Merlin Has Cancer

I got confirmation today that the growth on Merlin's leg is malignant. I noticed the lump about a week ago and it seemed to appear almost overnight. Other than the neuro issue he has surface from time to time Merlin has been a happy 13 year old with no signs of any other issues.

The cancer is a particularly agressive kind that growns in the blood vessels of the legs, and is primarily found in larger breed dogs. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name the vet told me for the type of cancer but honestly, I don't much care about the name at the moment. Treatment is generally aggressive surgery to remove the affected area but even with surgery the prognosis is not very good for most dogs. If Merlin was young I would consider it of course but since he is 13 I would never subject him to surgery and other treatments. Since there is little that can be done, basically all there is left is to maintain his quality of life. This cancer grows quickly and I will be watching him carefully. If the growth abcesses or he injures it in any way treatment can be very difficult, especially where it is located on his leg.

So, although I am not surprised at the diagnosis of cancer my heart is broken knowing that I will be saying farewell to my crazy and darling Merlin long before I was prepared to. Luckily the neuro issue has reduced feeling in the leg with the growth so at the moment he is not showing signs of being in any pain.

Merlin has been with me since he was 5 and a half and has been a great companion. He is quite goofy and I swear has multiple personalities, :wacko: but he never does anything wrong and is so loveable.

I lost Butch last July and then my Hayley in January and although I know that having several senior hounds puts you in a position to face losses close to one another, it is never easy. I generally don't post stuff like this but I guess I am feeling very sad at the moment and just needed to put this diagnosis in words.

Please keep Merlin in your thoughts. Our vet is absolutely wonderful and will be taking great care of Merlin as needed.

thanks

Marina....and Merlin :sad1

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. I do understand and I know how devastating it is.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Elaine
I got confirmation today that the growth on Merlin's leg is malignant. I noticed the lump about a week ago and it seemed to appear almost overnight. Other than the neuro issue he has surface from time to time Merlin has been a happy 13 year old with no signs of any other issues.

The cancer is a particularly agressive kind that growns in the blood vessels of the legs, and is primarily found in larger breed dogs. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name the vet told me for the type of cancer but honestly, I don't much care about the name at the moment.

\

Is it hemangiopericytoma? If so, as far as cancers go, it is one of the better ones to have. It is very slow to metastasize, according to my vet. I had a hound with it and he lived nearly another 7 years post diagnosis. Everytime a tumor would pop up, we'd have it removed.

Elaine

Guest Vinnie

We are so sorry to hear about the diagnosis for Merlin. Wishing you many days of cuddles, nosey kisses and scritches with your sweet boy. Sending many prayers.

Guest houndlover

I am so terribly sorry. I can't even imagine what you must be going through right now. Cherish every moment that you have with your sweet boy. :grouphug

How very sad that Merlin has been diagnosed with cancer. I'm sure that OSU would give you the second opinion you may want. How wonderful that he has been blessed to have you as his family to love and care for him all these years. What might his life have been without you? We are given them for such a short time. But in that time they give us so much. Thank you for loving and caring for Merlin and for putting his quality of life and wellbeing first. Hugs for you and hugs for the wonderous hound that is Merlin.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so sorry to hear this. We'll all be thinking of you--and Merlin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts. I appreciate it and it helps!!!

Is it hemangiopericytoma
No, this was not what he called it and I will get the written diagnosis this week....wish I could remember it exactly. My vet is awesome, we have a great line of communication and is a great research vet. He is like 99% certain of what it is and I trust him completely. There is really no need for an OSU diagnosis

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire