We Could Use A Few Prayers For Lilac

Guest houndstooth4

Guest houndstooth4

I have been home with the flu the last two days. I never thought I'd be happy to have the flu, but I am glad I was home this afternoon.

Lilac was asleep on her bed, when she suddenly began to thrash around. I thought that she was having a stroke. I called my husband, who headed for home and my vet to tell them we were on the way. The biggest problem was that I couldn't pick her up. She fought me like crazy, even though her back end wouldn't do what she wanted at all. Finally, I resolved to drag her out on her bed. That worked okay until we got to the back hallway and she started thrashing like crazy again, ending up down in the back hall closet where I couldn't get her.

We finally got her to the vet and they're doing tests, but they feel strongly that she had a seizure and not a stroke. She's alert and her vitals are good. She's staying overnight and we'll see what the bloodwork looks like in the morning. I just typed up a story about her for her fourteenth birthday, which will be Sunday. She's never been sick a day that I've had her. I know that a seizure on a fourteen year old dog isn't good, but it's better than a stroke!

If you could just send a few good wishes her way, it would be much appreciated!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest houndstooth4

I worry about the seizure, because fourteen year old greyhounds don't usually start having them for no reason, but it's a lot better than a stroke, that's for sure! She definitely did not have plans to stay there tonight, but I am really hoping we can get her home tomorrow. There's no place like home as far as she's concerned. I felt better when we left her, though. She was calmer after the valium, but still alert and definitely knew we were there. I got a nice case of stink eye for leaving her, which is mostly a good thing.

Guest Energy11
I worry about the seizure, because fourteen year old greyhounds don't usually start having them for no reason, but it's a lot better than a stroke, that's for sure! She definitely did not have plans to stay there tonight, but I am really hoping we can get her home tomorrow. There's no place like home as far as she's concerned. I felt better when we left her, though. She was calmer after the Valium, but still alert and definitely knew we were there. I got a nice case of stink eye for leaving her, which is mostly a good thing.

Because is sounds like a seizure, and if the vet also thinks so, have him/her send her home with trans-rectal Valium, which is nothing more than injectable Valium (liquid) Valium you can have pre-drawn up, 10-15 mg, in a syringe (no needle of course). If she starts seizing, you can administer the pre-loaded dose of Valium, rectally, and it SHOULD stop her seizure. I have it on top of my frig, pre-loaded, just in case, for Curfew.

It is a good idea to have it with a seizure prone dog. Good luck and lots of love! Dee and The Five

Guest houndstooth4

Yeah, I should mention that we have experience with seizures. Our bridge girl, Treat, had epilepsy, and because of that, I know more about seizures than I'd like to right now. That valium is a God send! We'll definitely be asking for some!

Poor Lilac :( I'm glad to hear she's alert now though and it seems to have just been a seizure.

One note - if you haven't already, have her thyroid checked. Ace had some weird seizure-y episodes and her thyroid was low. No episodes since being put on thyroid meds. I also think I remember reading somewhere that older females can be prone to thyroid issues :dunno

I hope she's feeling better soon...will you guys make it to the reunion on Saturday? I believe another one of Bunny's brothers was adopted recently :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest houndstooth4

I'm hoping we make it to the reunion, because I really want to see Bunny's siblings up there. It will depend on how much I've recovered from the flu and how Lilac is doing, though.

I'll mention thyroid tomorrow!

Edited by houndstooth4

Guest greytbuds

Just checking in for an update on Lilac. I do hope you have some good news from your vet and got to bring her home.

Hope you are feeling better, too!

:grouphug

Greytbuds

oh God, how scary!!! :( :( :(

sending many prayers and good thoughts!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway