Lincoln Update - He Is Home & He Is Bionic

I picked up Lincoln Friday afternoon. The doctor was quite happy with himself. He came into to show me the xrays & he said "Now we know how to do this on a Greyhound." The surgery could not have gone better.

When they finally brought him out I couldn't believe his incision. It is only about 5" long & not even bruised.

He came home with a bag of drugs, but will be off of all of those this week. I also got a 4 page instruction sheet on what to do & what to look out for.

For the first 30 days he can have 3-5 potty breaks a day, but that's it. He must be xpenned all the time. He will walk with a sling to keep him steady, so he doesn't injure the hip. (That takes some getting use to for the humans involved.) His surgery was the cement-less type & in the first 30 days the bone will start to grown in/around the implant holding it in place. It is essential that he not get bumped or fall, so he has be kept seperate from all the other dogs. They hate that as much as he does. My foster girl was laying outside his pen last night - they are pals.

At the end of 30 days we add 3-10min walks a day. At 60 days they increase to 3-20min walks. At 90 days he goes back ot OSU for followup xrays. If everything looks good - he will have no further restrictions & can resume his normal activity.

Its only 84 more days, but whose counting!

For the next couple of days he will still be getting his pain meds 3x a day. Those do help to make him sleep. However, he is already bored stiff! He has been getting filled Kongs (but I don't want to give him too many since he can't exercise) and some bones to chew. I also bought him some new toys, but Lincoln doesn't play well by himself - he likes to play with the other dogs.

So - any suggestion on what I can do to occupy his time while he recooperates? He doesn't watch TV & sadly has not learned to read. He is 13mos old & full of energy that can no longer be expelled in the traditional manner.

I have taken some photos, but for some reason I couldn't get them to upload. It kept saying they were too big even though I reduced them. I will try again tonight.

If everything goes on schedule he should make his Bionic debut at the Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass. His 12 week schedule ends 3 days before the Festival begins.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

It's so good to hear that the surgery was so successful. I have never had to confine a dog so I'm no help there, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here from those with experience.

We've got Lincoln tucked in our prayers and prayers for you too, I'm sure this is going to take a lot of patience.

Thank you for the update

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

There are some interactive/"boredom buster" toys here, but they are a bit pricey. You may be able to maybe make your own using these ideas, though. Good luck.

Did Dr. Dyce do the surgery?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh, so glad Lincoln is home! At 13 months old, you have your work cut out for you, but you can do it! We will be here for support - just holler! Will be praying for you and Lincoln.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest trevdog

I'm glad he's home and recovering well! Tips for puppies to keep them subdued.....some interactive toys, chews, and drugs......it's really tough to keep them quiet at that age! I was lucky we had about a weeks worth of meds to make Dallas sleepy when she had her emer sugery for the obstruction at about 14 months. And she didn't feel well for about 6 weeks so she kept herself subdued.

What did the docs say to do?

Did Dr. Dyce do the surgery?

Yes - Dr. Couto set everything up, but Dyce was his surgeon.

Jennifer Watkins

Other than what's been said, no advice, here, but plenty of sympathy! That's a tall order.

How great that his surgery went so well!! We'd love to see pics, of course. Can you upload them to Photobucket, and link to those? It's free, and they do make it pretty simple. Good luck!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

OK - now I need help with uploading photos.

I have them in photobucket - sized to 320x240. I copied the IMG link & pasted it on a new message & hit UPLOAD. It looks like GT is loading the photo, but after about 10 mins it is still downloading. I know that is not right as I have uploaded photos before - but not from photobucket.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Jennifer Watkins

How about some training? Since he's not allowed to move much, maybe you could train tricks: shake a paw, shake the other paw, hold a cookie on your nose until you're allowed to eat it....whatever you can think of (or find online or in a dog tricks book) that will make him think.

A trainer who lives with her 3 border collies and her daughter's 2 JRTs (all competitors in canine sports) told me that mental exercise is far more exhausting than physical activity.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Re photobucket: When you view a pic in photobucket, there should be a "Share this image" box; on my screen, it's on the righthand side of the screen. In that box, there's an IMG code box; just copy the contents of that box and paste it into your entry; don't put it in the upload box on GT. For example (in the line below, xxx = IMG):

[xxx]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/rzbhound/42_zperfume.jpg[/xxx]

Re keeping your pup busy: Get him some pop-up kleenex boxes. No, really. You should be able to find some nasty cheap kleenex at the dollar store, and a dog never had so much fun as pulling them out one by one. You'll ruin him around kleenex boxes for life, but who cares?

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lets try this...

Lincoln on his 1st birthday in March.

Lincoln1stBirthday32109088-1.jpg

His incision on the day I brought him home - no bruises.

Incision.jpg

My sister in the pen with Lincoln.

SusanLincoln.jpg

Edited by ripley488

Jennifer Watkins

WOW! He looks wonderful! How about stuffing the Kongs with low calorie treats like greenbeans & other veggies or frozen yogurt? I use to play a game with Nevada called "Mr Hand." I'd hide my hand inside a bed sheet & she loved to try and find & bite on "Mr Hand". It's a game you can play with no running involved.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Lincoln with his sling. He has to use this for support until he is released. It is ackward & you have to get used to handling the lead in one hand & the sling in the other.

LincolnsHipReplacement008.jpg

A rear view

LincolnsHipReplacement013.jpg

Lincoln!

LincolnsHipReplacement015.jpg

Roaching in his xpen last night

LincolnsHipReplacement016.jpg

Jennifer Watkins

Jennifer he looks greyt!! How about clicker training while he's in his pen? Or one of the balls you put kibble in and he has to work to get the food out? Bully sticks to chew on?

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm so glad he came thru surgery so well!

Lincoln, stay calm and still for a bit longer and then you can run all you want, k? :kiss2

Lincoln got his last dose of pain meds last night.

He woke up at 5am today! Oh my.

So I got up & took him for a potty break. That is not what he wanted - he wanted to play. Sorry buddy - you can't right now.

Being 13mos old his attention span is very short. The best toy so far - plastic water bottles. I know - not environmentally friendly, but we are talking my sanity here. It is the only toy he will pickup for more than a few minutes. I think he loves the noise it makes as much as anything.

I am going to the pet supply store today at lunch to check out some interactive toys.

Another few days of Cephalexin & he will be off meds. They warned me with his other joint issues he may still need something like Deramaxx, but we will go drug free to see how he does.

He figured out yesterday that his "special treats" were hiding his pills, so he started spitting them out. He will take them however if my sister (his dog nanny) gives them to him. What a punk!

Jennifer Watkins

Guest trevdog

Get some cow hooves.....they stink but he may chew on them for awhile to occupy his attention for more than a few seconds....

Guest KateWantsaGrey

I was going to mention the plastic water bottles lol! For all the money we spent on treat puzzle toys, the water bottle is Pace's favorite. Another toy you might want to look into is the "everlasting treat ball" it's a puzzle toy plus a chunk of treat they they have to gnaw on for hours to eat. Pace goes into a trans when he gets this toy and he will lick and chew at it for hours.

So happy he is doing so well. Water bottle, kong stuffed and I'm sure you will come up with plenty of ideas!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project