What Does This Look Like?

:( I just found this big lump on Zoe's back rear leg. It feels like bone. I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

My sweet Smokey had bone cancer but it couldn't be seen he just started limping so I'm not sure if this could be it.

Zoe has been stiffer in the hind leg lately too.

th_P1010155.jpg

th_P1010156.jpg

th_P1010157.jpg

Guest Energy11

So hard to say. Could be anything. Please don't think the worst, okay? I WOULD get Zoe into the vets for a look, and go from there. Might be a sprain or strain.

Good Luck and keep positive thoughts, please! Love and hugs from here for sure.

Guest meakah

It looks rather big for you to just notice. So, if it has just appeared that quickly, I would have it checked at the vet asap. But don't stress too much, it could be a lot of things and a lot of things that are not worth stressing over. I know it is scary since you have been through 'that' but this may not be that at all. I doubt Zoe would be still walking on that leg if it was 'that'. :grouphug to you and please update after you have seen the vet this week.

Try not to panic - I know it's hard :( - call the vet tomorrow morning and see if s/he can see you the same day.

Sending lots of good thoughts.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Vegas had something that looked like on his leg. it was a fluid build up from a previously injured muscle and the body chooses to build up the muscle to protect that spot. we had it removed and samples sent to the lab and the results came back as nothing.... and also the bump came back, its not painful just funny looking so we leave it alone.

a couple months after it was origonally removed.... its back!

DSC_0287.jpg

Could be a torn ligament, calcification around a previous injury, all kinds of things. Easy for me to say "try not to panic," but try not to panic, OK? Hugs and hopes it's nothing much.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TheDoggfather

Can you tell me where it's located? I'm having a tough time seeing exactly where it's at. I'm curious, too, if she's been running a lot or if she's particularly active. If it's what I think it may be, you don't have anything to worry about.

Edited by TheDoggfather

Can you tell me where it's located? I'm having a tough time seeing exactly where it's at. I'm curious, too, if she's been running a lot or if she's particularly active. If it's what I think it may be, you don't have anything to worry about.

It is on the left rear inside of leg. What humans would call the inside knee.

She hasn't been running a lot but walking a lot. We found a new macadam trail in the shady woods. Please tell me what you think it may be.

Zoe just got up. The lump is much smaller :yay

Edited by Fudge

Guest meakah
Zoe just got up. The lump is much smaller :yay

:thumbs-up I think I would still get it checked out for peace of mind but I am glad to hear it has shrunk. :) Perhaps she whacked herself at some point and it was just a bit of localized swelling. :goodluck

Guest TBSFlame
I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Well, I DID just notice it! I was outside sitting so I was almost eye level to it.

Same thing happened with Beecher. I just looked down and there was a big bump on his side. I couldn't believe I had not seen it before b/c it was so big and on his side. I hope it is nothing.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest TheDoggfather

If it's what I'm thinking, it's what we call a "jack"... like what someone else described, it happens when the dog's gait is off. Something akin to "knocking knees". If that's all it is, then you haven't a thing to worry about...the swelling will subside with rest. In the meantime, to help prevent the swelling, you can coat the 'jack' with bag balm. The BB won't do much (if anything) to aid in healing, but, it will provide some lubrication at the point of contact, ergo minimizing the friction which causes the swelling.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but, like I said, if this is all it is that's bugging her, then she'll be just fine. I sure hope it's all it is... fingers crossed.

It looks similar to what Dodger has and is in the exact same spot. His is calcification from an injury...most likely a torn ACL and it does make his gait off but doesn't seem to cause pain, just some stiffness. Do you know why your girl retired?

Hopefully it's just an old injury and nothing else. Don't panic yet, but definitely have the vet take a look.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

It looks similar to what Dodger has and is in the exact same spot. His is calcification from an injury...most likely a torn ACL and it does make his gait off but doesn't seem to cause pain, just some stiffness. Do you know why your girl retired?

Hopefully it's just an old injury and nothing else. Don't panic yet, but definitely have the vet take a look.

We have not been able to find Zoe's racing records. She was adopted when she was 4 and then returned and has been with me since she was 5. She now 9 1/2. So she must have been doing something from 0-4 years old. :dunno

We are resting today and the lump has gone down considerably. I have decided to call the vet if this does not continue to improve.