Fenway Is Sick

Guest FenwaysDad

Guest FenwaysDad

Fenway is sick, and I just thought I would post as see if anyone has any advice for us.

He had some loose stool and a little bit of diarrhea on Wednesday night, which progressed to full diarrhea on Thursday. It wasn't that bad, so we started giving Immodium and switched his food to white rice and hamburger, in small quantities. Our vet was unavailable on Friday, but it looked like Fenway was getting better, so we decided not to page our vet. This morning the diarrhea started getting worse, and around noon he passed a lot of liquid with blood. We paged our vet, and he told us to increase the dosage of Immodium, to also give Pepto, and to keep him updated. We did that, and about 45 minutes later he passed more liquid with blood (I think it was all blood), and then he threw up. I'm not positive, but based on the color of the vomit I think there may have been a little bit of blood in that too...although it could have been the Pepto. We paged our vet again, and he instructed us to give some Kaopectate along with another dosage of Pepto and some Benedryl. He also called in a prescription of Sucralfate for us.

I had to run out to get the Kaopectate and the Sucralfate, so we just gave him everything a short while ago. We are waiting to see if he will keep it down. If he is not able to keep it down, we will try again, and then our vet wants us to bring him in for at least tonight.

We love our vet (I think I trust him more than my own doctor), but if anyone has any other advice for us, I would be very happy to listen. We've had Fenway for over 2 years, and this is the first time he's really been sick.

Thanks very much,

Dave

Edit: I just wanted to add that until this afternoon he has been his usual self except for the diarrhea. He's had his usual appetite, he's had water, he's played with his toys, and he hasn't had a temperature. He normally doesn't get into anything while we're gone, and we haven't found any evidence otherwise any time recently. Also, because the yard is really muddy, we've been leash walking him to cut down on the mud...he's been totally supervised outside for the last 2 weeks.

Edited by FenwaysDad

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like severe gastritis maybe. How is Fenway's water intake? Since this has been going on since Wednesday I'd be very worried about dehydration. Sometimes we never know what starts these events, but a dog can crash quickly if too dehydrated.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I just went through a bout of bloody diarrhea with Alimony last month. Thankfully she didn't have any vomiting. My E-vet said that vomiting in addition to the bloody diarrhea would be more worrisome than "just" bloody diarrhea.

Point being, you may want to get an abdominal xray and some bloodwork done.

Ultimately for Ali (who again, had no vomiting) what worked was fasting for 24 hours (no food or treats at all, only water) to give her gut a rest, then three full days of bland rice/boiled chicken diet. Then slowly working the rice/chix diet back toward kibble over the course of three more days. She also had a seven-day course of Metronidazole (Flagyl) and famotidine (Pepcid).

I hope Fenway feels better fast! :goodluck

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest FenwaysDad
Sounds like severe gastritis maybe. How is Fenway's water intake? Since this has been going on since Wednesday I'd be very worried about dehydration. Sometimes we never know what starts these events, but a dog can crash quickly if too dehydrated.

We've been keeping an eye on him, and he seems to be taking in his usual amount of water. He's only had a little bit today, but he usually drinks most of his water in the evening. Today we've added a little unflavored pedalite to his water bowl.

I've read about checking his gums...and if you press on his gums the color returns immediately.

Guest FenwaysDad
I just went through a bout of bloody diarrhea with Alimony last month. Thankfully she didn't have any vomiting. My E-vet said that vomiting in addition to the bloody diarrhea would be more worrisome than "just" bloody diarrhea.

Point being, you may want to get an abdominal xray and some bloodwork done.

Ultimately for Ali (who again, had no vomiting) what worked was fasting for 24 hours (no food or treats at all, only water) to give her gut a rest, then three full days of bland rice/boiled chicken diet. Then slowly working the rice/chix diet back toward kibble over the course of three more days. She also had a seven-day course of Metronidazole (Flagyl) and famotidine (Pepcid).

I hope Fenway feels better fast! :goodluck

Our vet did tell us not to give him anything to eat, now that he vomited, until we see that he's keeping the medicine down for awhile. That's a really good idea about working slowly back to his usual diet once he isn't sick anymore...I didn't think that far ahead yet. :)

I'm really hoping the medicine caused him to vomit...of course he really didn't want to take it.

Thanks very much!

I've read about checking his gums...and if you press on his gums the color returns immediately.

Well that's a good sign, his blood pressure isin't low. You can do the old skin pull to check to be sure he isin't dehyrated.

Hoping he feels better quickly

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FenwaysDad
Your vet at no point said, "Bring him in"?

How's he doing now?

He did say that he wanted us to bring him in tonight if Fenway couldn't keep anything down, but he wanted us to try some medicine first.

But yeah...I was sorta expecting him to ask us to bring him in immediately. I guess that's a big part of the reason I'm posting...

