Greyhounds Have Lower Thyroid Levels, Right?

Guest candt

Guest candt

my new vet told me that at .7 my greyhounds thyroid is low. So I mentioned that I always heard that greyounds have lower thyroid levels than other dogs and she says that is not true.

can you guys clear this up? and maybe cite a reference (web site, etc) that backs it up?

btw, my grey has NO weight gain, hair loss issues, or decreased activity.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

www.greythealth.com

You should probably look at finding a more Greyhound savvy vet OR spend the time to educate yourself, so you can educate this vet about Greyhound specifics.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest candt

well i was going to have this place do a dental on my grey but now im scared! it is a pretty reputable place and i think a lot of greyhound owners do go there...

Edited by candt

Guest KennelMom
I'd be looking for another vet, frankly. It's been well known for years.

:nod +1

If you decide to stick with this vet, maybe get them (and yourself) a copy of Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound. Our vet already had a copy, or we'd have given them one for reference.

FWIW, I've had vets who didn't know various *other* things about greyhounds, but when I've questioned or suggested things, they've always been willing to look stuff up, read material I've brought them, consult with other vets, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If your vet actually said it's not true, that would make me nervous. Print out Dr Stack's article on the values of GH's vs other breeds and bring that to your vet. Then see what she has to say, if she doesn't accpet it, look for another vet

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BellesDad

I am amazed at how many vets are ignorant about Greyhound health and ranges on blood tests etc,. I live in Montreal and have to consult with my vet friend greyhound expert in Colorado. They always get it wrong here....

Guest FordRacingRon
If she doesn't know about the thyroid then she knows nothing else about greys and I would not let her put my grey under for dental. She may be a fine vet, just not with greys.

Dick

This would be my take too. the two thing I insist on my vet knowing is about thyroid and knowing about anethesia. My bet is your vet knows neither,,,,time to look.

While I don't agree with your veterinarian that a 0.7 T4 result means your greyhound is hypothyroid I do believe it warrants further thyroid testing. You can be hypothyroid w/o all or any of the traditional signs of hypothyroidism.

Guest EmilyAnne

When a vet does not know the answer to something, he/she should *find out* as opposed to coming up with her own answer and stating it as correct. You can give your vet literature and etc. but I wouldn't decide a vet is safe just on that. It's possible she will not bother to read the literature since she thinks she is already knowledgable on this.

By the way, I have had a vet claim to be greyhound savvy, but was not. Turns our he felt that just cause his parents had a greyhound 20 years ago, that alone made him 'greyhound savvy'. He too misdiagnosed my grey as being hypothyroid.

Run to another vet as quick as you can and I speak from experience when it comes to thyroid testing. I believed my vet when he said my af needed .6 mg twice a day. I ended up emailing Dr. Dodds and asking her and she said it was way too much for a sighthound. I would print everything that the GT people have posted on this thread and take to another vet. Maybe someone in your area has a greyhound savy vet they could recommend. Dr. Dodds also said in her email that a high dosage could cause an irregular heart beat which my dog has now. PM if you want and I will forward you the emails that Dr. Dodds sent me (HEMOPET).

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

On most labs' scales, 0.7 would be considered normal for a greyhound. If she doesn't have symptoms, I wouldn't bother to test further. T4 can vary from hour to hour and day to day.

I'm not saying I agree with the OP's vet, but just wanted to point out that years ago, there was quite a bit of discussion in the veterinary community about what was a normal thyroid level for a greyhound. Many vets at the time (my old one included) thought that a greyhound's thyroid level was normally lower than most other breeds. That issue was one of the main reasons I changed vets. I remember it being a huge issue at the time, but I believe most of those vets now know that's not the case. Sounds like this vet needs to do some research.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Maybe it's because I live in the middle of no where at the moment and I have my choice of one vet or no vet at all. Or maybe it's because I'm a nurse.

Anyhow, if this vet has a good reputation and if you like them (other than this issue) I would do my best to work with your vet.

I don't know what kind of test you did or where it was sent. If he's not done a full panel that went to Michigan State University, then I would have your vet do this first. Different labs use different scales and therefore have different norms and you can't be 100% sure unless it goes to Michigan.

I have had two of my own greyhounds with hypothyroidism and a number of fosters with it, and all took meds. None of them was overweight. Not all of them had fur issues. Every dog is different.

Best of luck and I hope that you get this all straightened out to your satifaction and to your dogs well being. :)

This isn't Beverly Natural Animal Hospital is it? I think I thought you went there and we have been extremely impressed with them (Dr. Rickets in particular).

But definitely find someone else if you are not comfortable with what you are hearing from them!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I'd be looking for another vet, frankly. It's been well known for years.

Absolutely. Immediately. Does he also disagree with anethesia protocols?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Spencers_Greyt
well i was going to have this place do a dental on my grey but now im scared! it is a pretty reputable place and i think a lot of greyhound owners do go there...

If this vet is unaware of Greyhound thyroid levels I would be deeply concerned about them knowing how sensitive Greyhounds are to anesthesia!