Healing Light For Bumper

Lots of good thoughts being sent for Bumperdog :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Thank you again GTers. Bump-man is not out of the woods yet. We saw him tonight and got a bit of a tail wag and the 'paw' from him, so that was VERY encouraging. That said, within seconds he started to tremble and chatter his teeth, which lasted almost 15 minutes. He's laying on his side, even while eating / drinking, unable or unwilling to get up and they turn him every so often to avoid sores. He goes out to relieve himself every 6 hours and gets assistance from 2 people and a sling. Can you imagine?? This guy was racing in December! Technically, they aren't doing anything other than 'managing' him - pain, some PT with leg stretches, massage, cleaning up after any messes, etc. The drugs he is on now can be given at home.

So, here is what I am going to do:

1. Spring him tomorrow
  2. Accept that he needs a lot of help/care
  3. Turn him, get him outside, feed him, clean up after him. I can put a shower curtain down to avoid messes on his bed.
  4. Keep him comfy and cozy AT HOME
  5. Hopefully be happy that he is back under our roof where he can rehab over the next couple weeks.
The doctors say all he needs is time and rest. The steroids could show positive impact at any point.

I just think he'll be happier at home and we all know what a difference the environment can make in a patient's recovery.

I work from home and DW comes back from overseas tomorrow night. Our vacation booked a year ago starts Friday, but we won't be going anywhere until Mr Bump's body decides it no longer needs to inflame his spine.

Thanks for all the continued support...we are doing everything we can for the boy and hopefully being home will be the boost he needs to get better. If you think I'm crazy and he should stay in professional care, please let me know what I may be missing. Thanks all.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11

Wow, you are a Greyt Dad!

I am glad you are bringing him home, and giving him all that wonderful care! Good luck, and lots of love!

I am sure he will be happier at home! If you are up to caring for him, and it sounds like you are, then I think you are doing the right thing. I am a firm believer in things like attitude and positive outlook help the healing process, and he will have all that at home.

:candle

Checking in with more prayers for Bumper. I'm glad you have a plan to take him home and keep him comfortable.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest vahoundlover

Bumpers symptoms sound eerily like what Boss went through several years ago. Boss had a bulged disc and an infection in his spinal cord. He recovered 97% use of his legs so don't give up! We found this assistance harness to be invaluable. Boss wore his 24/7 for the remainder of his life, we lost him 2 yrs later just shy of 14.

http://northcoastgreyhounds.net/store/index.php/cat_140

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Guest jerrybird

Hopefully he will be improved this morning; but I too think he'll be happier at home. Wishing him (and you) all the best.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure he'll get much more rest at home. :getwell

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending lots of healing thoughts for Bumper

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What is that? I'm getting a big welcome home party?? I'm listening closely for that ziploc baggie sound from the kitchen with my food in it!

003.jpg

In case you wondered, this is what my home bed looks like:

001.jpg

How do you like my big smile now that I'm home?!

004.jpg

GTers - thank you for all your support. It has truly made me feel better, knowing I can come ack to this thread and read everyone's well wishes. This has been a very difficult time and I appreciate all the well wishes for Bumper.

Here is the scoop:

- He's on steroids, pain, and digestive meds, the latter to help counteract blowout D he had at the vet. Re-introducing his raw food has stopped the D, thankfully!

- He has enough mobility in his back legs to stand for short periods and walk with the help of a sling.

- In just 7 days, he's lost a HUGE amount of weight and muscle mass, which I hope he'll put back on in the coming weeks.

- He needs PT daily, which I will do. He doesn't stand longer than about 45 seconds without getting tired, but it's a start. At least he can walk a bit (30 feet?).

- He is much more alert tonight than the last 2 so I think all of this is working.

- The fact he can't get up worked to our advantage on the drive home (1 hour). He laid comfortably right behind me and didn't try any stunt man stuff.

* Most importantly, he is really happy to be home and can now 'relax' and catch up on his sleep. We have a long road ahead but will manage.

Will keep you posted on his progression, in the hope that this may help someone else facing similar issues.

Bumper gives a big paw to GTers and thanks you so very much!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

He's HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fabulous!!!!!!!

Sounds like he's doing really well. Know it might not seem like it to you, but he can stand and walk with a little help. That's huge! Hope he continues to make steady progress. Sending best wishes to him, and to his people.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That sounds so encouraging! :yay And thanks so much for Bumper :digicam - he is a fine looking houndie. More best wishes on their way!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I am so glad that Bumper is back home! That is the best medicine for him and will make healing and progress happen more quickly.

That's a wonderful update. Being home is the best medicine there is. We'll be following his recovery and pray that its quick and easy!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee