Great Vets

laurie

I hear ya...I still miss Bailey's old vet, but after a couple of bad experiences with his staff, I decided I couldn't go back there.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

Yes! Mount Dora Veterinary Hospital, Mt. Dora Florida! My old vet/employer! Can't beat them, and no one compares! :-)) I have people down in Florida who drive two hours or more, to see this vet, and of course, the staff. THE nicest bunch of people on the face of the earth! Do I miss them??????? You have NO idea! Too bad his practice is in Central Florida :-(

:wub::pinkele:ghplaybow

I love my vet and the staff, and the techs. Very nice, and all of them start cooing the minute Beth walks in the door. . . she's made herself quite a favorite! I did have a neighbor new to the area who found the staff short with her when she called with a question about a medication for her grey before she was a client (she ended up going with another vet I also recommended.....)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I must be lucky because everyone in my vets office is great. When my Kiowa was on heart meds I walked into the lobby and they already had them sitting on the counter because they saw me pull into the parking lot. This past week I went in for another reason and the gal had my file pulled by the time I walked in the door. Regardless of who is waiting on me, every staff member that walks by will greet me by name.

Guest HoustonGreys

Every year when I take the basket of goodies into our vet's office the card always expresses how much we appreciate the staff too! I have told them MANY times if a great vet doesn't have a good staff, you might as well find another vet! We feel blessed!

I'm so in the same boat with the vet I currently use. Original founding vet, WONDERFUL!!! Additional vets and office staff, ROTTEN!!! I had a problem with my dog after boarding him there and between the office staff and one of the additional vets they basically didn't give a flip!! I hate to but I'm looking for another vet right now.

Guest 3greysinPA

i must be lucky.... i love the vet i use... everyone there is really GREYT.. Silver Maple Vet clinic here in PA... they are awesome...

now i cannot say the same thing about my family doctor's office... :huh talk about having a bad day... Wow!!! :blink:

me too. If my vets weren't who they were...

I kill the receptionists with kindness and they have gotten better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I put up with a similar situation for years--great vet, decent office staff, owners were complete jerks. Thankfully she left the practice and I followed her.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Naples' vet and staff are amazing! The staff always remembers us, and asks about the Borzoi and the cat, even thought they go to a different vet. They are just fantastic people.

There is also very little turnover, at least among the staff we all see. I have seen additions to the staff, but few, if any, losses. That says a lot to me!

The trouble is the distance from home. We are willing to do it for Naples, because of her issues. But in the future, we will go more locally. They seem very good too, but we have only been there once or twice.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest artemiss

Do I feel your pain..the vet we go to currently is awesome, but some of his staff, well.. <_<

When I was in the Lou, I absolutely ADORED my vet and the staff there was great, too. I got to know them REALLY well with our first dog, who had food allergies so bad we thought she had sarcoptic mange the first few months we had her. After near-weekly visits, I got a referral to a vet dermatologist who gave us the food allergy dx.

The we moved to Ohio, and I had a bear of a time finding a vet that carried the food she was on. We tried a few other OTC limited ingredient foods, but there was still a lot of low-level reaction that resulted in redness, itching, mild hairloss and secondary yeast and bacterial issues that were actually mild compared to the full-out hives and non-stop scratching we were seeing before.

While picking her up from her spay, a vet tech made some comment about how we needed to get her on a flea preventative since she was "just crawling with fleas" That woman does not know how lucky she was that is was DFH, and not me she said that to. After everything we went through with Kira and getting that allergy dx, I would have went ballistic on that ignorant ***** who apparently had NO IDEA and hadn't consulted her chart before flying of at the mouth. Yes it did look like flea-bite dermatitis, but considering how short/thin her coat was, and the fact that she got biweekly medicated shampoo baths, we'd have seen evidence if there were fleas :angryfire

We ended up going to a vet that we found who carried her rx food, but really, we just weren't as happy with them (and their insane billing practices) as the one with the cruddy staff. So we went back this past year to him, and I just suck it up that gal who checks us out is a moron.

Edited by artemiss

Guest fruitypebbles

Let the vet know about your issue with the office staff. They need to know this. Sometimes they aren't aware of what is happening up front. Talk to the vet or the practice manager. You may see things change.

Why can one never find a great vet who also has great office staff?

Been there, done that, switched vets. It is soooo hard to find that perfect combo. Ours is amazingly good. Most staff is long term, some of the staff for as long as 10 years. Took so long to find them.

I agree! It's darn near impossible to get through on the phone, they are rude, the wait is horrible and to check out takes an hour. I hate going to the vet! If I can find another greyhound-savvy vet nearby, you bet I'd switch!

Guest CorbysMom

West Orange Animal Hospital on Northfield Ave in West Orange, NJ. My favorite vet, Dr Boen, cut his veterinary teeth with my greyhounds and fosters. Talk about a baptism of fire - straight out of vet school and he gets me, the Fossil Dogs and 50 some-odd fosters over 6 years (at the time). Love him, really like the other vets a lot, adore the staff - they couldn't be better!

I don't live in West Orange anymore, but you best bet I make the 40 minute trip to get there. And if it was a late day emergency, Dr Boen would keep the office open until I could get there. I just adore that guy. :)

Guest HeatherDemps

Ooh, I guess I am lucky!! I love the vets, the tech, and the office staff. They know after last year I can run on the paranoid side but they never, ever make me feel bad about it and are all so nice. One of my iggies is a nightmare there- escape artist, screamer, scratcher, etc and they all put up with her with great big smiles (and not the gritting their teeth kind of smiles). :)

I've heard some real horror stories about vet staff. If I really liked the vet, I think maybe I'd let them know. Sometimes they don't know. Sometimes you give them the benefit of the doubt---they could be having a bad day. But if it's consistent, then something needs to be said. I know if I was rude to a client, I wouldn't be surprised if they complained. I'm lucky---everyone at my vets is wonderful (Avalon, in Pittsburgh). My vet has had Greys and loves and understands them.

When Winnie had her amputation, they kept her for 5 days at no hospitalization charge because they knew we had steps. And also importantly, because they loved her. They let me come in and visit and sit in her cage and feed her chicken! Whenever she'd come in, you'd think a true celebrity had crossed the threshold---even though we had to carry her because she would NOT do slick floors. The staff would fight to carry her too, and be the one in the exam room. We've euthanized all our dogs and cats there, and they are so kind. We always get a sympathy card afterwards too.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BlackandBrindle

It's taken almost four years but I finally found one with both.

I left two vets for atrocious support staff. I love my vet now though and live in fear that Roy is going to offend them somehow. :blush:lol