I Don't Know What Else To Do

He's gotten so thin I'm surprised the neighbors haven't called the Animal Protection people on me (probably they haven't because Rose is such a fat little muffin, from eating Rhem's leftovers). The vets can't find anything really wrong, other than a bad back. I'm feeding him pasta, pizza crust, pancakes, Satin Balls, puppy food, stinky canned food, whatever I can get him to eat--which is not much, these days. He's been wormed three times now (he was positive for hooks). He's had a two week, three times a day course of antibiotics. He's been on Metacam for his back. We tried him on thyroid replacement just to see if it would help (it didn't). He's on Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime. All his bloodwork is really good. His poops are good. He drinks normally. He wags his tail (although not much, anymore--I really miss his helicopter tail), and he still carries his pillow around, although mostly he lays in bed. And still, he loses weight.

I'm just watching him waste away, it seems, and it's killing me. I feel so completely helpless.

:(

What else can I do for him? Ideas? Suggestions? What has worked for other hounds?

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

I'm so sorry. I know that awful feeling of watching them waste away like that. I'll keep you both in my prayers. I truly hope someone has some ideas for you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Has your vet contacted Dr Couto at Ohio State? The vets there might be able to make useful suggestions for other tests if they know what tests he's had already. http://vet.osu.edu/1871.htm

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Worth doing an abdominal x-ray / ultrasound?

When B was ill, he got 4-6 meals per day (yeah, he was terminal and I pray that's not the case with your boy; but, I was determined he wouldn't be thin). He wouldn't eat kibble, which is a great source of concentrated calories, so I focused on meat. Mostly ground beef with some chicken mixed in to cut the fat a little. Other staples were eggs (readily available protein), spaghettios, cinnamon bread, Tripett (canned green Tripe). Some tricks we used:

- warming the food

- sitting down with him and feeding him one spoonful at a time from a people bowl

- drizzling honey or molasses on top (or vanilla ice cream or yogurt)

- sitting down with him and doing "bite for me, bite for you."

- preparing his bowl like a divided cafeteria plate with beef here, spaghettios there, etc. so I could see which thing he ate and offer more of that

- establishing 7:00 p.m. ice cream time (there is some "autopilot" value in giving the many meals at specific times)

- giving him some of anything that he expressed an interest in that was safe for him to have; lost a couple of my own lunches this way, didn't care

You may have already tried all those things, but maybe will spur some ideas.

Hugs and scritchies to your sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tammara

I know my Bear will not eat if in pain. He has all kinds of back and neck issues(long story wont bore you), and when he hurts he will turn his head to his favorites.... It is frustrating and heart breaking when they won't eat. The only thing that worked for Bear was managing his pain better with meds and acupuncture/chiro... Could it be that your baby is not eating from pain? Is he on any meds? would you consider acupuncture? Just throwing out thoughts for you... hope this helps.

You might try a probiotic, just on the off-chance it'll kick-start something in his gut- particularly after the courses of antibiotics. The Purina FortiFlora Canine formulation has been mentioned a couple of times.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

When my dogs were sick and just didn't want anything, I would get the small jars of the meat baby food and they woudl eat the whole jar. I know it can be expensive but I would give them a handful of other foods they loved and then the baby food. Just a thought, it worked for mine. I wish you all the best, will keep fingers crossed he starts to eat more. God Bless.

Try the other acupuncture vet. We got Austin in good shape even though we "knew" he was harboring cancer somewhere and acupuncture bought him 8 good months. The other thing we did with Austin was put him on pred which you cannot do if you are giving metacam. Helped with arthritis and appetite.

Can you get frozen BilJac there? Have you tried EVO canned and EVO kibble?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest kydie

just a suggestion, has he been checked for a malabsortion issue, you know the food is not being absorbed? So no matter what he eats is not being used by the body. Just a thought poor boy :huh

Guest Energy11

Everyone has suggested very good things! We are praying for your boy, and wishing him the best. Hope you find something he will eat. You MIGHT want to try Science Diet Prescription A/D for sick animals. They ALL seem to love it, and, it was all Max would eat, when he was dying from Osteo. Might be worth a try. It is very rich in protein and good nutrients!

