Best Method Of Euthanasia

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

The dreaded topic-euthanasia. :sad1 No today is not likely the day, but, I need to be ready. In previous threads, some of you discussed which way was the best way of euthanasia, and one mentioned was a two step process. I just want to know which way has worked best for others, so I can request that way for Riley when his time comes. He hates needles, and cried loudly when he gets poked. I dont want his last moment to be like that.

I can't remember if my vet gives one or two injections - to relax the dog and then let them go.

Perhaps your vet could give you valium for Riley to be administered before leaving home.

I'm sorry your family is going through this. You tried to give Riley a chance. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I can't remember if my vet gives one or two injections - to relax the dog and then let them go.

That is what my vet did when we had to help Comet to the Rainbow Bridge last summer. Comet was so weak when we brought him in that there was barely a perceptible difference between injection one and injection two.

I am so sorry you are having to do this. I know how hard it is to do this, even when you absolutely know there is no hope and that you are doing the right thing.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

The only time I requested a sedative first was with Misty because she was so afraid at the vets and I did not want her last minutes to be with her being afraid.

While she was sedated, I was able to hold her and talk to her for awhile before the lethal injection was administered.

You're in my thoughts

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

We always do the two step process - the first shot to relax them. It gives us just a little bit more time alone to say goodbye while it kicks in.

One thing you may want to take care of ahead of time is to ask your vet how they do payment and associated paperwork. Some want you to pay at the time services are rendered, some will bill you for a euthanasia. The last thing I want to be doing after saying goodbye is paying the vet. There is also usually paperwork you need to fillout stating what you want done with the body (cremated, returned to you or not...some vets give you urn options). Suffice to say, I prefer to have as much done beforehand as possible.

I'm sorry :(

Guest PiagetsMom

With my last girl, she was given an injection to relax her first and then one to let her go. However, based on her and the vets responses, I think I lost her while I was holding her after the first injection.

Prior to the first injection it was stressful for her, and if I had to do over, I think I would have asked for something to give her before the appointment.

One thing you may want to take care of ahead of time is to ask your vet how they do payment and associated paperwork. Some want you to pay at the time services are rendered, some will bill you for a euthanasia. The last thing I want to be doing after saying goodbye is paying the vet. There is also usually paperwork you need to fillout stating what you want done with the body (cremated, returned to you or not...some vets give you urn options). Suffice to say, I prefer to have as much done beforehand as possible.

Very good advice.....I remember standing in the front office, trying to take care of all of this afterwards and crying horribly. I was truly afraid that I would scare any children who were there.

:grouphug to you and Riley.

Edited by PiagetsMom

We always do the two step process - the first shot to relax them. It gives us just a little bit more time alone to say goodbye while it kicks in.

That is an excellent point. After Comet died, my whole family was crying in the waiting room and I went to grab my purse to pay as we walked by the receptionist's desk, and they said not to worry, they'd send me a bill in the mail. And we went through what my wishes were re cremation etc when I called them a couple of days before to make the dreaded appointment.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so sorry that you are having to think about this.

You might want to call your vet ahead of time and discuss logistics with them. Some vets will come out to your car and do it there. That way their last moments are in a less stressful environment.

I had a friend who recently gave her hound some ace before leaving home for the trip to the vet.

If you want the cremains returned to you, then be sure to specify that to your vet beforehand.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

That is an excellent point. After Comet died, my whole family was crying in the waiting room and I went to grab my purse to pay as we walked by the receptionist's desk, and they said not to worry, they'd send me a bill in the mail. And we went through what my wishes were re cremation etc when I called them a couple of days before to make the dreaded appointment.

Ditto, excellent point. I paid before hand because I knew I would be in no shape afterward. All I wanted to do was get out of there and be able to break down without an audience

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Emily, my heart goes out to you. We have all been thru this and it is such an emotional time. Our vet also administers a sedative before hand and gives us plenty of time to prepare for the second shot. If you feel Riley could benefit from a pill, I'm sure they would give you a sedative in pill form to use when it becomes necessary.

Good suggestions about making arrangements before hand. You will be very upset and why put yourself thru the checkout procedure after saying your goodbyes. It is also hard to think clearly at this moment so best to get everything worked out ahead of time.

Hugs to you and a big kiss for beautiful Riley.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

This thread is breaking my heart.

Our vet gives the injections in a two step process. Brandy walked into the room and laid down on the mat as she knew exactly why she was there. She was literally gone with the first injection. John E was standing when we brought him into the room. With the first injection, he folded like a balloon that had the air removed. He just flattened out. Both of my greys was ready to leave.

I did not pay anything at the time. They asked if we wanted a private cremation and did we want the creamains. I paid when we picked up their ashes.

I am sorry that you are going through this. I understand how sad you are.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Dr. Beau, my former employer, vet, and friend, always presedates. It is a regular shot, then, he leaves the room, so people can spend some time with their loved ones.

ME? When Curfew's time comes, ... I have a LUMP in throat, just typing this ... I want Dr. Karen or whatever Doc is on call at the time, so COME HERE if possible. I would personally pre-sedate him (*I have liquid Valium I can give rectally) ... he and I would be in the back bedroom, away from the rest of the pack. I HOPE this is how it will go.

All my others were pre-sedated at the vets, then, we spent time, then he sent them over ...

Maybe you can ask your vet for some Oral Valium for Riley, so he is sedated before even having to go? That would be my call ... or, maybe YOUR vet would come to you?

Dr. Beau NEVER asked people to stop by the front desk and pay, etc. ...he just billed them. I love that man!

