Concerned About My Boy

My baby boy, Buddy, turned 12 back in February. We've had him since he was 9 weeks old - he was part of an unwanted litter. Lately things have been changing with him, and I'm scared.

About a month ago, he didn't want to eat. Not interested. We give him Natural Balance with some water - a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He'd sniff it and walk away. So we added some NB canned, but that was hit or miss. If I put the kibble in his Buster Cube, he'd eat it that way no problem. Out of desperation, we've starting cooking for him - though it's heartbreaking every time I make a batch because at our house it means their time is running out when we're cooking bland diet. So now he's getting rice, ground beef, and yogurt. He LOVES it - cleans his bowl every time. Of course, his poops have changed - they're formed but very dark (almost black) on the outside, and very soft and rust colored inside. No accidents in the house or anything like that. He does want to go outside more often too - and takes a long time sniffing and just standing there.

His weight has been stable throughout his life - he's always been 63-65 pounds. I weighed him in January, he was 58#. Weighed him again in August, when the not eating this was going on, and he was down to 52#. Three weeks ago he was back up to 55#, but he's looking thinner again. I've noticed at our house it seems they lose about 10 pounds after they have their 12th birthday. Buddy, however, didn't really have 10 pounds to spare. In fact, when we had him in back in January, the vet said he doesnt' get to say it often, but our dog could use some groceries.

I have noticed him panting lately - not after any exercise or overheating by tucking himself under his bed (he likes to be buried!). I have also noticed, during the past week or so, him shaking/shivering more often. And he does more "peeping" now too - it's his little whine when he wants something - but most times I can't decipher what he wants (we go though what he usually wants when he peeps) ... eventually he just goes and lays down. His eyes look more sunken too.

Last week he started favoring his front "drivers side" leg intermittently. DH palpitated everything and cannot find where it's bothering him. It doesn't seem quite as bad this week, but I always get nervous when a GH starts to limp.

I'm thinking a trip to the vet is in order, though our favorite vet that has helped us with age-related issues with our four bridge pups is no longer there. The replacement is okay, but not a big help when it comes to stuff like that. His last blood panel was in January and was fine, but perhaps it's time to run another? What else can we do?

Suggestions welcome. My heart is breaking. I told him he had to live as long as his momma (she was over 15), and I don't want him to renege!

ETA photo Buddy93009.jpg

Edited by MommyOf3

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

He has to eat a lot of home cooked. For instance, Jodi ate at least 4-5 cups per feeding. Are you feeding him that much or more?

Have you tried EVO canned and EVO reduced fat kibble? Can you sneak some into the home cooked?

For a senior, blood work every 6 months :)

I think he's not eating enough. Try the EVO and hand feed and see if you can get more calories into him.

Poop sounds about normal.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Energy11

Yes, do get that leg x-rayed, to be sure all is well there, and, with a senior, blood work twice a year is actually recommended, so it would be a good idea to have that done again to rule out any problems like his kidneys.

He is a very handsome young-looking boy! Lots of love and hugs to him!

Guest my3greys

ah. I am so sorry for your guy. I have one ten yrs also, and can see him slowing down, but he has lupus and now arthritis is settling in his back end. It is heart wrenching to watch. I hope you find answers soon. :grouphug

Blood work and xrays for sure. Do you have a grey vet around that isn't the same one you've been going to? Also feed him more and maybe smaller meals more fequently? The dark stool doesn't sound so good either.

Plus, talk to your vet about some pain relief. Sounds like he could be havng some age-related arthritis issues that are causing him some pain - favoring a leg, trembling and panting are all pain symptoms. This could be helped with Rimadyl or another nsaid. Definitely do xrays from the shoulder down, and complete blood work.