Guest MyCody

Will he drink Ensure or Boost? When our Willa was wasting away that's what kept her going, but she was ultimately diagnosed with lymphoma after her first vet set her home without a diagnosis.

Guest Energy11
Will he drink Ensure or Boost? When our Willa was wasting away that's what kept her going, but she was ultimately diagnosed with lymphoma after her first vet set her home without a diagnosis.

I LIKE the idea of the Boost or Ensure. Science Diet A/D prescription is about the same, from what I can tell from the label, and it is like baby meat ... they lOVE it! Maybe try both???

Guest LANDOLISA
Has your vet contacted Dr Couto at Ohio State? The vets there might be able to make useful suggestions for other tests if they know what tests he's had already. http://vet.osu.edu/1871.htm

I agree with KF_in_Georgia, Contact OSU... They diagnosed our Lisa... It wasn't what we wanted to hear, but at least we knew why she had been sick... This was after months of local vet visits. Lisa would eat boiled hamburger, boiled Ground chicken and rice really well when she wouldn't eat anything else

We'll keep Rhemus and you in our thoughts and prayers. :hope

Pardon me if I'm not in the loop here ... but have you ruled out a dental problem?

Lots of good suggestions.

As for the back problems, this past weekend, somehow my Indy, 11-1/2, who has LS and mild disk protrusion, further twanged his back. He rarely got up all weekend. :weep He is a TOTAL food hound and when I was cooking chicken and rattling wrappers -- he didn't even get up to come into the kitchen.

On Saturday, I took him for an "emergency" acupuncture treatment and on Tuesday (after FINALLY finding a doc who performs chiropractic on small animals), I took Indy for his first chiropractic visit. :yay OMG - what a difference it made. Long story, which I won't ramble on about, but he had several disks out. Indy has been going for acupuncture treatments since Nov08 and now combined with the chiro -- I think that's the ticket! At 11-1/2, I don't expect miracles but seeing him in pain just breaks my heart.

Obviously, I don't know what's up with Rhemus -- but if none of the above seem plausible, then as suggested - perhaps an ultrasound?

For Rhemus :dogcookie

Guest argolola

I will pray for your sweet boy.

Another vote for Ensure. Rudy had gotten down to being so boney, he put the weight back on with vanilla Ensure.

Thanks, everybody, for all the great suggestions. I have some things I can try, now, and even if none of them help, at least I'll feel like I'm DOING something for him. I love my boy so very, very much, and I just want him with me as long as possible.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

I'll echo what IndyandHollyluv said. Whenever ours have had a sore mouth, they won't eat. How are his teeth?

Things that I've had success feeding when tummies have been off:

Scrambled eggs

Buttered Toast with jam

Vanilla ice cream mixed in with their food

Vanilla Ensure (nice thing about this is you can syringe it down their throats)

Soft Dog Food (the all LOVE Beneful stews)

Sardines

Canned Tuna

Ground beef (raw or cooked)

Poached chicken breast

Melted cheez whiz poured on the food

Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the food

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I agree with a abdominal xrays and then an ultrasound if needed.

When my angel greyhound would not eat I found that he would eat canned jack mackeral.

I also agree with the veterinary prescription a/d food is worth a try. If you can't get the a/d right away try a good

canned food (without any chunks). Get a baby syringe (no needle). Warm the

a/d with a very tiny bit of water, mix it and fill the syringe up with the a/d & water. Put the tip of the syringe in

the side of his mouth and give a tiny bit at a time. That way it is in his mouth and he will have to swollen it.

Try to get a whole syringe full in to him tiny squirts at a time. A/d is very calorie dense. If that works out for

you, you are on your way to making him feel better because he'll have some nutrition. I would do that 4 times

a day and hopefully he'll start eating some on his own. :goodluck

You may want to try a Pepcid also.