Riley

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in over a week as my computer is being repaired. Many of you know our Eskie was having some issues with a front wrist. It swelled quite a bit more over the last week, and yesterday we took him to the vet. What was originally diagnosed as a soft tissue injury is actually a mast cell tumor. It is not in the bone, but it is in a spot where it can not be operated on except by total limb ampuation.

Riley is 14 years old. I am at the library as I post this, and I am trying not to cry. We have decided not to amputate. Part of me wants to do the ampuation, because I cant stand the thought of losing Riley, who has been with me for 14 years, and part of me knows I should let him go. Our house is on the market. My husband has been very sick, and we need to move asap. I think Riley would just rather not deal with amputation and the big move and then the arthritis he already currently has would make a front limb amputation very hard on him. He has a low threshold for pain.

Two years ago, Riley lost his lifelong companion, that he had been with for 12 years, Alfalfa. I know Alfalfa is up in heaven, ready to welcome Riley into heaven with him.

I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and doing what I need to do and the world goes on, but inside I am screaming for the world to just stop.

We are just taking it one day at a time for now.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how it feels to need the world to just stop, yet on it goes. But do know that there's a little universe of people out here who know you, if only from your posts, care about you, and are shaking their heads on your behalf, knowing that you didn't need this. Not now, not ever. :( We'll be here for you, sending good thoughts, as you put one foot in front of the other.

Hugs for you and scritches for Riley. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry --- I hope this isn't too painful for him.

I hope you have quite awhile with Riley before you have to send him to the bridge.

Sending hugs.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest greyt2love

Oh, Emily, I'm so sorry. I would make the same decision you have, given those circumstances, but that doesn't make it any easier for you to be living with it. Hugs to you.

Guest PiagetsMom

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you post lately......I'm so sorry you're having a diffucult time and my thoughts are with you and Riley :grouphug

I'm so sorry to hear of Riley's diagnosis :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

he knows you'll do what's best for him :bighug :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh I'm sorry. I think you have made a very difficult but loving decision. I hope he can be with you for many weeks to come Emily. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Emily, I am so sorry to read about Riley's diagnosis. I know your heart is breaking and it feels like your world has been turned upside-down. You've made a wise decision for Riley (I would have done the same). I wish for you many wonderful moments with him in the days ahead. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest IndysDad

I'm sorry the diagnosis wasn't better...

I'm sure you will do what's best for Riley...14 years of love and devotion is a great lifespan...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

:bighug