If he doesn't have any food issues - allergies or IBD for instance - you might try putting him on a puppy food. They have more calories and are generaly pretty palatable. Also, if he's losing weight that quickly, I'd feed him whatever he'll eat, even if it's people food.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mcsheltie

Trip to the vet is in order. Maybe he could use some sub-q fluids. Sometimes when their insides are slowing down they aren't able to stay as hydrated as when they are young. Kidney values don't change much until 70% of kidney function has been compromised. I have had dogs with symptoms like this and fairly normal blood work react very positively to fluids. It helps the renal system function. They start to feel better and in turn start to eat again.

My dog's poo has always been that color on beef.

I might recommend trying to up his weight by feeding him some toast (or regular bread) with butter. The butter adds some fat and that along with the carbos from the bread might put a few pounds on him.

My dog eats home-cooked meals and his poops can look dark on the outside - if you are concerned, the vet can check for blood.

You might want to consider adding vitamins and calcium if you are home-feeding. Also, consider adding some cooked veggies.

Guest eaglflyt

Bless your heart and his. Does he have an elevated temp?

I agree with all the above to repeat the blood work, get x-rays, and I'd also suggest a fecal check and a urine ananlysis.

I'll keep your boy in my prayers, and you, too.

I would certainly get him to the vet as soon as you can. Tomorrow?

What Burpdog says re food is true. Homecooked (wet) food needs to be large quantity. As an example, my 55 lb senior eats @ 1.2 lbs. beef per day plus a couple handfuls of cookies to maintain weight. Beef is pretty concentrated in calories.

Senior may need more food to keep weight on rather than less. With wet food, also, because you have to feed more, dog may feel full and stop eating sooner. Soooooooooo, I would feed 3-5 meals a day instead of just the traditional two.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jurishound

Not eating well/panting sounds like he is uncomfortable or in pain. IMO a trip to the vet is in order. Good luck - he looks precious.

Guest greytexplorer
Not eating well/panting sounds like he is uncomfortable or in pain. IMO a trip to the vet is in order. Good luck - he looks precious.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Mandy is 12 and takes 1/2 tab of Previcox 227 mg every day for arthritis.

She hops around like a kangaroo when she sees me going for the leashes.

Your boy is handsome! He and Mandy would make a fine looking couple, dontcha think? :colgate

Hi All,

I'm going to print this out and bring it to the vet for ideas. We're scheduled for tomorrow (Friday) at 4p. I've let them know there'd be xrays and bloodwork.

Looks like we should be feeding him more. We had been giving him 2 cups of the mixture 3x a day, but last night I gave him 4 cups and he gobbled all of it up. So we're going to load his bowl and give extra treats and such. He *loves* bread, so we'll give him some of that too. I may sneak in an extra meal too, around mid-afternoon.

DH and I finally discussed this issue last night. We're not ones to let something go unsaid, but for some reason neither of us wanted to bring up the subject. He's been preparing himself for the worst possible outcome, and quite honestly, I've been ignoring it hoping that it was just a muscle stinger and it would go away. Now that we've faced facts, part of me feels better but most of me is in shambles. I cried myself to sleep last night, thinking about life without my Budward.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! If you have more ideas, keep 'em coming. I'll be sure to update after our appointment tomorrow.

Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

I would take him to the vet too, for a checkup and X-rays. Good luck with him!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Try soaking some EVO reduced fat kibble and mixing a little in with his food (1/2C at a time). It will get the added calories in.

Just got back from picking some up. I have a 1/2 cup soaking right now, and will work it into his lunch and each meal afterward. :)

The vet was very nice and helpful. He is used to greyhounds since he worked in an area near a track and saw quite a few of them in his practice.

Buddy has a UTI and, he thinks, a ligament or soft tissue injury in his wrist. Xrays were clear of any tumors or suspicious items - didn't even notice arthritis at all. Bloodwork was normal for him, tho' his BUN was a little high but the vet said that could be because of the UTI. He recommended glucosamine and I told him we had already started a joint supplement (tho' we'll be changing the brand as soon as it arrives in the mail).

He was back up to 58#, so we'll continue with the diet and keep feeding him as much as he'll eat. I don't think he's in any danger of becoming overweight any time soon!

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers! :)