Phenylprop Proin

Apparently Miss Asti is suffering from what we believe to be spay incontinence. We did a urinalysis, and a ultrasound of her bladder (I could not get a sample from her). Nothing. Her urine was diluted. She pees usually in her sleep after a tiring day (swimming, walking, a lot of playing) which makes us suspect incontinence. We are trying this medicine to see if it makes a difference. If this does not work then we will do a ultrasound of the kidneys as there may be kidney disease. :huh She is really young for that but something congenital could be happening.

Anyone use it? I did not get a sheet with it from the vets so I know nothing on it. How soon does it start to work? How long do we stay on this?

The Girls

Guest Energy11

I personally don't use it, but it is widely prescribed for urinary incontinence, and it is a good product, what works.

Sorry she has to have this, but you should see improvement with the Proin. Good Luck!

Her urine was diluted.

If her urine was very dilute, it would be best to explore that before starting on a med like PPA. Dilute urine is not a feature of spay incontinence.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Her urine was diluted.

If her urine was very dilute, it would be best to explore that before starting on a med like PPA. Dilute urine is not a feature of spay incontinence.

I agree! A complete blood workup is in order to check kidney function, BUN and Creatinine for starters. I wouldn't give any meds until I had ruled out ALL other possibilities. Learned this the hard way and almost lost Suze in the process.

Hoping for the best possible outcome.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Her urine was diluted. She pees usually in her sleep after a tiring day (swimming, walking, a lot of playing) which makes us suspect incontinence.

Is it possible that she drinks lots more water on those days & then can't hold it at night? She's still a youngster, right?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

We suspect the urine was diluted from sucking down pool water. It was diluted to the point of major concern. But it is a flag for us. The vet said kidney disease is rare in a dog so young. She is just a year and a half. If we did not see results on this round of medicine, we schedule the boat load of tests.

I have noticed the peeing after excercise. I relate it to my young kids. If they had a really busy day and SO tired, you can bet you were changing the sheets in the morning. They just sleep through it. I suspect she does the same.

The Girls

Guest greygirls2

My Diamond started having urine incontinence about a month into her recovery from the dog attack. The vets told me it was spay incont. too and gave her the PPA. After 2 doses she had a severe and traumatic reaction to it vomiting until she was passing blood. They took her right off of it and we discussed using hormones which they weren't happy about trying but they agreed she obviously can't tolerate the Proin at all. Even the vets said they'd never had a dog react to the PPA in such a way. While we were waiting for Diamond's system to get back to normal and decide what approach to take a friend suggested a very natural approach to the incont. She told me to try giving Diamond 1/4 - 1/2 c 1% milk twice a day.....she'd had great results using it on older dogs....Diamond is only 5. I thought it was a pretty wierd thing to try but I figured I had nothing to loose and the incont. had become so constant she was having to wear panties all the time. Believe it or not Diamond has had no leakage AT ALL since I started her on the milk! I am amazed to say the least and Diamond is happy that she's dry once again. It's been since June now and Diamond loves her "milky" drink and considers it a great treat. I know it sounds crazy, I thought so too but it's worked for us and I've recommended it to twoother people who's dogs were having trouble and they've both had great success. Worth a try, not a drug and no side effects. I'm thinking it's the muscle toning properties of the calcium and amino acids in the milk that does it....my vet thinks it's the trace amounts ofestrogen in it from the cows...either way even he agrees if it's working don't question it.

Grace has been on it for a little less than a year for her incontinence and is doing great on it. She has had two accidents in the last year, when before the meds she was having accidents almost daily and even sometimes twice a day. Proin has been a headache saver in this household!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My Diamond started having urine incontinence about a month into her recovery from the dog attack. The vets told me it was spay incont. too and gave her the PPA. After 2 doses she had a severe and traumatic reaction to it vomiting until she was passing blood. They took her right off of it and we discussed using hormones which they weren't happy about trying but they agreed she obviously can't tolerate the Proin at all. Even the vets said they'd never had a dog react to the PPA in such a way. While we were waiting for Diamond's system to get back to normal and decide what approach to take a friend suggested a very natural approach to the incont. She told me to try giving Diamond 1/4 - 1/2 c 1% milk twice a day.....she'd had great results using it on older dogs....Diamond is only 5. I thought it was a pretty wierd thing to try but I figured I had nothing to loose and the incont. had become so constant she was having to wear panties all the time. Believe it or not Diamond has had no leakage AT ALL since I started her on the milk! I am amazed to say the least and Diamond is happy that she's dry once again. It's been since June now and Diamond loves her "milky" drink and considers it a great treat. I know it sounds crazy, I thought so too but it's worked for us and I've recommended it to twoother people who's dogs were having trouble and they've both had great success. Worth a try, not a drug and no side effects. I'm thinking it's the muscle toning properties of the calcium and amino acids in the milk that does it....my vet thinks it's the trace amounts ofestrogen in it from the cows...either way even he agrees if it's working don't question it.

