"just Not Right"

Yesterday Mandy seemed fine, then when I got up this morning, I noticed she had not moved from her bed during the night, which is highly unusual. She also didn't drink any water over night, which is unheard of. Then, when I got my shoes on to take her out, she half-heartedly came to the door. Usually, even if she was sound asleep, she's at the door wagging and stretching. She didn't stretch at all and it took some coaxing to get a faint wag. She didn't sniff at the grass at all--this is a girl I call Madame Sniffs-a-Lot. She just kept stopping and looking at me with a sad, drawn expression. She wouldn't pee or poop until we had been walking (slowly) for 30 minutes. When she finally went, she just squatted and did her business--usually she has to sniff at least 10,000 blades of grass to find JUST the right one to christen. She also barely mustered a wag for her best K-9 buddy.

Luckily Dr. Kellogg is going to be able to see her this afteroon. We could use good thoughts for Mandy.

Thank you!

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Good thoughts for you and Mandy, Beverly. Christine will set her straight :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest agroshong

Keeping Mandy and you close in my thoughts today, Beverly, as always. Let me know if you need anything at all and we'll be right there! Glad that she's able to get into Dr. Kellogg so quickly.

Edited by agroshong

Guest Vinnie

Keeping paws and fingers crossed that it is nothing serious and she is just out of sorts today. Adding our voices to the chant, nothing wrong, nothing wrong ...

Hope it's nothing Beverly!! Let us know as soon as you're back. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, it looks like Mandy has a neck problem. She started screaming (she does a great GSOD) when Dr. K turned her head to the left. She's on Robaxin and extra Tramadol. Plus I need to walk her with the harness, which she doesn't like. She already had her regular 8 week follow up for acupuncture scheduled for this Saturday, I called Dr. Kocen's office and he is going to get her in tomorrow, which should also help. I have to keep her quiet (not too tough) for the next week or so. The toughest thing is the steps...we live on the fourth floor and there are no elevators. She is doing okay going up, but I can tell going down hurts her. Luckily, I have a sling, so I can help support her. If she's not doing at least a little better by the end of the week, we'll revisit and do x-rays and whatever else seems appropriate.

Thank you for your good thoughts and kind messages! It's so hard when the pups are hurting.

Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Sending prayers for a full recovery for Mandy. I'm sure the acupuncture will help her.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

If you are interested in doing some chiropractic work as well I can recommend a great one who does house visits. She fixed up Inu when he had some neck issue and she still visits every six months to fix Salem's hip and to let Inu be a jerk when she adjusts him.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Thanks everybody -- maybe Mandy wouldn't have neck problems if she didn't lay like this much of the time:

510982192_DV6Mq-S.jpg

or this:

510984170_X4tef-M.jpg

I just had to use this opportunity to post some of my pictures of Mandy that I finally took the time to upload to the web!!

Colleen, yes, please let me know about the chiro. I had planned to ask Dr. Kocen tomorrow, but I would prefer a personal referral.

Good thoughts and crossed paws coming to Mandy. Glad to hear it is treatable but yes it is so hard when our babies hurt. Something similar happened to my dog years ago and the acupuncture/chiro did a world of difference. We still do the monthly maintenance. Love and hugs.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Just thought to look for any updates. Sorry to hear about the poor girl's neck. Is she feeling any better?

And she absolutely should NOT stop laying around like that, too cute. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone--Mandy is feeling much better--she's probably about 95% of her "normal" self! Dr. Kocen REALLY pinned her up in the acupuncture--he had needles all the way from the top of her head to the base of her tail. After the acupuncture, we came home, she was still really sore and depressed. She just laid down stiffly. About 4 hours later, she sat up, stretched, got a drink, and asked to go outside. When we got out, she started sniffing and looking around. It was almost like a light switch had been flipped. She was probably about 50% better at that point. Yesterday afternoon we were out walking and I started to get exasperated by the crazed sniffing and was going to tell her "that's enough" when I realized that on Monday, I would have given anything to have Madame Sniffs-a-lot back. So I didn't correct her, and just gave her a big hug.

Dr. Kellogg believes (as do I) that the combination of the meds and the acupuncture really made the difference.

(side note to folks whose dogs are seen by Dr. Kellogg--she's having ankle surgery on Wednesday and will be out for a few weeks....)