Keep us posted, and you are in our thoughts always! Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, Cari, and Bold Energy, Dasher and Max, at The Bridge. :grouphug:bighug:brokenheart:hope

I gave Isabella a sedative (I think it was Ace) about 45 minutes before the Vet arrived. It was much easier for me that she was half asleep when the shots came. The Vet gave her a shot first to to make her sleep, and then the second shot to euthanize her. I couldn't stand to watch her face while it happened so I just cuddled up behind her and stroked her head and ears and talked to her until she was gone. It was hard enough that way - I can't imagine it without her being sedated.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest greyscot

First of all I'm sorry you are going through this. I've had the two-step process and I found this really hard. Although the animal seems physically relaxed I could never help but wonder if they were still aware. I've lost 4 animals in 4 years and two were put to sleep this way. Chief, my greyhound, was in the vet hospital and he had a catheter in his leg so they simply injected the drug through the catheter. It was instant and I have to admit I was shocked how fast he died. We had loads of time with him before hand so I never felt bad about the quickness of the one step injection. Shirley, my heart dog, was absolutely mentally alert but her body simply gave out. I opted for the catheter way as I was sure she would be stressed even while sedated as she was still so mentally 'alive'. Again I spent loads of time with her beforehand and again it was instant when the drug was administered. Both ways are terribly hard and I really think it depends on the animal - you know your dog better than any vet or any other person.

I really feel your pain. Hugs to you and your sweet dog.

Guest PhillyPups

I so hate thinking of this. I am sad to say I have way too much experience for my liking. My vets do the 2 step process, they know I will want the cremains.

Stepper walked into the vets and collapsed, his back end gave out, and I folded with him. They give me as much time before and after as I need.

Our vet does a 2 step process too. We had the vet come to the house, I made all the arrangements in advance. LaTanya, our Akita Lab mix was unable to get in the car anymore, and was in so much pain. We had her on her blanket in the living room, had fed her a McDonalds hamburger, and she was quiet. The first shot was the relaxer, and then the second, she was gone very soon. We held her and petted her, and then she was gone. The vet hugged us both, then quietly left. We wanted to bury LaTanya in the back yard.

I am so sorry for you at this time, it is so damn hard to say goodbye.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My vet also does the sedative before euthanasia. I am sorry you are preparing to face this, and most of us here know how tough that is. I had to say goodbye to Hayley in January and now Merlin’s time will be sooner than later as his tumor has grown 5 times the size it was in March.

My vet practice is wonderful and certainly cater to the needs of the pet and their owners. They wouldn’t even consider letting me do any billing paperwork and said it was fine to come back the following week.

Lots of hugs

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Guest EmilyAnne

Thank you so much everyone for replies. I know it hurts so much to talk about. :brokenheart:grouphug

Our old vet made house calls for euthanasia. and that was how we said bye to Alfalfa, at home, in my arms. I may call my old vet when it is time if the newer vet doesnt do house calls. Our old vet did not expect us to pay until it was time to pick up ashes.

We went to the vet today, and I had a heckuva time not getting choked up and was so determined not to cry, that I ended up not asking the euthanasia questions what I wanted to ask, as far as housecalls, billing, etc. I will have my husband call her and ask her on the phone for me. I just discussed with her how Riley is doing *today*, and she told me a few signs to watch for to know when it is time. I will update about that in Riley's other thread titled 'Wounded Mast Cell Tumor".

All my pets that have already passed on, besides my husbands chihuahua who is buried in our yard, I have had them all privately cremated, and I have urns for each one, with engraved plaques and a picture on front. It's when they come back home, and I can place their urn among the others, that there is one more huge surge of pain, and then, I slowly learn how to continue my life without their physical presence. But I never ever stop missing their physical presence.

:gh_child

When Rex went to the bridge they put in an IV. I had never seen it done before, but it certainly made things less stressful. Instead of being poked at the end the sedative and the other shot just went into the line.

When I had to put Kenny down that vet didn't charge anything. He said their feeling is that it the least they can do for their clients. I thought that was pretty stand up.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My vet came to my house to let Sydney Sue go. I had taken her to his office earlier that day, and he said it was time, so we did the paperwork and payment then as well as arrangements for the individual cremation (the vet takes care of the details), and then Sydney Sue and I went home. When the vet came to my house, it was like she knew - she went and laid on her bed. He gave her the first injection of an anesthesia, and she flinched a bit, like it stung, but then she relaxed. I was holding her and kissing her and talking to her. She was not aware of the second injection, she just sighed, once, twice, then she was gone. I wouldn't have done it any other way, it was beautiful letting her go in her own home, in her own bed, although it was the hardest thing I have ever done and I cried like there was no tomorrow.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest KennelMom
When I had to put Kenny down that vet didn't charge anything. He said their feeling is that it the least they can do for their clients. I thought that was pretty stand up.

Our vet doesn't charge for euthanasia...they only charge what the crematory charges for the cremation and/or return of the ashes.

Guest hllb

My vet first put in an IV so the acutal injection would just be an IV push. Then he put in a catheter so I could continue to hold him after he passed without urine all over. It was amazingly peaceful.

sorry you have to go through it.

We went to the vet today, and I had a heckuva time not getting choked up and was so determined not to cry, that I ended up not asking the euthanasia questions what I wanted to ask, as far as housecalls, billing, etc. I will have my husband call her and ask her on the phone for me.

Does your vet have an online presence, where you can email questions to the office? It might be easier--less emotionally charged--for you and your husband to type out your questions and then email them to the vets office. Then you can privately read the reply, decide how you want to handle things, etc. And if there are things where you need to make choices (cremation, return of ashes, etc.), you can put your wishes in writing, email them back to the vet, print a copy for yourself, and take that printout to the vets when you have to go there. Then there's no issue of trying to remember everything, or being surprised by something the vet wants to do.

Thinking of you...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)