My Big Vinny Is Having Surgery

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

In Vinny's last race he took a tumble and broke his front leg in half. He has a plate & 12 screws in his leg. Some of you may know that we have been battling a nasty infection with Baytril for over a month....well the infection is winning. :(

So my Big Vinny has to go in on March 30th to remove the plate and screws. I know in the long run, it is better this way, it's just that I've never had to put either of my babies under for surgery before and I'm a bit scared. :cry1

Probably the worst part is that Vinny is having surgery the day of dh's grandpa's funeral. GGP (that's what we called him) died this morning...he was 96 years old and had a long healthy life. His funeral is going to be Monday....the same day Vinny is having surgery. Monday will be a very tough day.

Please send good thoughts and prayers to my baby, my heart dog, my Big Vinny.

Edited by FrostyBottoms

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoulsMom

Oh my, sending tons of good thoughts to you both, and my condolences to your family (insert grouphug here, I broke the emotis again)

Edited by SoulsMom

He will be just fine and the infection will clear up and that will be the end of it. This is all good.

Mega prayers and good thoughts for your sweet Vinny.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Vinnie

Many prayers to you and your family, very sorry to hear about your loss in addition to the worry over Vinny's surgery. Will be keeping him in our prayers on Monday.

Guest myjazzy

Good thoughts for Vinny. My Darla broke her hock at the track and came home with a plate, screws and a pin. She recovered well from the surgery and didn't even have a limp. About two years later, she started limping. Since I knew she had hardware in that leg, I didn't panic, but I had her leg x-rayed. The screws had come loose and the plate was broken. She had surgery to remove all the hardware and, again, recovered well from the surgery. She went back to running and walking without a limp. Sadly, I lost her to liver disease about a year later.

Hopefully, Vinny's recovery will be uneventful.

I'm sorry about your dh's grandpa's death.

Guest KyGrey

That's what happened to Molly. She had a plate and screws in her leg when she came to me and about a year later an infection developed that would not go away. The orthopedic surgeon went in and took the plate and screws out and Molly has been fine ever since.

Good luck to Vinny!

Mom, try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done but he will be just fine. :bighug

Oh, poor Vinny. I am sending lots and lots of good thoughts. For you and your DH, too :grouphug

Vinny - be strong and brave sweetie! The vet is going to make you all better! :kiss2 :kiss2 :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Jeannie - you'll keep us posted, won't you? Sending hugs. :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry for your families loss.... I am doubly sorry about Vinny but this should be the best thing.... We will have you and your family and Vinny in our thoughts and prayers.... :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greyt2love

Prayers and good thoughs for Big Vinnie. The surgery will make him better again.It will !!!

Condolences for the loss of DH's grandfather.

Deb

Prayers and good thoughts for Vinny. He should do fine, the surgery to remove the plate is probably a lot shorter than the original surgery. Try not to stress too much Mom.

:hope

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest FrostyBottoms
GGP is in the perfect place to lend Vinnie a helping hand!

Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Thank you for that! We took Vinny & Frosty in to see GGP at the nursing home the other week....he really enjoyed them. He had Alzheimer and didn't remember them...but was very interested in the racing part.

You're right! GGP will help Big Vinny through it!

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Dillymom

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm sure everything will be ok with Vinny. He'll be better then new when he's healed up

GGP is so cute... we called my grandmother. My daughter called my grandmother GG b/c she refused to be called anything that made her sound old.

Edited by Dillymom