Bridge Day #3 - Pegasus

Guest Heehoo

I woke up this morning thinking about Pegasus. My big red brindle boy I lost 3 years ago today.

I met Pegasus the night I went to MSGAO to drop off my application. I fell hard for that guy. He was in the turn out pen having a blast, digging a hole to Australia. When I asked about him, I was told "that's Pegasus"...I fell in love with the name, then I was told "He's already adopted, he's going to a nursing home". Talk about disappointed.

Five months later I went to get a 2nd greyhound, someone for Snowy & low & behold there's Pegasus. Seems he was working out great at the nursing home, the ladies would make him necklaces. He had favorite patients he's sleep in their rooms during the day (he went home with a nurse at night). BUT....one of the patients did not like him, tied a necklace around his throat & then proceeded to choke him. He bit her, and was instantly returned. I guess he really wanted to come live with me. So I took him home with me & we lived happily ever after.

On the early morning of September 6, 2006...he died in my arms after suffering a heart attack. I took him before the sun was set that evening to my friends Cathy & Gavin's and we buried him overlooking their lake. The same place that later became the resting places for Snowy, Dear, BuyCut, Halo & Gogh.

He was a momma's boy alright. I miss him terribly. :beatheart

2832617943_29c743c584_m.jpg2832618471_a8eab8e661_m.jpg

2832620541_ecb996cdde_m.jpg2833458382_426a1ba847_m.jpg

{{{{{{{{{{Hilda}}}}}}}}}}

Rest well, sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have a picture of Pegasus, Brogan & Snowy racing, three wide in my backyard & the boys the other day were guessing which dogs were which in the pictures & when they came to Pegasus they both shouted LLenny!!! They'd never met Pegasus, but helped me take care of LLenny the week he was here.

I hadn't heard Pegasus' story before, Hilda, and it made me cry! You're right, fate meant him to be exactly where he was---with you.

How devastating when they leave us so suddenly. I feel that it takes our hearts extra long to heal because we're in no way prepared (not that we ever are, but I think there is an extra layer of grief when it's with no warning). But over the years, I hope you have found comfort in knowing that he was safe, happy, and so very loved, right up to the end.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a beautiful boy. And I love the name Pegasus, too.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I thought I had posted Pegasus' story before. After Sadie-Grey died, I didn't want anything but another brindle. She was colored more like Gabby, the tight stripes & he had loose stripes like LLenny or Spud. But I fell in love with his personality. He was running around the pen & then he'd run back over & dig. He just really stood out. Which was probably why the nursing home wanted him also.

Grace & Sandy told me he loved to visit the patients, they let him roam free around the home. The doors were locked & the only way in was showing ID at the door. Then a nurse took him home with her at night & weekends.

He always walked or ran around the yard with his tail up & over his back, and that morning he woke me up, he carried it down & I knew something bad was wrong. He fell twice before we got to the back door. I'm just thankful I was home with him when he left. I literally sat there on the floor with him & watched the light go out of his eyes. :beatheart

Hugs to you Hilda.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Mom2Shiloh

What a special adoption story! My Harley Stardancer was "adopted from under my nose" and then returned 2 weeks later! When it's really meant to be, they find a way... he was a beautiful soul... thank you for sharing him with us.

71105.jpg

He was quite a character. When I put hardwood floors in, no one knew what to do. I had little pieces of carpet & the dog beds down for them, but they all gathered close together. Pegasus took on the office chair.

I remember watching him only race once, Flying Pegasus. Never thought I'd ever adopt him. Then I did. We had a long relationship. He was barely 3 when I got him & he died when he was 10.

(That's Jack, BuyCut, Gabby & Pegasus in the chair)

Edited by Heehoo