That is really interesting. She said if it is spay incontinence then it was probably due to the drop in hormones from the spay which tends to make the bladder muscles lax. That would make sense on the muscle toning properties of calcium and amino acids. I don't have 1% milk I only have N/F in this house. I will have to give it a try. Watch...she will be lactose intolerant. :P

There was another drug too but it had more side effects so we stayed away from that.

The Girls

Before starting Proin, understand the drug is phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which was pulled from human use due to risk of hemorrhagic stroke. This is not to say it shouldn't be used, but that it is not without risk; it can be a real blessing in terms of minimizing spay incontinence, but it can also lead to some real reflection if the dog dies suddenly.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest moremoney

My Doberman started on PPA when she was 2 years old. She was still taking it when she at 11 when she died. Freya did really well on it. Rory my 11 1/2 year old grey has been on Proin for several months now and she is doing greyt on it.

Good luck.

Before starting Proin, understand the drug is phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which was pulled from human use due to risk of hemorrhagic stroke. This is not to say it shouldn't be used, but that it is not without risk; it can be a real blessing in terms of minimizing spay incontinence, but it can also lead to some real reflection if the dog dies suddenly.

Very interesting. Well then maybe I will win the battle and get to tear out the carpet. Tile wipes up. ;)

The Girls

Jacey was on Proin for less than a week. She started licking incessantly, and was pooping the white hair she licked off her legs. Little Miss Obsessive-Compulsive didn't need another issue.

We tried DES which didn't do anything major. Jacey's leaking problems cleared up on their own after a month or so.

Mind you, she still pees funny--has a hard time finishing, and walks around in a crouch for a bit--but no more leakage.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Very interesting. Well then maybe I will win the battle and get to tear out the carpet. Tile wipes up. ;)

Rascal was on it years ago when they actually pulled it off the shelf for humans. According to the studies at that point there was nothing tying the same issues to dogs that use it. It is widely still used and that happened back in the late 90's.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest kelli123

I have a new bottle of proin

50 mg. 180 count. With only

About 20 tabs used. If you are giving

Her this dosage I will send you the bottle

Free. My girl was on this for 8yrs and

Passed away a few weeks ago. Would

Like for some one to be able to use

These other than throwing them away.

They are not cheap here at my vet

I paid 70. 00 for them. So if you or any

One would or could use them. Please

Email me your address and ill gladly

Send them out. Kelli

my girl has been on the 75mg capsules that are time release..once a day..she has not had any problems..one day when I forgot to give the capsule, she leaked..so it works but it must be given regularly

Guest K9Cookies

We recently switched our girl, Gracey, from DES to Proin. Haven't noticed any side effects with the Proin and I like the chew tabs that we can throw in her food. No accidents since we started the Proin.

I'm using Propralin, which seems to have the same active ingredient (phenylpropanolamine), for Cora and Jessie. Works like a charm. Piper won't eat it (it's a liquid that's put on food), and it messes up Minnie's digestive tract (she's IBD), but the two who are on it are doing well.

Just as an aside, Minnie's spotting is far worse when she eats snow, and was very bad indeed when she was on prednisone; Piper's is worse when she has a UTI. If the problem is a weak sphincter, and the dog is full, there is more likely to be a puddle.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FreddyGirl

freddy, now 5, has been on it for over a year- weak bladder out of the blue, spay incontinence so the vet said. Within a few days, the uncontrollable urinating stopped. She takes one a day of Proin. As far as I know, she's on it for good.