Is This Commom Practice?

Guest mhall

Is it common for vets to not charge for euthanasia? We weren't charged, and since this is our first experience, I wasn't sure if that was common practice. Either way, I thought it was really nice of our vet. I have no idea how she turns a profit - there were so many things they didn't charge us for over the past few months.

We're going to bring in cookies and a thank you note for our vet and the staff there when we go pick up Tarmac's ashes. They have been so great to us through this whole ordeal :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greytluv

When we sent our Springer to the Bridge they charged us. (not my reg. vet) I really don't think they should if they've been your vet. How much can it cost them? Something they should do for us. JMHO

What a great vet you have. I believe it's common practice to charge for euthanasia. The cookies are a very nice "thank you" gesture. Again, I'm so sorry about Tarmac.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Depends on the vet. When I had to send Kenny Roo Who the vet didn't charge, even though he had only been there once before. It was their policy to never charge for euthanasia. They said it was the least they could do when clients were hurting. It was a very nice gesture.

Rex was charged full price for and Axel and Little Girl were both about $40 -- cost of an office call but nothing more.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Bailey's vet charged us, but then he came to the house on very short notice and that was worth every penny.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest littlesyd85

I always thought that most do... But I could be wrong. I haven't crossed that road yet so I'm not sure. I do know that the vet my mom works for does charge, but they have been known to wave the cost in extenuating circumstances.

:chocolate It would be very nice to bring them some cookies. I recently had a good experience with my new vet so I sent them a thank you card.

And I am so sorry to hear about your loss...

Guest jettcricket
What a great vet you have. I believe it's common practice to charge for euthanasia. The cookies are a very nice "thank you" gesture. Again, I'm so sorry about Tarmac.

What a great vet you have is right. My vet charged full price for everything!

Again...condolences to you and your family in the loss of your most precious boy.

Guest Energy11

My vet/employer charged for it. Then, you could decide whether you wanted to take the body, or have a private or communal cremation.

One thing he did NOT do, was make people pay on their way out. They were billed.

My vet/employer charged for it. Then, you could decide whether you wanted to take the body, or have a private or communal cremation.

One thing he did NOT do, was make people pay on their way out. They were billed.

I wanted to add that this was true for me and I was thankful that I didn't have to think about that part of things.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greyscot

My vet charges. When I put my non grey Shirley to sleep I had spent £4000 ($6300) in the space of 18 months on her at the vets but they still charged. I have to say at the time I didn't think about it as I was too upset to notice but now I think they could have waived the 'final' bill.

I don't know. All I do know is how Dr. Friedman who is semi retired, owner of the practice called me back on a SUNDAY and agreed to "take care" of Polli for us on a Sunday. He came to the house. He allowed us a lot of time with Polli- before, during the 1st shot to relax her and her final shot. He left the house and sat in his car for 20 minute intervals. Then, HE took Polli away for us, covered her gently in his trunk, and as he closed the lid- he said "I'm sorry Mommy". Man did I cry. He was amazing and not even my regualr vet- but the owner and knew what was going on. My vet had left for vacation that morning.

I have no idea if we were charged.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My vet always charges. We have to pay for the creamations separately by check and will have it written (cost based on weight) before we even go back to exam room for our last minutes.

It is a part of their business but they handle it tactfully. They always send us a card and flowers within days.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest KennelMom

Our vet does not charge for euthanasia, but if you want the ashes back, you do have to pay for the cremation service, which is about $130 (I think) for a greyhound-sized dog. That's just for the cremation company, our vet does not make any profit from a euthanasia.

We had to put Harmony down as the specialty hospital and I don't recall if they actually charged for the service, but we did have to pay for the cremation and ashes...it was more than what our vet charges, but they also returned her ashes with a cast of her pawprint :weep

Our original vet in Raleigh would bill us. We pay when we first go in at our vet now. Even though we've gone there for years and they know we'll be back and not skip out on the bill...it's just their business practice and I don't blame them for that. Having people pay upfront protects the other clients (because bills that aren't paid have to be made up for elsewhere...which means other clients pay more)

eta: for anyone facing this for the first time, I would definitely talk to the vet/office manager before you actually go in to "do the deed" to find out their protocol...it will prevent any additional stress or upset by being surprised on a day that's already hellish and emotional.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest tricolorhounds

My Vet does not charge for the euthanasia. They do take the fee for the cremation and pass it on to the pet memorial park that handles the private cremation.

Interesting to hear the range of different policies. We did pay for private cremation. I'm pretty sure what we paid was about average for our area but it's totally possible they up the prices of cremation and similar services to cover the difference. I wouldn't have had a problem with them charging us for the appointment/injection, but it was nice not to have to pay for it.

eta: for anyone facing this for the first time, I would definitely talk to the vet/office manager before you actually go in to "do the deed" to find out their protocol...it will prevent any additional stress or upset by being surprised on a day that's already hellish and emotional.

Definitely. I went in the night before (while Will was home with Tarmac) to sign everything and pay for the cremation. I knew I wouldn't want to deal with it the day of.

This is what happened to us when we had to put our cat down. Our vet always requires payment when services are rendered. So, when we weren't asked to pay on the way out, I thought the euthanasia was free. Then we got the bill in the mail a couple of weeks later.

In summary, your vet may do the same... don't assume it's free quite yet.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We have been very blessed. Our vet provides euthanasia and body disposal free of charge. A day or two afterwards, he sends flowers.

No, I am not kidding.

He is a pricey vet for routine stuff, but, when you dog gets really sick, he drops his price. He did daily PCVs, bone marrow aspiration, blood transfusions, and two tons of other stuff for Gabriel. It cost about $800. I will never again complain about his regular prices.