Needing Advice On A Diagnosis. :(

hi, i'll try to make this brief. our 13yr old, Abby, has sort of advanced mast cell cancer, internally. on the way to the vet today, she coughed up blood in the car. the oncologist (we like her a lot) did an ultrasound, revealing a big mass in the liver, and little spots on the lungs (blood clots?). anyway, she gently warned us that this would probably lead to coughing up lots more blood, and possibly a traumatic event that would cause our last time with Abby to be very unpleasant and terrible for her, and us. however, this could happen in a day, a week, a month...who knows. The diagnosis was DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation). needless to say, i haven't stopped crying since we got home. Right now, though, Abby seems good, eating well, happy, and will still run around and play. What do we do? We certainly don't want her life to end in a traumatic, bloody event. And what if we're at work or something? yikes. She has had a GREAT life, and i only want to be of service to her.

Has anyone else had experience with this condition, or a similar situation? it's really hard.

thanks, tracy, ellen, and abby

http://www.petnutrisystems.com/pet_spotlight.html

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest Energy11

Yes, IT IS HARD, but as you said, you don't want her "bleeding out" when you are not home.

You need to take a day or two to "digest" this, and then, you will know the right thing to do. That is what I would do ... nothing immediate, ... but you do need to consider what is best. As many of the people on GT have said, a day sooner, is better than a day too late. D

oh, how scary :grouphug I have no experience with DIC, but my thoughts are always 'better a day too early than a day too late' :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest BradyzMommy

Our youngest grey had DIC after experiencing heat stroke. We were told that she probably wouldnt even make it through that first night and that it was going to be touch-and-go for a while. She was bruised from head to toe and looked completely miserable. But because she was so young (only 2 years old), we were advised to give her body time to heal. She spent her days at our vet and her nights at the e-vet for a week before we were given the green light to bring her home.

It seems that you are dealing with a much older dog whose body cannot necessarily bounce back from something as deadly as DIC. You obviously love her very much and don't want her to suffer. And as Michelle has already stated, "'better a day too early than a day too late".

I know this is a horribly painful decision to make, but it sounds like you love her greatly and will ultimately do what is best for her.

:grouphug for both of you

Edited by BradyzMommy

It is hard. That is too true. Sending you lots of thoughts and prayers.

You know your girl best, if a second opinion will help you to make this decision, then by all means see another doctor. If you trust your vets opinion, work with her to make the best choice for your girl. Know that we will all be here to support you.

Guest EmilyAnne

I just want to extend my sympathy to you, and let you know GT is a very supportive forum, and we are all here for you during this difficult time.

:grouphug

Oh Tracy, I'm so sorry. Abby will let you know when she's had enough and your oncologist is correct that she could have an event when you're not there or in the middle of the night. I was warned about that with my momma dog, Wanda and decided to let her go. She had given the cancer a good fight and I didn't want her fighting it anymore. She was my heart dog and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to you, Ellen and Abby

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest Greensleeves

Oh, golly. What an awful situation. I have several thoughts, and they're all sort of a soupy mess, but I'll just go ahead.

Whistler (nearly 13) died from a tumor that bled out (only internally). We didn't even realize he was sick until the trauma that caused the bleed, and while it was agonizing for us, it truly wasn't as horrible as I know it could have been. He went into shock straightaway, and spent two days in intensive care on IVs and blood transfusions, but they were never able to control the bleeding, so we had to let him go. The circumstances of how the tumor ruptured were so awful for us emotionally that I cannot ever bring myself to say what happened; just that there was a collision with another family member. But as hard as that was, it happened early in the morning when my DH was home (he was getting ready to go on a business trip), not when Whistler was here alone, or if he fell down the deck steps (which, b/c of the cancer, were becoming so hard for him), or something even worse. As bad as it was, I'm grateful it wasn't worse. Because it could have been.

My SIL's eight-year-old rottie/mastiff mix died from (it sounds like) what the vets are warning you about. It's been over a decade, and my SIL still can't talk about it without absolutely breaking down. She was home alone, and there was no way she could lift/move/help a dog that size. In her case, they know they waited too long.

But the thing is...and I know I'm the exception here, but I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the "better a day too early" philosophy. If we'd let Nelly (kidney failure) go sooner, she would have missed out on walks to the pond, sniffing the grass the ducks had walked through, a visit from her beloved grandparents... And I am *enormously* grateful she had every last minute she had. I know we didn't push her too long; we let her go at exactly the right moment. But there's no way to know in advance when that will be. Which is why this is all so damn hard.

Hugs to you as you try and figure this out. Whatever you decide WILL BE RIGHT.

I am so sorry to read this.

John E had a tumor that burst sometime after he had breakfast and he was gone by lunch time. His body was purple with bruises and he had some golf ball sized clotted areas on his legs. We didn't even know he was sick. It is a terrible thing to witness.

Your Abby has given the rotten cancer a good fight. The decision now is yours.

G-d bless you and your sweet girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Yes, IT IS HARD, but as you said, you don't want her "bleeding out" when you are not home.

You need to take a day or two to "digest" this, and then, you will know the right thing to do. That is what I would do ... nothing immediate, ... but you do need to consider what is best. As many of the people on GT have said, a day sooner, is better than a day too late. D

Totally agree.

I am very sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my Sweet Fifi to an acute onset of DIC on Good Friday. She hadn't felt very well for a few days, but wasn't really sick either. We had done blood work on Tuesday and everything looked OK. We found one enlarged lymph node and no other signs. She was fine when I went to bed at 11 pm on Thursday night, but when I woke of Friday am, she was severly ill and in shock. We rushed her to the vet, but within minutes had to let her go because she had massive intenal bleeding. It was a terrible thing to have to deal with. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

No experience with DIC, just the hardest one - when to let them go. It's so personal, that everyone has a different approach to deciding when the time is right. We will be here to help, should you need it. You and Abby wll be in our prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

thank you so much for sharing all your experiences and advice, everyone. she had a great day yesterday, ate TONS of food, and acted pretty much normally. in a way, that's what makes this harder. it essentially means letting Abby go when she feels good and is still enjoying life. she's my first dog and we've had her for 13 yrs. taking her to all her favorite places and people in the next few days while we keep a close eye on her. still thinking. thanks again and keep sending me more stories if you can. they help.

love, tracy, ellen, and abby

2rqyqhd.jpg