Bad, Bad News

Guest mhall

I am SO sorry for your bad news. My heart aches for you. Our Timber was just diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago, and we're doing the same, just keeping her comfortable for these last few weeks.

The only thing I would say is, have you considered a third opinion? I know you probably have been through he ll and back, but since you had one incorrect diagnosis the first time, is it possible that this is a really hard case to solve, and perhaps you might want another esteemed vet in the area to take a look at the films, just to confirm that this is what you're dealing with?

I hope my suggestion doesn't pain you.

I wish you and your Tarmac love and joy in all the time you have left together. You have our shoulders to cry on.

Hugs. BIG hugs.

Please excuse the multiple posts and any spelling/grammatical errors. I'm posting from my iPhone and it's hard to edit.

I'm sorry to hear about Timber - my heart goes out to anyone else dealing with this. It sucks.

More than one vet looked at the x-Ray. It seems pretty definitive. There were significant changes in the bone shape and density, and the surgeon was pretty comfortable saying it was osteo just by looking at the x-Ray. I think the only other thing that can present in a similar way is a bone infection, and he hasn't had any symptoms of infection. We will take him back in a few weeks for xrays if he stays the same. If he continues to decline I may not bother, because he gets extremely stressed out when he goes to the vet. I wish this were something else, but eveyone seems sure it's cancer. I think it got missed initially because when we took him to the evet his knee was a bit swollen. They didn't see it because they didn't expect the problem to be up near his hip.

You and Timber will be in my thoughts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. That diagnosis is one we all dread. I hope that you and Tarmac have a long and happy time left ahead of you full of loving and spoiling and enjoying each other.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm sorry to say that I've had the same experience. I adopted Alex after he sat at the adoption kennel for 2 years. We had him for 2 years when he was diagnosed with osteo. It seems so unfair to him. The amputation decision is a very personal one and each person must decide what's best for them and their grey.

Osteo. is very painful. Tramadol alone probably won't be enough. A combination of meds tends to work better. The next step would be to add an NSAID (Deramaxx or Rimadyl, etc..).

Guest MnMDogs

I'm so sorry. Matty's OS was in the same spot, and we also opted not to treat.

I know you mentioned upping the tramadol already. But if you haven't talked to your vet about the max dosage, that might be a good idea. Matty's pain seemed to increase exponentially by the day. We went from 50 mg a couple times a day, to 125 every 4 - 6 hours (If i remember correctly). She was about 72 pounds. It's a horrible diagnosis, and my heart goes out to you and your boy.

It's been over 4 months since she died, and every time I read about another hound being diagnosed it breaks my heart.

Edited by MnMDogs

I think I'm starting to come to terms with this. I'm trying to be positive because I would like to look back at this last bit of time with him and have some good memories. This evening when we took Tarmac for a short walk I was able to focus on him enjoying being outside and sniffing all the neighborhood smells. Seeing him still taking pleasure in something small made me really happy. I do think our time with him is probably short, as his limp has gotten much worse and he's not wanting to walk very far. I'm hoping we can spend some time lounging in the backyard with him tomorrow after work.

[ name=ScottH' date='Sep 3 2009, 07:52 AM' post='4191694]

This is heart breaking news! :weep

Enjoy every minute with our TBH walking buddy.

Seeing Tarmac in his squirell coat always makes me smile.

Thanks Scott. I will miss seeing you and all the other TBH people and hounds. Tarmac will miss trying to follow Argos to the front of the pack.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news ... and I'll pass along what my sister told me when my first little girlie was diagnosed ... Tarmac is living in the best bed & breakfast that he could ever have hoped for, and when the time comes for him to leave this planet, he will leave surrounded by love.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you enjoy every moment you have together with Tarmac.

I'm very sorry to hear your news :(:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm sorry. Iknow how that feels to get that news when you are not expecting it. I chose the same option and had many happy months with my Jack. I would only suggest that along with the Tramadol you ask your vet for an NSAID such as medacam if he can handle it. The two together work so much better. I wish you joyful days with your boy.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I am praying for Tarmac, that his immune system over come his health issues and that love pervade yours and Tarmac's days.

59 years ago, the doctor's said I would not live after the surgery, but they were wrong. Miracles do happen :colgate

:grouphug

So good to see Tarmac today. Big hugs.

It was hard to come see everyone, but we were glad we did. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures you got once they're up. Will and I spent some time yesterday looking through older pictures of hikes.

Thanks to all who recommended adding in a NSAID. After a bad night on Saturday, we started Tarm on Rimadyl. The difference it's made for his pain has been amazing. He has had a slightly upset tummy, which I'm hoping will resolve itself.

Edited by mhall

I'm so sorry. Having gone through this earlier in the year, I know how you're feeling. We're all here for you. You're right, amputation is not a cure. It only takes away the pain of the tumor.

Edited by Heehoo

It was hard to come see everyone, but we were glad we did. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures you got once they're up. Will and I looked spent some time yesterday looking through older pictures of hikes.

Thanks to all who recommended adding in a NSAID. After a bad night on Saturday, we started Tarm on Rimadyl. The difference it's made for his pain has been amazing. He has had a slightly upset tummy, which I'm hoping will resolve itself.

Noreen mentioned asking the vet about using Pepcid with the meds, to help with belly issues.

:grouphug Gentle hugs for Tarmac.

Edited by ScottH

It was hard to come see everyone, but we were glad we did. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures you got once they're up. Will and I looked spent some time yesterday looking through older pictures of hikes.

Noreen mentioned asking the vet about using Pepcid with the meds, to help with belly issues.

:grouphug Gentle hugs for Tarmac.

My understanding is that pepcid shouldn't be used with NSAIDS as it contains an asprin like substance. I'm going to call Tarm's vet to confirm as soon as they open (they have weird hours today because of the holiday).

My understanding is that pepcid shouldn't be used with NSAIDS as it contains an asprin like substance. I'm going to call Tarm's vet to confirm as soon as they open (they have weird hours today because of the holiday).

You're thinking of pepto bismol, not pepcid.

Even pepto bismol can be used with NSAIDs, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you so much for coming out on Saturday... I know it wasn't easy in many ways so thank you and Will... to see Tarmac so happy to see his friends was uplifting and a moment I won't soon forget.

Stay in touch :grouphug

Maria, Michael, Rizzo & Kiwi