Pack Behavior

Guest myjazzy

Poor girl. Heal quickly sweetie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really sad and really scary and once again reminds us, they are still dogs.

I am so sorry for you Maria and most of all your baby. Hope its a really speedy recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

Our Sand has seizures. We crate him when we go away and at night. We baby gate him in another room when we are outside.

Angel, who is the pack leader is the one that has seizures. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am VERY GRATEFUL for the pack I have. When Angel has a seizure, Darby will come and get me and the others just kinda watch. But...I know how the mentality can change at any given time, so if I am leaving for even a minute they are all muzzled: and the littles are crated. At night they all sleep in my bedroom so I think I would hear is something happened.

Please don't ever forget muzzles are our friends. Hugs to you and the hounds. :grouphug

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Poor babe. Sending lots of prayers and wishes for steady, quick healing. Hugs to you, too -- bet you could use some right now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest myjazzy
Angel, who is the pack leader is the one that has seizures. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am VERY GRATEFUL for the pack I have. When Angel has a seizure, Darby will come and get me and the others just kinda watch. But...I know how the mentality can change at any given time, so if I am leaving for even a minute they are all muzzled: and the littles are crated. At night they all sleep in my bedroom so I think I would hear is something happened.

Please don't ever forget muzzles are our friends. Hugs to you and the hounds. :grouphug

A good friend seems to think that Gem is the dominant female and that is why she acted the way she did. I think if your pack has not had a reaction so far, they are probably ok. I just wanted to let you know that we were all in the bedroom and in the time it took me to realize what was going on Gem had done a lot of damage.

On the bright side, I just fed them and Cafe got up when she heard me getting the food ready. She ate the snack I gave her with gusto. If she had refused to eat I would have been really worried because she is a chow hound. Shes now laying down again.

Guest EmilyAnne

OUCH! I dont have experinece with the pack part as I only have two dogs and Riley doesnt attack seizuring dogs. I do gate Henry into a room by himself when we are away just to be safe.

Praying for a speedy recovery, and for seizures to come under control.

Wow, Maria, that's quite impressive. Poor Cafe! I'm glad she's feeling a little better this evening. Thinking good thoughts that she heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreytfullDad

I think your initial idea was right, and having the fullhouse agree makes it a certainty. Crates at night and muzzles when unattende sounds like the answer until you can get the seizure problem under control.

Hope your girl is feeling better and all our prayers for a quick and full recovery. B)

Guest lat41065

Maria

I had a siezure dog until I lost him a month ago and i always kept him kenneled when i wasnt here and he slept in the hall alone at night. I didnt think it was necessary till the same thing happened and he got attacked.

Hope all else is well.

Lesley

oh gosh!!! Your poor girl!!!! :( :( :( :(

sending healing hugs and prayers her way!!!!! :bighug:hope:bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest myjazzy

Thank you. She slept well last night, but of course she had 3 tramadol. She's a lot more awake this morning and was standing when I got up. :) I took her outside, but she didn't want to step on the grass, so she came back in. Then she proceeded to drink water. She ate all her breakfast and took her antibiotic and Rimadyl without a problem. :chow She's laying down now, exhausted from all that effort. She barely puts her leg down and the other leg shakes when she stands or walks. She is still draining like crazy, but I guess that's what's supposed to happen.

I'm staying home with her today. The next time we go outside, I'll run some water on her leg.

I'm so glad that Cafe is doing pretty well this morning, poor baby. Poor you too! What a stressful situation.

The only thing I have to add is that I have long baby gated my dogs into the bedroom at night so that Piper doesn't wander out of the bedroom and seize. He has a couple of tags on his collar that jingle nicely and wake me quickly if he is seizing. I've just added another grey and Spirit has not seen one of Piper's seizures yet. When I'm away form home Spirit is still being crated for house training purposes. At night I've got their beds on opposite sides of my bed. After your experience, I may try muzzling at night to be on the safe side.

Sending warm healing thoughts to Cafe, to you, and to your other dogs.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Sending healing thoughts to Cafe - don't forget that Traumeel gel (Health food store) is your friend, it will help with the swelling and soreness quite a bit.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I don't kennel or otherwise separate Ryan. He's always had his seizures in the early hours of the morning and I have always woken up as soon as they start - even if he's not in the same room or on the same floor when he has one.

Jet does not wake up for them. She wakes up when I run to Ryan to make sure he doesn't hurt himself during his seizure.

Guest myjazzy

UPDATE

Cafe just went outside and peed for the first time since she got home yesterday evening. I took the opportunity to do some hydrotherapy on her wounds. She wasn't thrilled but she put up with it. She's very stoic. Throughout the whole thing I have not heard a peep out of her.

I had a chance to really look at her wounds and it's sobering. She has the one on the outside of the leg that shows up in the picture, one on the inside of her leg and one on the other leg on her bum, close to the tail. She's still oozing a considerable amount, but I asked the vet who called to check on her a little while ago, and she said she'll be oozing for three or four days. We're also going to start her on phenobarbital this evening. Her left hock is a little swolen, but I'm sure that's to be expected. She's not as bruised as I thought she would be, but it may be early yet.

She goes in for a check-up on Friday.

Guest myjazzy
Sending healing thoughts to Cafe - don't forget that Traumeel gel (Health food store) is your friend, it will help with the swelling and soreness quite a bit.

I checked on the Traumeel gel online and I read that you are not supposed to put it on large areas or open wounds. What is considered a large area? We are talking about pretty much her whole left leg past the stifle, and a fair amount of the area is open wounds.