Neuter Now Or Wait?

Guest hvacman250

Guest nerak254
He, of course, will be a pet only. No coursing and no racing; only running he will get is with his 3 brothers and sisters (greys) in a huge back yard.

We do foster, and I prefer females, so I do worry about a female going into heat here and something heppening. I could foster males only, or make 100% sure there is no potential contact with a girl until she is vetted.

My concern is for his health. Would he be a healthier if I postponed neutering until 12 months old? 18 months old? That was my main concern.

Geez, now I dont know what to do.

Oh, and Rocket said ... Its not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Guest Hoolyghans

Ok...I do have a picture

This was taken when he was 11 months. It hasn't gotten any bigger.

Where's a blushing smiley when you need it???? :blink:

104_2741_edited-1.jpg

Spike was neutured at around 12 weeks and now at 16 months he is a *big* boy. Still has that gangly teenage look but he's tall.

He does have an incredibly teeny weenie :gnome I don't know if this will have any medical implications down the road but gosh....it's really really tiny.

Not that I'm in the habit of measuring such things but, um, it's really apparent.

I don't have any pictures of that....

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Orion was neutered at just shy of 4 months and he's got the teeny weenie, too! He likes to roach and we always joke that he doesn't have anything to be showing off like that! Other than that, he's really tall and lanky. He has no extra body fat on him and we've tried to fatten him up. He's the tallest of our three and is right up there will some of the tallest greys I know. He's got killer muscle definition but no bulk. He's sickinjured right now and the lack of bulk is a bad thing. He's lost a ton of weight and every bit of it shows as he's skeletal. His current condition notwithstanding (and not related), it has never caused him any problems and the vets have said he's fine.

Fenway and Orion are littermates....and apparently are identical in every way right down to their teeny weeies. :D Fenway's got the smallest package of any of the male greys we know. He's also tall and skinny, just like Orion. If I had my choice I would have waited until Fenway was 12 months old to do his neuter.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest hvacman250

OK, I will hold off to at least 12 months old, maybe more depending on his development.

Thanks for all the advice and enlightenment!

Guest trevdog

We had Dallas spayed at 6 months, it took her awhile to fill out and she's still kind of gangly at 3 years. She does agility just fine though. A friend has a female grey a month older than Dallas, she had her spayed at about 14 months so she would fill out more, she also does agility. She is not as tall as Dallas but then they aren't related either. They weigh close to the same weight.

I think if I had it to do again, I would wait, however the recovery time is a lot quicker since the parts are smaller....

i ended up neutering felix at 9 months. his hormones were raging and focus at obedience was altered since he was sooooo horny. i really wanted to wait until he was 12-18 months, but bit my tongue and did it. it made life much easier and training a breeze once the hormones settled down. he is 29.5" at the shoulders and weighs 75 lbs at 2yrs, 4months and still looks like an adolescent(which he is) but is not gangley. of course the track workouts and regime make all of the dogs as solid as a rock but we have pets. he still has a good amount of bone.

i say wait until you scream "UNCLE!"

Guest nerak254
i ended up neutering felix at 9 months. his hormones were raging and focus at obedience was altered since he was sooooo horny. i really wanted to wait until he was 12-18 months, but bit my tongue and did it. it made life much easier and training a breeze once the hormones settled down. he is 29.5" at the shoulders and weighs 75 lbs at 2yrs, 4months and still looks like an adolescent(which he is) but is not gangley. of course the track workouts and regime make all of the dogs as solid as a rock but we have pets. he still has a good amount of bone.

i say wait until you scream "UNCLE!"

Or until he finds a pillow he wants to spend his life with. :blink: It is just gross when Roscoe spends time with his love object.

Ok...I do have a picture

This was taken when he was 11 months. It hasn't gotten any bigger.

