and my flea magnet is acting like something is sticking her in the behind while on our walks, which is a dead giveaway that the little buggers are back. UGH! What now? Anyone use Comfortis? I live on the east coast of FL, so it's a year round battle.

Many of the greyhound groups, are advising against using Comfortis.

I know Florida is HEck for fleas! I still, and will stand by, the Adams Flea and Tick Mist. North Georgia still get hot in the summer, and we are in the woods, but NO fleas and VERY few ticks.

Edited by Energy11

Well....I applied Advantage on my boys and it seems to have worked. I did express my concerns in using Advantix to my Vet. He called the manufacture and said that it was safe to use on greyhounds and that they had not heard anything bad about it....I still didn't want to take the chance.

A clue to you should be that it is not safe for cats. If it is not safe for cats, I would be very careful with greyhounds. And, what would you expect the manufacturer to say? :dunno

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

A clue to you should be that it is not safe for cats. If it is not safe for cats, I would be very careful with greyhounds. And, what would you expect the manufacturer to say? :dunno

When I worked at the vets in Central Florida, the Advantix Rep came in for a seminar. I told her I had heard that Advantix was not safe for greyhounds, and she proceeded, to say, "Well, the product is tested on Greyhounds!" All I had to hear, to walk out of that seminar, in lieu of saying something to get myself fired!

If it isn't safe to even use with cats in the family, then, I surely would not use it on a sighthound. Not a good product for sighthounds at all!

Edited by Energy11

• 5 weeks later...
Guest EmbersDad

new vet here in new hampshire doesnt use frontline so my 2 got their first application with advantix and had no reaction to it. on an unrelated note, they do use interceptor for heartworm and i am sticking with that.

Guest cactusdude

I live in South Florida, ground zero for year-round flea problems. Local populations seemed to have developed resistance to Frontline. Advantage works great.

I would never use a product with a synthetic pyrethroid (or pyrethrin, for that matter), especially on a greyhound.