Therapaw Rubbing On Dewclaw And Causing An Abrasion

Guest mtnbluebird

Guest mtnbluebird

Well I got a therapaw for Folsom, and when he's wearing it I notice he's limping less. He obviously dislikes wearing it, and slaps his foot down and occasionally trips over the tip of it. (He's been getting better at wearing it) I don't want him to twist an ankle so I adjust it at least once or twice during our walks (only about 1/3 of a mile). I adjust it so it's pretty snug so it doesn't slide down. The problem is a sore is developing between his dewclaw and his ankle. Anyone run into this problem?

I tried to get my Conor to wear one on each front paw & he never got used to them. Hated them with a passion & would always kick them off repeatedly during a walk. I tried putting a baby sock over his foot then the boot, but that was just more for me to put back on. When I would finally take them off, he would lick & lick his toes & ankles. :( I'm sure if he kept them on long enough, he would have had sores too.

Someone here recommended Neo-paws & he is so much happier. I got the summer shoes & will probably get the more enclosed ones for winter. They have an angle already in them unlike the therapaws that are straight. The dogs foot/ankle bends the therapaws. He doesn't try to kick them off & walks very well in them.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest MnMDogs

A little trick I learned from Meredith - Turbotaina - just cut out a bit of the boot where the dew claw is. We do that for Mork's left front (right front doesn't bother him), and haven't had a problem since we started doing that a year ago.

Since he wears 4, the extra step of a toddler sock or vet wrap just added more time to an already lengthy process to get him ready for a walk.

Could it be the thera paw doesn't fit properly?

I have both, the thera paw and the neopaw, both an excellent product. It's almost impossible for them to get the neopaw off during a walk or even a run because of the way it's constructed, but with the neopaw you really do need to put one on both feet(front or back)

It could be that the thera paw is rubbing because it's too big which would also cause the tripping over the toe of it.

Just a thought

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest mtnbluebird

Well I took very specific measurements of his foot and sent them to the therapaw company. When the boot is fully on it seems to fit well. His toenails come right up to the front toe edge and the cuff sits right below the small pad that's high up on his ankle (front foot). He's unsure at first to put his foot down and hobbles around holding his foot up, but then gets used to it and puts weight on the foot. He's got a corn on that foot and almost never puts his full weight on that side, except when the boot is on. He's never gotten the boot off, and he doesn't seem to want to take the boot off. We stop regularly along our walks to eat grass, sniff, just for the sake of stopping (my boys are so lazy I swear...) but he'll ignore the boot for the most part. It's just that it slips down about a quarter of an inch, he starts tripping over the toe, I don't want him to twist an ankle! The slapping noise is getting quieter, I think he's getting used to it. I will try cutting out a hole for his dewclaw, perhaps that will help with the slipping issues as well. I really don't think this boot is too big, I was worried about tightening it too much, but maybe I should make it as tight as possible. There's still plenty of velcro space left to tighten around his lower leg/ankle area.

Are neopaw boots good for corns?

I have a pair of neopaws summer boots for Sully's corn. They work great! I use a pair so that he isn't "off-kilter" with only one boot on. The neo-paws have a thicker sole, more like a human shoe or boot, so only putting one on would be weird feeling for the dog. Sully wears his on his front feet. We've never had problems with them coming off or rubbing.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

They work for my corn-dog. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

A little trick I learned from Meredith - Turbotaina - just cut out a bit of the boot where the dew claw is. We do that for Mork's left front (right front doesn't bother him), and haven't had a problem since we started doing that a year ago.

Yup - you can do that with a dog that isn't very active and isn't likely to do something that would catch the dew and damage it. One of our foster dogs actually made his own hole in his Therapaw :rolleyes:

For most dogs though, I'd recommend padding and taping. You can take a small cottonball, tear it in half and tuck it under the dew. Then tape with Vetwrap :)

I'm lucky - my boy's corns are on his back foot :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

They work for my corn-dog. :)

Same here, and as already mentioned, with the NeoPaws, you want to use them in pairs

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 1 month later...
Guest DunksMom

Dunkin' wears a therapaw on the front foot and we had the same experience. I put a bandaid around his foot so that the padded part is right under the dew claw before I put the boot on and it solves the problem! I tried the neopaws and they didn't seem cushioned enough for poor Dunkin' (he is a bit of a wuss, though) try it.....

Thanks for posting this...Bailey has the same problem so we have to pad it...maybe the band aid would be easier

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 13 years later...

I’ve tried a plaster (band aid) under the dew claw but it doesn’t seem enough. Maybe it’s because there was already a sore there and I need to let it heal 100% first. The question with vet wrap is, do I need to go this every walk and then remove or can I keep it on for a day or so? It’s already a right palava going for a walk!!! 

On 6/25/2009 at 3:31 PM, ahicks51 said:

I'd pad between the dewclaw and the leg, and then wrap lightly with Vetwrap or similar.

and make sure it's trimmed- you can use a medicated powder to keep it dry, then the wrap. nails and toes need to be kept dry or fungus appears quickly.

now that your dog is wearing a therapaw you need to start clipping nails weekly.