Uti, Weight Loss And Now Won't Eat

Guest maxthegreyt

Guest maxthegreyt

Molly is 11 1/2 years old and was doing fine until last weekend. She starting having accidents in the house so I took her to the vet on Tuesday. She has a UTI and they put her on Baytril for 2 weeks. We will re-check urine at the end of 2 weeks. She has had some rear end weakness which was mostly when she was going to the bathroom which I attributed to just getting older. Now all of the sudden she won't stand long at all and starts shaking when she does. She no longer greets us when we come home or gets up off her bed except to go out or at feeding time (or to change beds). She lost 10 pounds since we were at the vet last year so I'm trying to increase her food a bit. She eats Innova Evo - 2 1/2 cups a day which I was trying to increase to 3 cups. Yesterday she ate but not well. Today she only ate 1 cup in the morning and wouldn't eat any of her dinner. Before we went to the vet and started on Baytril she was eating fine. Any thoughts on the not eating? I'm not sure if the Baytril could be causing her to not want to eat or if it's coincidental that this is all happening at the same time. She just seems so down and the not eating, weight loss and shaking is obviously a huge concern. Any ideas, suggestions??

Baytril *can* upset the tummy.

Try this:

Give one regular strength Pepcid (10 mg famotidine -- that's the generic, and it's fine).

Wait 30 minutes.

Offer food.

Once she's eaten a reasonable amount, give the Baytril.

If that doesn't work first time around, call your vet and ask for stronger stomach meds. And see if she will eat something like cooked beef with some of the fat drained off (so it's easier on her tummy), or a scrambled egg, peanutbutter sandwich, whatever she likes.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest maxthegreyt

Thanks for the suggestions. I gave her a pepcid last night and this morning. She never ate anything last night and ate less than a cup of food this morning. Shes so shaky when she's standing and starting to look like skin and bones. I'm going to call the vet this morning and I will try some of the food suggestions throughout the day today. Thanks for your help. I'm very worried about her at this point.

Sending prayers for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest maxthegreyt

The vet didn't change antibiotics or give anything for her stomach. He felt she might not be eating due to pain so he gave her Rimadyl. I've also been giving her Pepcid as some of you suggested. She did at least eat some dinner. I gave her some dry Evo mixed with 1/2 can Evo. She seems to be a little better this evening but we'll have to see how tomorrow goes. She also lost another pound since Tuesday which the vet didn't seem to think was a big deal but it is to me. Losing 11 pounds can't be good. Hopefully she'll continue to eat tomorrow and and at least maybe we can stop the weight loss. Thanks again for help and prayers.

Keep up the pepcid. If she shows any diarrhea or vomiting, stop the Rimadyl at once. I'm a little surprised the vet prescribed it -- it can be very hard on the stomach.

Is there another vet you can consult?

Guest maxthegreyt

Molly seems to be feeling much better. She's still having some accidents in the house mostly when we've been gone for a long period of time. She isn't having any vomiting or diarrhea so hopefully she's tolerating the Baytril and Rimadyl. She has been eating a bit more so that's on the right track too. I'm not sure if she's feeling better from the antibiotic kicking in or the Rimadyl helping with pain. My biggest concern now is that she's limping on her front right leg. I thought it was from having trouble going down the stairs and tripping but I haven't been letting her use the stairs at all since early in the week and she's still limping. Now I'm worried about osteo in that leg.

Guest maxthegreyt

Molly was diagnosed with bladder cancer today. It is also felt that she has an autoimmune problem. We opted for no further testing and to just try to keep her comfortable. She's on Rimadyl and Tramadol along with the Baytril. Hopefully we will at least have the weekend with her. Unless there's some dramatic change I don't think she'll make it past early next week.

Molly was diagnosed with bladder cancer today. It is also felt that she has an autoimmune problem. We opted for no further testing and to just try to keep her comfortable. She's on Rimadyl and Tramadol along with the Baytril. Hopefully we will at least have the weekend with her. Unless there's some dramatic change I don't think she'll make it past early next week.

I'm so sorry. Make the most of the time you have with her :grouphug

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending gentle hugs and scritchies to your Molly, and more hugs to yourself.

Oh I'm so very sorry. Enjoy the time you have left.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so very sorry. We actually have an appointment at the vet tomorrow to see if one of ours has bladder cancer. I feel for you and hope you have some precious time left with your sweetie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh, this is awful news. I am so sorry! Make lots of memories while we send prayers for your girl and hugs for you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest MAXNAV

Rimadyl and Baytril with not much food in her stomach would not make her feel good at all. Based on my experience with a collie I had, I'd ask for an ultrasound to be sure everything is ok. I hope she feels better soon.

BTW, I tried stinky food, people food, etc. and nothing would work to make my guy eat when he didn't feel well. It sure was tough getting medicines into him.

Guest maxthegreyt

Molly had an ultrasound on Friday. The vet saw a tumor in her bladder. Molly is going downhill quickly. I wish tomorrow wasn't Sunday. We will take her on Monday to put her to sleep. She is no longer enjoying anything about life. It was such a quick decline over the last 2 weeks. She was our first greyhound and will be sorely missed by us all.