Greys And Temperature Sensitivity...

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

This may be a dumb question, but are some greys naturally sensitive to one temp extreme more than the other? It seems like if it's 70 or 75 and we're outside that Italy gets hot and is panting. I keep my place at about 65 during the summer and she seems to still lay on the hardwood like she like the cold. It's about 50 right now and I have the deck screen door open and the fireplace on (weird, I know) and she's laying in her bed next to the deck door. We just bought her some jackets and coats on Wednesday night, but it seems like she prefers the cool weather over the hot.

Now granted when it gets sub 45 degrees, she'll be in a coat when we go outside regardless.

Any thoughts?

I have always been told that they're sensitive to extreme temps, be it hot or cold.

I can't address the cold, but I do know all of mine are affected by the heat.

For us, we're finally getting down to the 90's and that's a break for my dogs and they have a lot more energy and are playing more outside during the day

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have always been told that they're sensitive to extreme temps, be it hot or cold.

I can't address the cold, but I do know all of mine are affected by the heat.

For us, we're finally getting down to the 90's and that's a break for my dogs and they have a lot more energy and are playing more outside during the day

Yeesh. Wow. That's hot. And I know it's all relative. Not trying to hi-jack thread.

In response to OP- my dogs are a lot more animated in the cooler temps. We are all happier with a nice dry fall day!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Mine all have temp. likes and dislikes. Domino is the skinny skinny one. He will lay in the sun at 95. Angel the hot, hot, oldest one I have, is the one that has HER bed under the window air! Kala is the only one that will sleep in my bed, under the covers with me....And the differences continue... :lol

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Sunshine gets cold very easy while Rainy gets hot in an instant. I always figured Rainy had some type of heat stroke related issue while racing which makes her more prone to it now. That's total speculation though :) sunshine wants a coat in 70 degrees while Rainy just stops panting at that temp.

------

Jessica

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty loves the cooler Weather , around 60 - 65 . He is more Energetic , runs more all in all has more spunk . The Heat

drags him down .

Guest Energy11

Mine were all Florida dogs, until we moved to the North Ga. Mountains.

I thought they'd all need coats during their first fall/winter here last year ... it gets pretty cold here), but NOPE! They love the cold! Guess they take after their Mom :-) I am rarely cold.

Heat? They hate is, and so do I! They dont' even want to go for walks if it is 80+.

my dogs LOVE the chilly weather. i usually do not put anything on them when they are active unless it is damp and below 35-40. but as the other post have said, it all a matter of your dog. my dogs go for walkies w/o coats on and if the wind is not blowing, there isn't any snow on the ground and the sun is shining. at night it's usually coat or light jacket in the low 40s. if i need a jacket, i try to wear a heavy sweater as long as i can, then they need one. but many times i have had to remove their coats once they warm up.at night we keep our place around 55-9 and they are sedentary so they wear a light polar fleece or sweater.

when they are cold you will see it and their bodies will feel chilly to the touch. but as soon as they start panting....take the coat off, they are wearing too much. you unzip when you are warm....right?

Enza loves the cold and only gets her coat when it's below 35 and a long walk. She hates the heat but I keep my place at 78 because I think that she has to get use to it and she does. I think it would be harder on her system to go outside into 95 degree heat from 65 and it would just suck her dry.

Wendy does not do heat! The girl loves her A/C and the ceiling fans are her best friends. On Saturdays, when I clean house, I put her in the yard for about 4 hours. Mind you, there are ceiling fans on the covered porch, shade trees and her very on doggie pool, but those four hours wipe her out for the rest of the day. Poor, abused puppy!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".