Hobbes Has A Dental Tomorrow

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that he is home and on the road to recovery. Hobbes-eat something for your mom-you both will

feel better.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:yay :yay :yay

Go Hobbes!!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So glad he's home.......sure he'll mend quicker now with all his familiar things round him....

Sending healing well wishes for Hobbes

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I was holding my breath reading these updates!! I am so glad Hobbes is home and recovering - my goodness, dentals should not be that rough! I hope the recovery continues uneventfully!

:kiss2 Hobbes

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Glad to see Hobbes is home again. How is he feeling today? Please give him a big hug for me.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hobbes is doing great today!! Nothing like being at home to make a dog feel better.

He didn't even eat one bite of food yesterday but today he seems to have found his appetite again. He ate a package of cat food ( I had tried everything else by this point) this morning and a whole can of wet dog food this afternoon. I think were past that hurdle now. Phew!!

Giving him his pills yesterday and this morning was a disaster. I ended up spoiling two of the antibiotics because he wouldn't take the food they were put into and the capsules turned to mush. In the end I bit the bullet and just shoved them down his throat, I feel bad about hurting him but he needed to take the meds. Now that he is eating it should be a lot easier to give to him.

He still has the air bubbles under his skin with no real change. I'm really hoping it starts to go away soon as it causes him some discomfort. Other then that he seems a lot happier today so it's looking good for my old man.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Energy11
Hobbes is doing great today!! Nothing like being at home to make a dog feel better.

He didn't even eat one bite of food yesterday but today he seems to have found his appetite again. He ate a package of cat food ( I had tried everything else by this point) this morning and a whole can of wet dog food this afternoon. I think were past that hurdle now. Phew!!

Giving him his pills yesterday and this morning was a disaster. I ended up spoiling two of the antibiotics because he wouldn't take the food they were put into and the capsules turned to mush. In the end I bit the bullet and just shoved them down his throat, I feel bad about hurting him but he needed to take the meds. Now that he is eating it should be a lot easier to give to him.

He still has the air bubbles under his skin with no real change. I'm really hoping it starts to go away soon as it causes him some discomfort. Other then that he seems a lot happier today so it's looking good for my old man.

Hoping Hobbes continues to improve! I would NOT go back to that vet, EVER again! I am sooo sorry he has had to go through this!

:yay Hobbes!

Now that he's eating, he should make quick progress. :)

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I would NOT go back to that vet, EVER again! I am sooo sorry he has had to go through this!

Um, what do you think they did wrong? I must be missing something--perhaps something you perceive because of your background--because I don't see it. :dunno

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so happy for Hobbes! We've had a horse that had subcutaneous emphysema from a small trachea injury (got kicked in the neck by another horse). He blew up like a balloon from his jaws all the way down his mid-chest. It was slow to resolve ... only after the small trachea tear had healed, then the ballooning slowly went away.

When an endotracheal tube is placed for assisted breathing during surgery, the trachea may have had a weakened area or it may have been slightly nicked causing a small leak of air into surrounding tissues. This may, or may not, have been the fault of the vet. The tissue integrity may have been weak and possibly the problem was unavoidable.

Guest Energy11
I would NOT go back to that vet, EVER again! I am sooo sorry he has had to go through this!

Um, what do you think they did wrong? I must be missing something--perhaps something you perceive because of your background--because I don't see it. :dunno

All I can say, is vets and docs are human, and things happen, but, if one of my dogs came home froma surgery with subq air/ "Crepitus," I would NOT be happy. In my four years working with Dr.B, who did surgeries four days a week, I NEVER saw a dog leave, full of Crepitus ...

All I can say, is vets and docs are human, and things happen, but, if one of my dogs came home froma surgery with subq air/ "Crepitus," I would NOT be happy. In my four years working with Dr.B, who did surgeries four days a week, I NEVER saw a dog leave, full of Crepitus ...

Thank you. As I said, I just don't have the background to understand the problem.

He blew up like a balloon from his jaws all the way down his mid-chest. It was slow to resolve ... only after the small trachea tear had healed, then the ballooning slowly went away.

OMG that's exactly what Hobbes looked like. It was literally like a grapefruit was stuck under his jaw bone (not the normal swelling from his gums) It was blamed on the post-op bleeding he had but now I'm really having doubts.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Energy11

Thank you. As I said, I just don't have the background to understand the problem.

:-)))

Glad he's home and on the road to recovery...I'd be a little concerned that they didn't know what it was in the first place, especially when people here on GT knew what is was.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest eaglflyt
He blew up like a balloon from his jaws all the way down his mid-chest. It was slow to resolve ... only after the small trachea tear had healed, then the ballooning slowly went away.

OMG that's exactly what Hobbes looked like. It was literally like a grapefruit was stuck under his jaw bone (not the normal swelling from his gums) It was blamed on the post-op bleeding he had but now I'm really having doubts.

It's fairly easy to tell the difference in a hematoma caused by bleeding, or crepitus/sub q emphysema. A hematoma will feel like a firm, fluid filled balloon ... or maybe firmer. Subcutaneous emphysema will feel just like air that feels like it crackles beneath the skin when you press on it and it will also sound hollow if you gently tap on it.

It's fairly easy to tell the difference in a hematoma caused by bleeding, or crepitus/sub q emphysema. A hematoma will feel like a firm, fluid filled balloon ... or maybe firmer. Subcutaneous emphysema will feel just like air that feels like it crackles beneath the skin when you press on it and it will also sound hollow if you gently tap on it.

I never touched it so I don't know what it felt like. It didn't appear to be fluid filled though just really puffy.

Edited by greytluck

Glad he's home and on the road to recovery...I'd be a little concerned that they didn't know what it was in the first place, especially when people here on GT knew what is was.

I now have a feeling they did know exactly what it was and what had caused it but they certainly didn't let me in on it. Instead they claimed they have never seen such a thing and left me to worry sick over Hobbes. Even if it was their mistake I could understand it, I mean they are human but to be dishonest over what happened is inexcusable in my opinion. This whole situation has left me feeling sick and angry. Not only did this cause my husband and myself considerable stress it also caused Hobbes a lot of pain. Thankfully for GT at least I now know what he had and that he will be fine. My husband is in the process of writing a letter to The College of Veterinarians of Ontario (CVO) so hopefully no one else will have to go through this.

When an endotracheal tube is placed for assisted breathing during surgery, the trachea may have had a weakened area or it may have been slightly nicked causing a small leak of air into surrounding tissues. This may, or may not, have been the fault of the vet. The tissue integrity may have been weak and possibly the problem was unavoidable.
Edited by greytluck

Guest Energy11

Good idea... writing to the veterinary board there. NO, you should NOT have had to go through this. When I worked for Dr. B, and he made a mistake (which was very rare), he would fully explain whataever it was to the owners, etc. Hiding things and not giving you guys the truth, was way worse, in my opinion, than if they admitted making a mistake. As you said, we are ALL human. Glad your baby is feeling better, though!