Arghh! What Next?

Guest myjazzy

Guest myjazzy

Help! Does anybody know anything about mushrooms? Are these poisonous? I gave her some hydrogen peroxyde, but still....

It has been raining a lot lately here and these things are starting to sprout in the yard.

These are the pieces I took from her

CIMG0238-1.jpg

And these are the ones I could find in the yard

CIMG0236.jpg

My son and DIL's grey got very sick from eating yard mushrooms. Please watch her carefully.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

please call the ASPCA poison control centre. i think it costs approx. $60 but it's well worth it and the advice they offer, as well as follow up, is fantastic. (888) 426-4435. keep us posted, ok?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can relate. Devotion would eat any mushroom. I would de-shroom the yard first thing every morning and again in the evening before he went out there. You know how fast they grow here in Houston. :eek Devotion became really sick before I knew his little pleasure and what he was up to. They literally made him high as a kite. Seriously, you may have to de-shroom daily. I hope it is ok.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest myjazzy

Called poison control. I had given her hydrogen peroxide but she didn't throw up so they said to take her for a walk and if she still didn't throw up, to take her to the vet. I took her and they were going to induce vomiting, give her charcoal and monitor for a while, so I have to go get her later. She seems ok, but better safe than sorry.

Does anybody want an unruly black girl? She's free to a good home. :wacko:

Called poison control. I had given her hydrogen peroxide but she didn't throw up so they said to take her for a walk and if she still didn't throw up, to take her to the vet. I took her and they were going to induce vomiting, give her charcoal and monitor for a while, so I have to go get her later. She seems ok, but better safe than sorry.

Does anybody want an unruly black girl? She's free to a good home. :wacko:

i'll trade your unruly black girl for my unruly black girl! now you know how i knew about poison control!

hope she's ok!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Gem, don't scare your momma so bad. You wont get any yogurt.

Maria, we all have our toes, fingers, pawsies crossed that Gem in going to be fine!! Sending lots of prayers and healing white lite to her that she gets better, and leaves the shrooms alone in the future.

Kendra and Melissa

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Guest myjazzy
i'll trade your unruly black girl for my unruly black girl! now you know how i knew about poison control!

hope she's ok!

I should have known. How is Miss Loca feeling?

Not only is she unruly, but her great-grandfather was Unruly. I'm in real trouble. :lol

Praying for your girl to be o.k.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest greytfostermom

I have the same problem in my yard. Those mushroom grow 6 inches every second or so it seems. I pick them all and 5 minutes later, my yard if full of them again .. I did some research to see if I could get rid of them and apparently I can't. I have had to make dogs throw up after eating mushrooms too.

Guest greytfostermom

I have the same problem in my yard :yikes . Those mushroom grow 6 inches every second or so it seems :gmark . I pick them all and 5 minutes later, my yard if full of them again .. I did some research to see if I could get rid of them and apparently I can't. :dunno I have had to make dogs throw up after eating :repuke mushrooms too.

Guest sorenkkg

Is there a place you can find out if the ones you have are toxic? I know some places you can bring them to the pharmacist for identification.

I don't get them in my backyard but in the side access to the yard-- luckily we don't hang out there so it's not a huge issue, but I worry about it too.

See if the local botanical association can help or something? If you ID what you have in your yard at least you'll know how best to deal with future episodes...

Guest FullMetalFrank
Have you done research to find out if those mushrooms are even dangerous? There are lots of mushrooms that aren't.

I think it is best to err on the side of caution; unless you are absolutely certain beyond a doubt that a mushroom is not toxic, better to treat as if it is.

Have you done research to find out if those mushrooms are even dangerous? There are lots of mushrooms that aren't.

I think it is best to err on the side of caution; unless you are absolutely certain beyond a doubt that a mushroom is not toxic, better to treat as if it is.

There are only two things to doubt when it comes to identifying "safe" mushrooms and "dangerous" mushrooms:

1) The word of a novice

2) The word of an expert *

And don't even think anyone can ID them over the phone. It's like telling someone what purple looks like when they've been blind from birth.

* Exception: mycologists. Even mycologists can be exempted from this exemption if they've consumed too many magic mushrooms during their career.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest myjazzy

We're back. She seems fine, but if they are indeed poisonous mushrooms, the effects take longer to show up, so I'll have to watch her and have some blood work done. Tomorrow, I'm going to check if there is a place that can identify the mushrooms and take them. I would like to know for future reference, because if they are poisonous, I'm going to go on a mushroom eradication campaign in my yard. In the meantime, I'll make sure I pull them out before the dogs can get to them.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check if there is a place that can identify the mushrooms and take them.

Try your county's agricultural extension office. They might be able to ID from the picture.

My angel Batman used to eat mushrooms. Did get sick once from either a mushroom or neighbor's organophosphate spraying.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope your girl continues to be ok!!!!!! :hope :hope

I have the same problem in my yard. Those mushroom grow 6 inches every second or so it seems. I pick them all and 5 minutes later, my yard if full of them again .. I did some research to see if I could get rid of them and apparently I can't. I have had to make dogs throw up after eating mushrooms too.

we got those *%&*( things in our yard too, THOUSANDS of them. HATE them. LBM's (little brown mushrooms). Pretty much unidentifyable, no idea if they're toxic or not. Rainey's eaten them twice, had to make her puke both times. Now they BOTH wear stool guards EVERY second they're in the yard. I feel like a bad mommy for having to do that, but I won't take any chances (and we sit outside a LOT). Rainey will eat ANYTHING (Nube eats yard brownies, thus his stool guard) :puke

I've looked online many times to no avail on how to get rid of them or at least keep them somewhat under control. If anyone knows a way, please let us know! :) They really do grow like 6 inches an hour, I swear!

ETA: It seems that as soon as we started trying to remove them (like 3 springs ago) the more and more we get each year -- I'm guessing by picking them we're sending more and more spores across the yard? :dunno

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest myjazzy

Gem was fine when I got home from work. I gave her some Sam-E with her dinner. The poison control people told me to do that for a few days to support her liver just in case.

I got an email about the mushrooms from the agricultural extension office:

I cannot identify these immature mushrooms with certainty on the basis of the photos, but they appear to be a Lepiota or Macrolepiota, or possibly the notoriously toxic Chlorophyllum molybdites*. It is good that the dog was treated as it was; I hope it develops no symptoms.

* -- See http://americanmushrooms.com/taxa/Chloroph...artha_Edley.htm

David W. Fischer

Mycologist, Author, Photographer, Musician

http://AmericanMushrooms.com

Edited by myjazzy

Guest FullMetalFrank

Good job for contacting the ag extension; even though they weren't able to give a definative answer. Now that you know hey could be potentially harmful, I'd definately continue with the SamE, maybe add some milk thistle, and contact the vet with he info the ag office sent you just in case they want to check her out further.