The Last Battle

CaliforniaGreys

A friend sent this to me today, I wanted to share it with you. Author is unknown.

The Last Battle

If I should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep.

Then you will do what must be done,

For this--the last battle--can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand.

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so,

When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where my needs they will tend,

Only stay with me, until the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

It is a kindness you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close we two these years

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytful4

Oh that's so beautiful...I wish I could've had the courage to be with my sweet girl at the end,I'll forever feel guilty about that.

This is what I can't seem to recover from, not being with Andy when he went. My little boy went without his mom holding him. :weep I don't know if I'll ever get past it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest myGreyHeart

It does make me cry.The very thought of it does. :cry1 I used to think I could never be there if circumstances turned out that way. Writings like these make me imagine what our dear hounds would want. I feel now part of life with them is to be there until the very end, I pray for strength if it needed to happen like that. :(

I love that poem, although it's very sad. They have it on the wall in reception at the crematorium we've used in the past.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

This is what I can't seem to recover from, not being with Andy when he went. My little boy went without his mom holding him. :weep I don't know if I'll ever get past it.

You are holding him in your HEART at this very moment. He knows/ understands you better than anybody(maybe even better than you) and knows what you were and were not capable of at that time in your life. I hope someday he sends you a sign to comfort you. He crossed over enveloped and held by your love-physical presence not withstanding. He knew this and he knows he will always be a part of your heart and is eternally loved.

Even though we were there, holding her, laying on her, litterally my head on her side, my arms around her, I have a hard time coming to terms with the whole thing.

FEELING her heart stop was something that I don't think I will ever get over. It haunts me so. I am sitting at work (no docs here today, thank GOD!) sobbing.

I miss her.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PiagetsMom

One of the vets I've used had that hung in their waiting room in a spot that it would be impossible not to notice.......hopefully it brought many struggling with that decision comfort.

This is going to be an odd post, but I really want to tell those who have had one of theirs pass away under circumstances when you couldn't be there.

I know some of you will laugh at this, but laugh away. Maybe just one person will experience some comfort.

My very first girl Katie, a very healthy 7 year old passed away in the back yard while I was not at home. One of my biggest fears had come to be, that one of mine would pass away alone.

To say I was devastated was an under statement. I was haunted by that for a long time, past the point of what was normal and I couldn't seem to bounce back from it.

Against everything I believed in, I called a communicator.

The night before the session with her, I was laying in bed and talking to Katie in my head. I asked Katie to please let me know in some small way that this communicator was real and not a fake.

I asked Katie to tell me something that would let me know it was really her communicating. I asked her to let it have something to do with her name.

For some odd reason, I always called Katie, Katie Crockett.

So, the next day comes and I'm on the phone with the communicator who knew nothing about me and just knew that Katie passed away in the yard and that she was a Greyhound. That was it.

In the middle of the session, the woman stops and says to me, I don't know why, and I hope this makes sense to you but Katie keeps telling me to tell you that she loved her name.

The communicator went on to say, that Katie said she loved that you called her Katie Crockett.

I almost fell off the couch.

I'm telling you this story because this communicator was very real, and she told me that Katie had to leave the way she did with you not there. She did not want you to see her seize the way she did because it was so violent and she knew what that would do to you.

So sometimes, they choose to leave without us present.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TheUnrulyHound

beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my life was always safest in your hands.

I held Crackerjack the best I could...... :weep

This is going to be an odd post, but I really want to tell those who have had one of theirs pass away under circumstances when you couldn't be there.

I know some of you will laugh at this, but laugh away. Maybe just one person will experience some comfort.

My very first girl Katie, a very healthy 7 year old passed away in the back yard while I was not at home. One of my biggest fears had come to be, that one of mine would pass away alone.

To say I was devastated was an under statement. I was haunted by that for a long time, past the point of what was normal and I couldn't seem to bounce back from it.

Against everything I believed in, I called a communicator.

The night before the session with her, I was laying in bed and talking to Katie in my head. I asked Katie to please let me know in some small way that this communicator was real and not a fake.

I asked Katie to tell me something that would let me know it was really her communicating. I asked her to let it have something to do with her name.

For some odd reason, I always called Katie, Katie Crockett.

So, the next day comes and I'm on the phone with the communicator who knew nothing about me and just knew that Katie passed away in the yard and that she was a Greyhound. That was it.

In the middle of the session, the woman stops and says to me, I don't know why, and I hope this makes sense to you but Katie keeps telling me to tell you that she loved her name.

The communicator went on to say, that Katie said she loved that you called her Katie Crockett.

I almost fell off the couch.

I'm telling you this story because this communicator was very real, and she told me that Katie had to leave the way she did with you not there. She did not want you to see her seize the way she did because it was so violent and she knew what that would do to you.

So sometimes, they chose to leave without us present.

Claudia, an amazing story! Second set of tears in the same thread! When Zena left me, as I held her a part of me was forever gone. Still brings tears thinking of the moment that she left. What a comfort to read the Last Battle

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest CDNgreys

I have this poem at the back of my Bridge boy's scrapbook. I have another one that is special to me too.

cbudshome.......LOVE your story....absolutely no laughing here!!!!!

Guest jettcricket
Even though we were there, holding her, laying on her, litterally my head on her side, my arms around her, I have a hard time coming to terms with the whole thing.

FEELING her heart stop was something that I don't think I will ever get over. It haunts me so. I am sitting at work (no docs here today, thank GOD!) sobbing.

I miss her.

I feel the same way....it's hard getting the images of Jett and Cricket taking their last breath out of my head.

God, how I miss my kids.

I think of them everyday and my heart aches to hold them one last time. :(

Guest 4baddogs

This is why I can't spend time in this forum. I get a migrane from crying, plus a horribly snotty nose.

This is really, really awesome though.

Guest Energy11

I wasn't with Bold Energy when he went, either. We took him to the E-vet that night ... it was Intusception, they said. He stayed the night, on Valium, fluids, etc., and in the early morning, the Evet called ... nothing had changed ... "Maybe surgery would help?" I decided not to put a dog that old, through that type of surgery, for a "maybe," and told her to send him to The Bridge. I had recently lost a husband to cancer, and THOUGHT I couldn't bare to be there! THIS HAS HAUNTED ME TO THIS DAY, eating away at me ... I have done EVERYTHING in his name, ... everything. Guess what is how I ended up with five dogs, seven at one time ... my screenname, license plate, passwords, etc. I will ALWAYS BE with the others, as we were with Max and Dasher ... I know how you feel! D :cry1:sad1

Guest ss556

Well tears are starting my day again. Beautiful poem, I will print it and put it in Alan's scrapbook. I was there with Alan and did hold him and did talk to him and saw him take his last breath and I am glad I was able to be there. But even so, I play it over and over in my head. I know I did the right thing for him, but I don't think I will ever be the same again. I wish I could come to terms with it.