Where's a blushing smiley when you need it???? :blink:

104_2741_edited-1.jpg

I can't say that he looks ashamed of the package... :blink:

Edited by nerak254

Eh.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. If he's healthy now, I'd do it now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

At least you will have time to do any research if you want. I would wait :) I wonder if that is why Gus is so darn tall? We must find out what age he was neutered!

Gus has not been neutered yet, he's still showing. But he has LARGE dogs in his lineage as well. I'll let Cat come on and tell you more, but that part I know. EVERYTHING about Gus is large...if you know what I mean! :blink::lol

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

What Heather (KennelMom) said. No pressing urgency to have him done. I would wait until he was at least a year old, but I like 18 months better.

And I agree with you both. Greyhounds (Borzoi, other large-boned sighthounds) are slow to reach maturity. Having a friend who has raised AKG greyhounds from puppyhood and their knowledgable breeders, they prefer to wait until at least a year - longer if possible. Of course, my friend has always had her "entire" dogs in a setting where they couldn't breed (no unspayed females, and always on lead or in a safe yard). She believes that the dogs have better bone growth, muscle development and stay in better coat for showing purposes. This probably doesn't really relate to your own pup's needs, but ensuring healthy bone and muscle sure does if you plan to do lure coursing, agility or other demanding sports.

That being said, all bets are off if he turns into an obnoxious little stud puppy. :lol

PS - Apparently when Saluki are neutered, the feathered dogs grow a very thick undercoat coat. Check out beautiful Sky, owned by my friends Patty and Steve.

Before snip-snip:

After snip-snip: (kinda reminds me of Father Time....)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I'm in tears about Grandma's and Chad's comments, LOL!

We got Tosca as a 4.5 month old pup and were advised to not spay her until she was over a year old. She was spayed a couple of days after her first Birthday. She is a small girl, about 55 lb. She is a little alpha female, bosses everyone around. She is also very food aggressive. Whether waiting or not helped in any way, I don't really know!

Tosca2email-1.jpg

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest kydie

I have had all puppies that i rescue ,neutered A.S.A.P. I know there is a debate among some grey owners regarding this, but I will continue to have my dogs "fixed" A.SA.P.

Guest BasilMom
Spike was neutured at around 12 weeks and now at 16 months he is a *big* boy. Still has that gangly teenage look but he's tall.

He's bigger than the 3 littermates we have contact with.

This is him next to Abba who is on the big side (65 lbs) for a girl

madeintheshade.jpg

And this is him (left) next to one of his male littermates

spikebailey.jpg

He does have an incredibly teeny weenie :gnome I don't know if this will have any medical implications down the road but gosh....it's really really tiny.

Not that I'm in the habit of measuring such things but, um, it's really apparent.

Uhmm Holly I must say even though we've talked about size,Cole as well is a little light in the jewelry box :lol He has been very frisky around Autumn for a while now :blush I guess it's like the saying goes "It's not the size of the Army but how you maneuver the troops" :rolleyes: Cole is Spike's littermate and was neutered at around five months.

Guest nerak254

He's bigger than the 3 littermates we have contact with.

This is him next to Abba who is on the big side (65 lbs) for a girl

madeintheshade.jpg

And this is him (left) next to one of his male littermates

spikebailey.jpg

Uhmm Holly I must say even though we've talked about size,Cole as well is a little light in the jewelry box :lol He has been very frisky around Autumn for a while now :blush I guess it's like the saying goes "It's not the size of the Army but how you maneuver the troops" :rolleyes: Cole is Spike's littermate and was neutered at around five months.

:rotfl:spoot

Guest kbone

Andrew was neutered when he was 6 months. He is about 65 lbs., pretty skinny, teeny weenie, and he pees like a girl.

Jack raced and was neutered at around 2 years old. He weighs 80lbs., he is pretty hefty, well endowed, and lifts his leg and is a big time marker.

Andrew has a high pitched bark and Jacks is deep and manly.

I don't know if any of this has to do with what age they were neutered or if it's just because they are 2 different dogs with different parents :dunno