Always Hungry

We have an unusal grey that is much different than the other 4 that we had. This is the first one we had, that always wants to eat and it is diffcult to put weight on her. The vet doesn't know what's going on as all her test come back as normal. Went to out group's reunion today and the only place she wanted to go was where they prepared the food. She would then follow the people to their table and beg for food. Then when we wanted to leave, she didn't, we almost had to drag her. She just stood there like a statue. The statuing is another issue. At times when walking she'll just stop middle of the road or whereever and just stand there like she just checked out of life. Her eye's aren't glazed over and she seems alert. We'll have to coax her or give a little tug on her lead and she'll snap out of it. Could this be a medical issue?

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

Guest Energy11

Yes, it most definitely could be a medical issue. Anything from Cushings Disease to Diabetes, to parasites, and more. I'd do a fecal, urine and full blood panel. Good Luck and hope it all turns out okay! My Curfew is like that, but NOT thin, by any means! He is on Phenobarbitol, and this makes him hungry all the time, and heavy.

I would test for Cushings for sure. Not just because of the hunger, but Misty would also stop in the middle of a walk and just stand there, and at other times she would just lay down and not want to move. That's a symptom of Cushings as well. And as much as Misty would eat, she wouldn't gain at all

What about her drinking? Does she drink a lot as well?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We had her blood test done and that was normal. Also had urine checked that was normal too. How did your vet know to check for Cushings Disease? Once it was diagnosed how was it treated? Once it was treated did the symptoms go away? How is a test for Cushing's Disease done? Could Julie's problen be diet related? We have only had Julie for 1 year. When we first got her we had to treat her for hook worms and they were gone. Then Purina switched Proplan to shreaded blend and she started to have diarehea. Same thing happend to our other grey and we switched both to Nutro, but that did not solve Julie's problem. Then our vet put her on Purina EN diet and B12 supplement, after treateing her with antibiotics. That helped to firm up her stools and we do not have a problem there.

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

We checked for Cushings because Misty was hungry all the time and drinking a lot of water. Her energy level was also off. That was enough for my vet to suspect Cushings.

They test Cushings by doing what is called an ACTH Supression test. They have to be at the vet for 8 hours and blood is drawn every 4 hours and they are given an injection of Dex. as well, checking their Cortisol level

Cushings is treated with one of two drugs, Trilostane or Lysodren. There's a third but it has not proven very successful.

Yes, Cushings can be controlled with meds and the symptoms do go away. It's very tricky to stabilize but once that happens you're on your way.

You want your vet to not only be knowledgable with Cushings, but Cushings in Greyhounds, that is so very important.

Please, keep us posted

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My 6yo boy (today) is a big eater. He devours 2 1/2 cups am and 2 1/2 cups pm ,never satistied. He is a tall,thin guy who raced at 78#. He stays at 70# with too many treats. All blood work is normal .All are born to run,but some are born to eat! He loves beer and wine,anything! He drank his X-foster mom's Starbucks at the last M&G I was expecting the have D all over the house. He has been in 4 foster homes due to phobias and fears. Iam adopting him this week and he knows it.I swear he looks at me differently now,after 9months fostering him, I can,t imagine this house without him!.......Another foster failure.

that always wants to eat and it is diffcult to put weight on her.

Could be she isn't sick at all, she's just hungry.

How much does she weigh now, how much should she weigh, and how many calories per day is she getting?

Also, Joseph, who has no health problems, has been known to turn into a statue when he just doesn't wanna. He's been home for 3 years and has gone thru some pretty successful obedience training, but there are occasions when he simply wants to do something else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Julie weighed 63 when we got her, went up to 67, and now weighs 62. We feed her 3 1/2 cups a day of EN. Not sure how many calories. During the week she goes for 2-3 walks a day on weekend 3-4 walks a day. Also she goes outside and occasionally likes to run. She now has been on ear drops for her yeast infection for 9 days and we noticed she does not drink as much water and has not urinated in the house. Could that be coincidence or related?

St. Charles Mo.

Have you tried increasing her food? 3 1/2 cups for the whole day might not be enough, especially if it's spread over two feedings.

Worms would be the first suspect, and many greys seem to need several rounds of treatment to truely get rid of them.

The ear infection could lead to her urinating in the house, which has stopped now that she's being treated. I don't know how her ear infection could be related to her eating, but I'm sure it could be possible.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LindsaySF

I wouldn't worry about her acting hungry all the time. Some dogs are just like that. :) I would only be concerned if she looks underweight. Do you have a current picture?

Have you tried increasing her food to see if that helps? Deworming also can't hurt.

What they all said. If she's underweight, I'd feed her more and see how she gets along. Dogs' metabolisms differ, as do food calorie counts per cup.

That said, I'll never forget my parents' greyhound houseguest, who conned two 4-cup high-cal breakfasts out of my mom and was still looking for more. She was not emaciated altho she could've stood to gain 2-3 lbs., and btw had no ill effects from the large meals.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Maybe try adding digestive enzymes like Prozyme to her diet? I've heard great things about Prozyme in particular.

I just ordered some for Aston, as he eats a LOT but still seems to be losing weight -- without being too graphic (as if it matters here :lol ), most of the food he eats seems to go right through him in terms of poop volume and consistency, and no signs of worms or odd energy levels here.

I'll let you know if the Prozyme helps with Aston at all..

Guest longdoglady

I had a lurcher who was very skinny, hungry all the time and had horrendous flatulence; it turned out she was not digesting fats properly. Our vet recommended we try Prozyme and the difference was amazing so I second o rooly.