Soldi Is So Depressed...

It seems that the house is empty. Ivy was the life here in the house. He barked for his meals, he

ran to the door when visitors came and Soldi with him. He wanted to go for walks until his very last

day without hardly being able to walk in his last days.

He was very lively in his face expressions, always ears up and paying attention to what

happened in his little world. Soldi had shared all her life from day one with him and he was her

hero. She loved to snuggle with him...

Now she's alone. She doesn't eat, she doesn't want to go for walks (except the beach) she doesn't get

up when I come home...she just lays there often with open eyes and looks sad.

Her little face has gotten very bony and I 'm a bit worried...

Has anybody experienced that terrible sadness in a Grey after the loss of a beloved

companion?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest greyscot

My Sporty was like that when my non grey Shirley died. I added rescue remedy to his water but I did not force him to eat or go for walks except morning and evening to relieve himself. I could not (and still cannot) face getting another dog, so I was really anxious about him. Gradually, hunger got the better of him and after about 2 to 3 weeks he began to enjoy being the centre of attention (after the cats that is :lol).

I hope Soldi feels better soon :grouphug

Guest Energy11

Most definitely! They grieve like we do. Maybe a foster or another for her?

Energy grieved for a YEAR after Bob (late husband) died. When I met John (DH) he was happy again. They do grieve :-(

Guest IrskasMom

Marion , I am thinking of you and Soldi quite often .Another Houndie might be the Answer. For you and Soldi that is.

Some extra Hugs for you and Soldi :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest bonnebike

My guess is that they are all individuals.

Mary was very sad after Del died. She would go downstairs in the middle of the night and howl. It would break our hearts. It was a big reason we got Able so quickly. The thing is in the couple of weeks it took to get Able to our house she was getting better and better. If we'd waited a few more weeks I'm sure she would have been fine.

When Misty left, Ekko reverted back to acting like an 11 yr old. Then in walks Lenny and now she's acting like a 2 yr old again, she's happy and playful all the time.

And Wayne was not himself for about a week and then slowly bounced back

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, I'm so sorry you are dealing with the loss of your precious Ivy, as well as being worried about Soldi. I'm sure she could be missing her brother if they were close. I guess they are all different in their level of grieving, if they grieve at all. I don't think any of mine ever have. Even though they've all been close, my dogs have never seemed to miss their lost siblings, and I'm grateful for that. It's so hard to see her like that, isn't it?

They are creatures of habit, so I think anything that differs from their normal routine can throw them off. Sometimes it takes a little time to adjust, but if she really seems despondent without her brother, bringing another dog into the family could help. Do you foster? Maybe if you're not ready to adopt, another dog would boost Soldi's spirits. Or maybe Ivy will send you someone he wants you to have!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

My heart goes out to you and your Soldi.

Zema was inert for a week after Batman died. She would eat and she would go outside to the bathroom, but she would not do anything else. When she was outside, she would keep one ear towards the house and hurry in, in case that noise she heard was her beloved coming home :( :( :( .

Over the second week, she started to be more herself again. After another week or two, it became clear that she would be OK as an only dog, but I myself needed another dog. So a couple months later, we brought Joseph home.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Phoenix acted the same way when Loca passed away. Things have really improved since adopting Treasure last month.

Hope Soldi (and you) feel better :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest 3greysinPA
Yes. Any chance of getting a companion for her?

....that may be the best medicine for her.

Would you consider another hound? letting another one in to your heart now? or is just not the right time for you?

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Marion and Soldi :grouphug I'm so sorry. I know how hard this has been for the both of you.

Hoping Soldi can strengthen with time and feel better. You, as well.

Guest nerak254

At my house, it has happened every time a new angel has been called to the bridge. For my hounds, the only solution has been a new companion.

Guest PhillyPups

Marion,

Unfortunately, I know what you are going through. When I lost my beloved Runner very suddenly, my SugarBear went into deep depression, I almost lost her to it. I brought in Stepper and within 1-1/2 hours of him coming into our home, she ate for the first time in days. Sugs and Stepper never had the "bond" that Runner and Sugs had, but they had their own bond. When I lost Sugs, Stepper got into a funk, he chose Zeus. None of my current greyhounds have ever spent one day of their life without another greyhound.

I was in such pain at losing Runner, I never wanted another living thing in my home, I was totally emotionally devastated. Stepper not only helped heal Sugs, he helped me in my healing process. I still miss my handsome Runner, my sweet Sugs, My Queen, my stunning TigerPower and sadly my beloved Stepper. :bighug to you

I do understand.

Thank YOU all for your comprehensive replies! Yes, we are having a hard time. I still cry every day and sometimes

at night when the memories of Ivy become so strong.

Another hound is not an option.

Soldi doesn't like any other dogs. She doesn't want to get bothered and hates it whenever another dog triies to smell her. She's extremely sensitive but as well dominant and would never ever accept another female. The other day my brother came with his old Labrador mix (male). The dog is an angel. Sold hardly

allowed him to move and showed her teeth all the time.

I 'm not prepared to have another hound right now either...I only think of my Ivy and his whole life with me.

Greetings to all of you,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest shayla

Marion,

You've just described our grieving Haji after Shayla was attacked in June. We did let him smell her when she came home from the vet and tho she was wrapped in a sheet, he seemed to understand that she was gone. He smelled her twice from top to bottom, stepped back and walked away. He did the same to her bed. They used to use the beds interchangeably but now he won't use it at all. He does seem to be doing better. He's now eating and playing with his stuffies a little but if we leave he has a sad look on his face. When we come back he is very sedate. His personality has changed a bit, he seems to have lost some joy. So have we. I still have a hard time looking at the remembrance section. I can feel it all over again when I read about peoples losses. We're all doing better, it just takes time. I hope your sadness turns to happy memories one day soon....

Deb

Guest 4greytful

Sparkle was so depressed when her best bud Knobby passed. They had been inseparable for 9 years together. She lost so much weight, that I feared losing her too. She paid no attention to the other 2. I was getting desparate and had a communicator talk to her. She responded that same day and started to eat again. She began sleeping on "his" bed which no one else ever dared to do. We also gave her Rescue Remedy which is supposed to help grieving dogs. Unfortunately she was diagnosed 3 months later and we lost her anyway.

I would try the Rescue Remedy or Bach's Star of Bethlehem. Just a very small drop direct in her mouth or add to the water. Hugs to you.