Guest ChancesMom

I have dealt with bloody diarrhea and vomiting with Chance on 2 different occasions. Both times he had HGE (Hemoragic Gastro Enteritis) The first time I didn't know what to look for and he ended up staying overnight at the vet with IV antibiotics and fluids and went home on oral antibiotics. The second time I caught it right away and they just did sub Q fluids and again antibiotics. This can be very dangerous if not treated right away. By the way, the first time he had it it progressed to vomiting blood along with the bloody diarrhea. They tried sulcralfate the first time but it did nothing for him.

I sure hope that Fenway improves with the medications you are trying and that he is better soon.

Guest FenwaysDad
Most vets don't use kaopectate anymore because of the aspirin connection. It could also be hard on the stomach.

Carafate (sulcrafate) should not make him vomit.

Is your vet open at night?

He thought that Fenway's vomiting may have been caused by the medicine, so he thought Kaopectate may soothe Fenway's stomach enough to keep the meds down. If he keeps everything down, we are to continue with the Pepto, Immodium, and Sucralfate (not the Kaopectate).

Our vet does not have normal hours on evenings or weekends, but he will open as necessary. He charges $25 for phone consultations on evenings/weekends, and $85 for opening the office...and I think that's really just to cut down on people contacting him for minor stuff.

He seems to be keeping everything down since the last round of meds. He looks so comfortable, but we're going to get him up and give more Pepto and try to get him to take some water.

There is still a kaopectate - kao-pec - that is for animals with no asprin-like substance in it. You can usually ifnd it at a farm and feed, a vet, or in some of the dog supply mags. The drug store stuff is way worse for cats, but not so awful for dogs when you are in a pinch. We use the liquid kao-pec for Chase when he flares, and I use the drug store stuff/caps on a limited basis if it is just a one day thing.

Did you get instructions for the carafate for later when you are feeding him? There's an interval -- beween meals -- that you need to observe, so the meds have time to coat. At our house carafate is the bomb :)

I hope Fenway is better very soon. If he vomits again, I would get him in ASAP.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Feel better sweet Fenway. We both are sending warm wishes to help you get better right away! These are to brighten you day!

:f_white

Kendra and Melissa

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Guest FenwaysDad

Well, thanks everybody. Fenway got sick again. :( Our vet has facilities at his home, and he'll be caring for him there.

We really appreciate the well wishes.

Guest SoulsMom
I have dealt with bloody diarrhea and vomiting with Chance on 2 different occasions. Both times he had HGE (Hemoragic Gastro Enteritis) The first time I didn't know what to look for and he ended up staying overnight at the vet with IV antibiotics and fluids and went home on oral antibiotics. The second time I caught it right away and they just did sub Q fluids and again antibiotics. This can be very dangerous if not treated right away. By the way, the first time he had it it progressed to vomiting blood along with the bloody diarrhea. They tried sulcralfate the first time but it did nothing for him.

I sure hope that Fenway improves with the medications you are trying and that he is better soon.

Ditto, I went through the same thing with Soul. I put off taking him in and he ended up in ICU on fluids. Once you start seeing the blood it can get very bad, very fast without treatment.

Fenway should at least be on Flagyl and a prescription diet for a few days.

:grouphug I know how scary it is

Edited by SoulsMom

Yes my bridge kid Angus had HGE e-vet gave him something to stop the nausea. Did not help I took him to my regular vet and he gave him IV fluids and antibiotics. He is not open on the weekend so he showed me how to give shots and sent us home with loads of meds. Took him back on Monday and the vet was amazed at how well he had done. He sid " Back from the dead old fella" He did fine for a while longer and then lost use of his back legs and was put to sleep at the ripe old age of 13 3/4

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg

Guest FenwaysDad

Wow, that was difficult...leaving Fenway...but as much as we'll worry about him, there is some relief now that he's in the care of our vet.

Fenway was given an IV and 2 injections. (One was an antibiotic, but I can't remember the names of either now.) Our vet is going to monitor Fenway in the clinic for a few hours, and then Fenway is probably going to stay with him in his house for at least tonight. He'll keep Fenway until he's sure he can keep down medicine and food, and then he'll be put on a prescription diet for awhile.

I'm going to go pass out on the sofa now.

Guest SoulsMom
Wow, that was difficult...leaving Fenway...but as much as we'll worry about him, there is some relief now that he's in the care of our vet.

Fenway was given an IV and 2 injections. (One was an antibiotic, but I can't remember the names of either now.) Our vet is going to monitor Fenway in the clinic for a few hours, and then Fenway is probably going to stay with him in his house for at least tonight. He'll keep Fenway until he's sure he can keep down medicine and food, and then he'll be put on a prescription diet for awhile.

I'm going to go pass out on the sofa now.

:grouphug I know how you feel, it was awful for me to have to leave Soul at the E-vet for the night. I'm so glad you have such a caring vet that can keep him at his house to monitor him. Please keep us posted

Sending hugs and prayers for your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gosh, how very scary. Glad to hear he's in good hands. Please keep us posted on Fenway's progress!

:grouphug:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.