Sweet Hurry

Guest Javitale

Guest Javitale

Hi everyone. I am new to this group, having just found it. I am posting because I am sure you all will understand, and I need to write about this. We have five greyhounds, and I love them all like crazy. We have been greyhound people for many years, and I can't imagine having a different breed. I can't imagine life without these guys.

Our newest greyhound is named Hurry, short for Hurricane. We've had him about a year, and he is smart and sweet and curious. He just turned ten. Here's the part I need to talk about. He was perfectly fine, in perfect health, happy and playful. Last night around 10 he just couldn't stand, or walk, and he kept falling to one side. He could only look to one side. He seemed to be blind as well. We rushed him to the emergency pet hospital, where he was diagnosed with an apparent severe intracranial bleed or stroke. The stroke seemed to evolve as we were there, and soon he no longer could move his back legs.

We had to make a tough decision and put our poor Hurry to sleep. I can't believe it. I guess I'm just posting this for moral support. Our four remaining greyhounds are perfectly healthy and happy, and thank goodness for that.

I'm just glad we could give him one good year. The adoption center said that he had lived in a crate for four years before we adopted him. After a while I think we'll adopt another... That way at least something good will come out of this... we can save another grey. People think we're nuts for having five... but they have brought so much happiness to our home.

Thanks for listening all... and thank goodness for our sweet greyhound friends... Joyce

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CDNgreys

I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your beloved, Hurry.

I'm glad to hear that he had a very loving family for that year.

I'm sorry you had to join GT under these sad circumstances.

:f_red

Guest Capslock

Gah, that's awful! But it's part of having dogs. I've been there - one day everything is great, and the next day there's a huge void in the house. I don't know if that's worse or if it's worse to know it's coming for weeks. Either way it's a punch to the gut. But the reason it's so bad to lose them is because they are so wonderful. I'm glad you're thinking of adopting another. When my to bridge dogs died I immediately adopted new greyhounds and never regretted it for an instant. They never replace your old ones, but like you say, it's an opportunity to save another dog. Best of luck to you, and keep talking and thinking and loving your dogs! They are lucky to have you.

Guest junebug

Thanks you for giving your sweet Hurry a wonderful home and for taking care of him at such a hard time. Welcome to the support you will receive here. My thoughts are with you.

:grouphug

Guest junebug

Thanks you for giving your sweet Hurry a wonderful home and for taking care of him at such a hard time. Welcome to the support you will receive here. My thoughts are with you.

sorry-don't know why that kept repeating!

Guest Energy11

We are VERY sorry for your loss. We had Dasher only 8 months, before we had to send him to The Bridge. He had an internal bleed, and went into shock. His previous owner wanted to put him down, becasue he had "doggie Alzheimers." and woudl not stay off her new furnutire. I, like you, feel we gave him some GREAT time with us and the others! We KNOW how this feels!

You did the right thing!

Love and hugs! Dee and The McKimmey Five Hounds :f_red:f_pinkf_yellow:gh_run2:angelwings

Guest MyBoys

Joyce,

I am so very sorry about your sweet boy, I understand that terrible feeling when you have to let one of your fur babies go, I have lost seven over the years and that sad, empty feeling is always the same. Hurry had no conception of time so the wonderful year you gave him was his lifetime and he loved you for that. Thank you for giving that sweet senior boy the best year of his life.

Guest bigbrindlebunny

While he was with you, Hurry loved, and was loved in return. It just doesn't get any better than that. I'm so glad you were there for him.

:paw

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost 2 girls exactly the same way, it's a horrible feeling of helplessness. His one year with you must have seemed like a lifetime of happiness for him. :angelwings

I'm so sorry to hear about Hurry. What a shock to have to make such a quick decision. Our condolences on his loss. Run free, Hurry.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

For those people that think you're crazy, they obviously have never had the blessing of a greyhound in their life. Dont worry about the negative comments. You are doing a wonderful thing and you already know how much love you are given in return. May your sorrow be short lived, yet your loving memories long.

Chad

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your precious boy, especially so suddenly. That makes the grief doubly hard as you try to adjust to his absence. Bless you for adopting a senior and giving him what was undoubtedly the best year of his life.

And no one here will think you are crazy for having 5 Greys. We tend to think it's more unusual to have just one. Or even worse, none at all!

I haven't seen if you've posted in remembrance yet, but if you haven't, we would love to hear more about him. Yes, and pics.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytgrandma

so sorry for your sudden loss.Your sweet Hurry knew how much he was loved.All of the greyhounds are so precious. Hugs to you and the rest of your pack.

f_yellow:grouphug :grouphug

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hurry was fortunate your family came along & gave him the home he deserved. I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer. Godspeed Hurry! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis