Rascal Update

Rascal got home last night around 5:00. They had loaded her up pretty good on pain meds, so she was pretty groggy and still stressed. We finally gave her a couple of tramadols around 10:00, and she laid down after awhile. She had a pretty good night, better than I expected.

This morning the anesthesia seems to be out of her system, and she did eat some chicken breast I cooked for her. Then we were able to get her amoxicillin and her tramadol into her. They gave her chewable Deramaxx, and she won't touch it. Big surprise there, for Miss Picky. I'm so glad we spent $20 for it. She has been resting pretty comfortably today. She wasn't able to do her "morning stretches", poor thing, you could tell she wanted to.

Her incision is probably 5-6" long, and she's got the obligatory drain (which will come out on Monday).

The vet said there were a few nodules, but mostly a bunch of "tendrils", and it was hard for her to tell what was good and what was bad. :( She said the biopsy could take up to a week to get back, maybe sooner.

Later on we are going to change her t-shirt and check out the incision, to be sure it's looking OK.

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers. 2009 has been pretty terrible for me.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Hey, Melissa, I was just looking for an update! I'm glad she's as comfortable as can be expected. Just thinking about your sweet girl in any kind of pain makes my heart hurt.

Waiting is just the pits. On the other hand, it gives all of us more time to send out lots of healing light, get well thoughts, and prayers---for her and for you!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

My heart goes out to you and your family for what you have been through this year. I am sending prayers for Rascal

and hugs to you. It sounds like she had a good night, considering.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Sending more prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending lots of prayers Rascal's and your way!

BTW, we've been going through the chewable pain meds thing with Cosmo, first with Rimadyl and now Previcox. I don't even bother seeing if Cosmo will chew them. I just bury them in mushed up cheese and down the gullet they go. If Rascal doesn't like that idea, try cheap liverwurst. That never fails here either. Good luck.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sending lots of prayers Rascal's and your way!

BTW, we've been going through the chewable pain meds thing with Cosmo, first with Rimadyl and now Previcox. I don't even bother seeing if Cosmo will chew them. I just bury them in mushed up cheese and down the gullet they go. If Rascal doesn't like that idea, try cheap liverwurst. That never fails here either. Good luck.

Rascal is not a good enough eater to try hiding her pills. I know that from experience. I even went through it with Buddy (who was typically a good eater), when he was sick, and determined that I would NOT mess with their food, since that only leads to them not wanting to eat AT ALL.

Rascal has lost some weight already...from her normal 58 down to 53.4....so I really need her to keep eating.

One question. They said to give her 1 or 2 tramadol (50 mg each) every 8 hours. I've given her two last night, and two this morning. She seems really zonked out, maybe I should try just one? I don't want her to be too tired to eat....

Oh, and the incision is more like 7-8" long. We changed her t shirt today, and got a look at the whole thing.... :eek

Many many prayers coming from here. I felt the same way about hiding pills in food, the last thing I wanted was for Misty to get wise.

Ice cream worked here for a long time, it just seems to slide right down, pill and all

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

A few years ago, someone posted about sticking a maxi-pad on the t-shirt where it hits the incision. Sounds like a great idea for seepage and a little "padding". Prayers for Rascal.

Yes, I've done that many times (except I use mini-pads :rolleyes: ). We've got a supply of "dog t-shirts", so I don't care if they get stained. She's getting a clean one at least once every day. :)