Soldi Is Not Doing Well...

It has been for 14 days now that Soldi lost her beloved companion and half-brother 'Ivy-Blue.'

She is still very depressed and hardly eats. I cook daily as dry food is completely impossible.

She eats just a minimum and lays all day around with a sad face. She doesn't want anything.

She even doesn't want to go for walks (except the beach, where she gets a bit back to her normal self),

she doesn't want bones, treats, toys, just nothing.

Her little face has gotten very bony and she's getting thin.

I give her homopathic IGNACIA and she gets RESCUE REMEDY.

I'm very worried and don't know what to do.

When the vet comes back from vacation we'll do an analysis. I hope she will recover from her sadness

and not die of sadness. Has anybody heard of Greys that die of saness for the loss of a companion?

How long can this last?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Marion I have not that happen personally, but I do feel very strongly it could happen.

We lost Kia in March of 2008. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine all three of my original hounds would be gone by March of 2009, leaving my spook Pearl by herself if we didn't get another hound. A dear friend and savior of my sanity pointed me toward a sweet little female she had in her kennel who was nearing the end of her racing career. I drove down to Alabama in September of 2008 to bring her home. Bones left us in December 2008, Future in March 2009.

We have just Pearl and Tru now while we wait for Cracker to finish up his racing / stud careers.

I don't know if Pearl would have made it through without Tru being here. I know we would not have.

Hugs to you. I know this is breaking your heart to see Soldi like this as you yourself still grieve for Ivy. I don't know if another dog is possible for you, but it would be the one thing I would try for Soldi. :grouphug

Guest Tenderhearts

Oh Marion, I wish I could fix it for you. Even though I had several dogs, Randy was very depressed when Lori Ann died. He and Skittle became best buds (always snuggled together at night), and when she died 6 months later, he was so so sad. Although he perked up to what most would think a 'normal' level after a couple of weeks, I could see he still wasn't the same.

Since Sissy the lurcher came to us, he's back full-force and he just loves her to death. He's completely muscled up again from all the running/playing he does with her in the back yard.

Has she had a complete physical exam? I don't mean to scare you, but after Chancy died, I thought my Marla was taking it particularly hard. I thought she was very depressed. Acting standoffish, not wanting to eat without serious coaxing, or do anything she formerly enjoyed. She moped for a good couple of weeks before I finally took her in to the vet.

I found out too late that she was very very sick. She had cancer, and I just hadn't understood the signs correctly. She died six weeks after Chancy died.

Maybe if Soldi is "just" depressed, like Diane suggested: a playdate with other dogs might cheer her up?

I hope she perks up soon. Poor baby. :(

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I remember you posting that another dog would not be possible because Soldi just would not accept another. But what about giving her that chance, maybe there is another dog out there that she would accept and enjoy that will help her bounce back

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Marion, recently a friend's grey died in their home, right in front of their other 2 greys. One of the dogs was deeply affected, obviously depressed, just wouldn't perk up. Even the other grey in the house couldn't cheer him up.

I had to pull a grey out of someone else's home and ended up taking to the home mentioned above. As soon as that sad grey met the new grey he immediately began wagging his tail - something his owners thought he might not do again.

I hope Soldi can at least find another grey to play with and cheer her - and you - up soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for your replies! I cannot adopt another hound for several personal reasons.

I will try to look for a play companion, difficult task as my friennds have got females which Soldi is totally incompatible with.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest sheila

barring any medical problems I think you know that what she needs is another dog. I know that you say that she will not accept another dog but maybe if you gave it some time and attention she could learn to accept another. It wouldn't even have to be another GH.

My Sammy was pretty lost when we lost Kiowa. It got to the point when we came across ANY dog of any breed/shape/size Sammy would whine and pull on her leash just to be near them.

Thanks for your replies! I cannot adopt another hound for several personal reasons.

I will try to look for a play companion, difficult task as my friennds have got females which Soldi is totally incompatible with.

There is a solution out there, there just has to be, and I sure hope you find it. Both you and your girl are in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest IrskasMom

Marion , I feel so badly for your Soldi and of course You . I have no Answer except a Playdate for her with another Dog .

Gentle Hugs for Soldi and you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

:grouphug Fostering maybe your answer, I am so, so sorry for your girl I have never had a pup die from a broken heart, but had one pine for 6 mo, until a new pup came into our home, now we have a pack, I am sure the pup felt my loss

I am so sorry for you and Soldi on the loss of your wonderful Ivy.

May I ask how you are acting around Soldi? If she hears, "Poor, poor baby" from you in a sorrowful voice, this may make her feel even more sad. If you always act like she is the best, happiest, luckiest dog in the world: "Come, Soldi baby! It's your favorite -- time for the beach!," talking to her in a very excited, happy tone, it may help a little over time. Of course it is not a magic cure for grief.

Eating. Diane Burpdog taught me that under certain circumstances, just give them what they will eat and don't try to push anything else, until they're eating more regularly. What has gotten several animals of mine to eat was lightly cooked beef or chicken.

Sending happy, upbeat cyberhugs to Soldi and gentle ones to you.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh, Marion! I didn't know you had lost your beautiful Ivy! I am so, so sorry! :cry1:bighug

Poor Soldi. She will be grieving. I agree with the others, what she really needs is a new companion, but I understand that you cannot adopt right now. Can you foster? Even a short term of fostering may help her get over her grief and depression. If you could manage to foster two or three in succession for short periods, it may help her to learn to cope alone. I don't know what your reasons are, but some rescues will pay all bills for certain 'special needs' or elderly dogs - maybe not in Spain though. I don't know. It might be worth finding out. Or perhaps you could do short periods of dog-sitting - maybe when people are away for a weekend or so.

As to your question, do dogs die of broken hearts, well yes, have to say I think it can happen, but it's very very rare. My Jack seemed to give up after we lost Renie and he followed her only five weeks later, BUT, he was very old. He was nearly thirteen and a half and already had things going on, healthwise.

EllenEveBaz has a point. Try to be upbeat around Soldi, and perhaps take her out a little more and keep her occupied, even if it is just for car rides. Does she have something which smells of Ivy? She may be helped by it, maybe not, but again, it might be worth a try.

I'm so sorry.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Shae went through a period of depression after we lost Sydney Sue, the alpha girl of the house. Shae ate, but would hide in the bedroom as much as she could. It broke my heart. :( It lasted about 6 weeks total. I don't want to add another dog, either, so I fostered a short term foster, and it did bring Shae out of her shell a bit. After the foster left, she seemed to get even more depressed, but then came out of it quickly - maybe two weeks after the foster left. Now she's back to terrorizing the perma-foster Chinese Crested. It's so hard to see them sad. :(

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Marion, has she been around any calm girl dogs lately? Only reason I ask is that I am finding that my Zema is mellowing a bit as the years pass. Still not terribly accepting of other dogs but not so much on edge about them.

Sending scritchies to your sad girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.