Best Method Of Euthanasia

Guest EmilyAnne

My vet came to my house too. And it was a two step procedure with the sedative first. It was gentle. There was no rush and the bill came in the mail later. All of it was prearraranged. That made it all so much much less awful at the time. I'm sorry it's something you need to expore.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest EmbersDad
We always do the two step process - the first shot to relax them. It gives us just a little bit more time alone to say goodbye while it kicks in.

One thing you may want to take care of ahead of time is to ask your vet how they do payment and associated paperwork. Some want you to pay at the time services are rendered, some will bill you for a euthanasia. The last thing I want to be doing after saying goodbye is paying the vet. There is also usually paperwork you need to fillout stating what you want done with the body (cremated, returned to you or not...some vets give you urn options). Suffice to say, I prefer to have as much done beforehand as possible.

I'm sorry :(

ember had the double shot. the first one relaxed her and the tech placed her in my lap for the final moment. my vet was willing to let me walk and settle later, but i was able to autopilot my way thru it while the staff cried and hugged me. they are the best!

It's such a terrible topic but the whole death of a pet thing really does need to be discussed in advance so that, as others have said, plans can be made and requests noted well before the actual day it's needed.

On my pets notes at the vets, it is noted that I want a private cremation and ashes returned in a wooden casket. It's vital that my vets are aware of this in case ( a ) something happens when my pets are being looked after by someone else - if I am on holiday for example and ( b ) in case I am unable to voice my requirements at the time. I would hate for my pets to be....dealt with...in a different way but for it to be too late for my personal wishes to be met.

So although it's terrible to think about, it is well worth having your requirements noted by your vet, well in advance.

I have had the vet come out to our car for Stanley, Jessie and Sally. It was a single shot. Jessie had been given a sedative at home beforehand (planned a few weeks before and I had the medication stored for the day we needed to make That Call).

The others have been inside the vets and again, a single shot.

It's terrible. But its what we must endure.

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Energy11
When I had to put Kenny down that vet didn't charge anything. He said their feeling is that it the least they can do for their clients. I thought that was pretty stand up.

Our vet doesn't charge for euthanasia...they only charge what the crematory charges for the cremation and/or return of the ashes.

That is truly amazing! NICE VET!

We went to the vet today, and I had a heckuva time not getting choked up and was so determined not to cry, that I ended up not asking the euthanasia questions what I wanted to ask, as far as housecalls, billing, etc. I will have my husband call her and ask her on the phone for me.

Does your vet have an online presence, where you can email questions to the office? It might be easier--less emotionally charged--for you and your husband to type out your questions and then email them to the vets office. Then you can privately read the reply, decide how you want to handle things, etc. And if there are things where you need to make choices (cremation, return of ashes, etc.), you can put your wishes in writing, email them back to the vet, print a copy for yourself, and take that printout to the vets when you have to go there. Then there's no issue of trying to remember everything, or being surprised by something the vet wants to do.

Thinking of you...

A lot of vets do have emails which they monitor and answer. My former and present vet do... good idea to email them, if you feel you cannot discuss this ...

My Vet gave Nevada an IV sedative first. She was completely asleep when she received the final injection. A very peaceful process for us both.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest vahoundlover

Our vet always does the two step process. When I called about Buster they took down all the info and told us not to worry about paying at the time of. With Boss, I knew he was leaving us and we didn't know what to do, he wasnt under any stress or in any pain, he was just tired. :( He slipped away on his own under his terms. DH called our vet when I realized what was happening and she came right over and sat with us as he took his last breath. I wish all of our babies could go this way. :cry1

I am so sorry :bighug

Guest Scouts_mom

Only one thing I would like to add. My first cat, Margarita, died at the emergency vet. I was strapped for cash at the time and shocked at how much the ER was costing so when they asked about cremation, I went with the cheapest option and chose group cremation/not getting her ashes back. I have regretted that decision ever since. The ashes of all my other animals have been placed in their favorite spots in the yard and I think about each of them when I am working in the yard. I really wish Marg had her corner. I should have gone ahead and gotten her ashes, no matter how much further in debt it but me. It wasn't something I should have skimped on.

Guest EmilyAnne
Only one thing I would like to add. My first cat, Margarita, died at the emergency vet. I was strapped for cash at the time and shocked at how much the ER was costing so when they asked about cremation, I went with the cheapest option and chose group cremation/not getting her ashes back. I have regretted that decision ever since. The ashes of all my other animals have been placed in their favorite spots in the yard and I think about each of them when I am working in the yard. I really wish Marg had her corner. I should have gone ahead and gotten her ashes, no matter how much further in debt it but me. It wasn't something I should have skimped on.

I know all too well what it is like to struggle with money, and ER vets can be quite $$$ and want money on the spot! When my husband was working for 911, a man called 911 because his dog was dying and he could not get the emergency vet to treat his dog because he was unable to pay up front. His dog died on his own in the parking lot of the emergency vet. :( I am so glad my current vet almost always answers her phone and opens her office after hours. She did this when Henry was having a cluster of Grand-Mal seizures that was not stopping. She also lets us give her post dated checks, which really helps us out.

My husband was living in an apt. when his first chihuahua was put to sleep. This was before we were even dating. He did not have a backyard to bury her in, and did not think of cremation. By the time his other chihuahua died, we had a house with a yard, and we buried her in our yard. My husband was very sad at first that his other chihuahua was not included in this burial. So when we had the stone made up, we included the names of both chihuahuas. He then felt much better. You do not need the ashes or the body to create a memorial. :bighug

Guest FullMetalFrank

When my kitty passed, he was given a sedative first then the other injection... I believe he actually passed before he got the second shot; poor old boy was so very tired. With Iberia he was already sedated and had an IV in, and he was already drifting in and out as he was just clinging to life. They gave the shot into his IV. He just sighed and went to sleep. This is a very hard thread....

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest SusanP

:grouphug

We had the two-step procedure for my Simon a couple of years ago. She became slightly agitated from the sedative before passing out, which I found distressing, though otherwise it went smoothly.

I've asked the vet if there is another sedative they can use for the rest of my hounds in the future, because the sedative they use for surgery (I think she said this is the same one?) always makes them anxious and agitated. She said there is something else they can use, though it is more expensive. Trouble is, I didn't write down the names of the drugs, and now my vet has left the practice. I keep meaning to ask the other vets so I can keep it straight when the time comes.

Edited by SusanP

When I had to put Kenny down that vet didn't charge anything. He said their feeling is that it the least they can do for their clients. I thought that was pretty stand up.

Our vet doesn't charge for euthanasia...they only charge what the crematory charges for the cremation and/or return of the ashes.

Mine doesn't either.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Mine doesn't either.

Our vet does not charge an office call or euthanasia fee for this final visit for their regular clients, just charges for the cremation (which of course goes to the crematorium).

Our vet does the single shot euthanasia - although when we had to put our Afghan hound, Max, to sleep years ago at age 14 .... it took two injections of the euthanasia drug to have him pass away. The first shot did not do the trick, he went to sleep but would not pass, so it took a second dose a couple minutes later to complete the process.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

That is very nice. One other thing about our vet...about 3 weeks after Comet died we received a card from the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. I thought it was strange because our vet is in private practice, not at the vet school. I opened the card up and it was a note advising that our vet had made a donation, in Comet's memory, to the UF College of Vet Med, which is here in Gainesville, where we live. I thought that was an incredibly beautiful gesture.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest tammymacb

When Shuggie was put to sleep, my vet also did two injections. ( She had an IV in place )

Something happened that I didn't expect. First of all, she was really sick. One of the reasons I knew it was time was because I didn't recognize the beautiful girl I sat with as Shug. She was distant, quiet, didn't make eye contact. I'd never seen this girl before. Well, after the first injection, she was Shuggie again. Her eyes lit up, she was looking around and sniffing like crazy. It was probably only a minute before she fell asleep, but that minute was haunting to me. My girl was back and I was putting her to sleep. I know I did the right thing. But, for a brief second, I had doubt...could she get better?

Of course she couldn't have. But the reaction was completely unexpected and I wish I'd known it was a possibility.

Thinking about it still makes me cry.

:(

Cody wasn't sedated first & she fought the shot - it was horrible!! Go with pre-sedation if you can, and yes, talk to the vet before about what you want done...

I'm sorry...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest hllb
When Shuggie was put to sleep, my vet also did two injections. ( She had an IV in place )

Something happened that I didn't expect. First of all, she was really sick. One of the reasons I knew it was time was because I didn't recognize the beautiful girl I sat with as Shug. She was distant, quiet, didn't make eye contact. I'd never seen this girl before. Well, after the first injection, she was Shuggie again. Her eyes lit up, she was looking around and sniffing like crazy. It was probably only a minute before she fell asleep, but that minute was haunting to me. My girl was back and I was putting her to sleep. I know I did the right thing. But, for a brief second, I had doubt...could she get better?

Of course she couldn't have. But the reaction was completely unexpected and I wish I'd known it was a possibility.

Don't feel bad! Your vet should have explained it to you! The shot not only will take away their pain, but will give them a euphoric feeling. That's why she seemed like your old girl. My vet did an awesome job of preparing me for the stages the animals go through in that short 60 to 90 seconds.

Guest MnMDogs

I completely understand. Matty was just not Matty on her last day, which is why we scheduled the euthanasia. Well, the vet came to our home after 8 pm that night, and when she heard the door, she hopped up and hobbled to the door wagging her tail. I immediately regretted our decision. But now I like to think that even though she had a horrible horrible day, her last moments were happy. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it does bring me some comfort.

It just sucks, though :(

Guest goodtimekid

When we had to make that decision in January our vet came to the house. Seminole never had to leave his bed. The vet gave a 2 step injection through a iv type apparatus. The first part made him sleep and the second happened so quickly. They gave me the price breakdown and I was able to have the check ready and the decisions made for his cremation.

I'm so sorry that you are having to face this now. You and Riley are in our prayers..

Always 2 shots.. sedative followed by the release.

I've heard from several friends who only had the second shot and their experiences were traumatic at best. I wouldn't want any of my pets to go out of this world screaming. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest kydie

I am so sorry abou your best friend, as I have had to do this many times, in the past, I have never had an issue with the one injection method, my vet, God bless him, has always come out to our SUV and put them down in the back as I held them, not in the office, unlike others here on this link, I can not go through a long good bye., I know when we leave what the plan is, and the quicker the better, white light to your friend

Edited by kydie