Romeo Has Osteo

Guest Leah

Leah,

I am really sorry. Don't feel bad about not doing an amp. If the cancer is as agressive as the vet thinks, it has probably already spread. We didn't do the amp when our grey had it. I know the decision about whether or not to do am amp is not an easy one.

Many hugs to you and Romeo. Spoil him rotten!

Kim, Silver and Holly

ETA: Join Circle of Greys. It was such a comfort when we went through osteo.

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SueG201

I am so sorry for this diagnosis, been there twice and each time opted out of amputation

Cancer sucks !!! Spoil him and love him and when it is time for him to cross the rainbow bridge he will let you knwo :grouphug

Nobody will be judgemental..........you know you're boy better than anyone.

Try not to be sad round him otherwise he will pick up on it. Concentrate on making special memories to treasure and grieve afterwards.

So very sorry.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I know exactly what you're going through....my Lewis was diagnosed back on 12/16 and I opted not to amputate. I had three wonderful months with him. Keep your boy comfortable with his pain meds and enjoy every single day. I hope you have many, many good days with Romeo and spoil him rotten.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

My heart is breaking for you. This is news that you never want to get. I cannot imagine that anyone would judge you for your decision. We each make our own choices from our heart and out of love for our pups.

Make a lot of wonderful memories. Give Romeo everything you'd never give him to eat before. Treasure every minute. Romeo knows he is loved, he doesn't know that there is something wrong so he will just live in the moment with you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry!. I really hate cancer!!!

Clark is also my first grey and a big Mommas boy, he also has Osteo. We are not going to amputate either. Right now the Metacam and tramadol are keeping him comfortable.

Will keep you and your Romeo in my prayers.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Been there and it's awful. I didn't choose amputation/treatment either. And although Coach had quit using her entire shoulder/leg the last 2 days, she was scarfing down treats all the way to the vet when we said goodbye. When the quality of life dropped to her giving it all she had just to stand and pee on her bed, I couldn't take it any longer even though she was still fighting. Hug him and cherish the time you've got left. God be with you as you deal with this. And big hugs from me.

Guest PiagetsMom
I am so terribly sorry about your Romeo. :cry1 Please don't feel badly about your decision to not amputate. It is a very painful surgery, and as we have seen lately on GT, doesn't always buy them much time. :sad1

If you don't mind my adding, osteo is enormously painful, and if the bone should break, it is excruciating. When you help your beloved Romeo to the Bridge, it is better a day too soon, than a moment too late. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

My prayers are with you and Romeo. :hope:hope:hope

Annie, you speak my thoughts as well.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm so sorry to hear of this diagnosis..... I don't think badly of you at all. You know him best and you know what is best for him..... I hope that you find peace and joy in each moment that you have left with him.

Heather

This is awful. I am so sorry about the crushing diagnosis. Please let Romeo know that you are championing his cause, even if he doesn't know it yet. Believe me, he will! I hope you have many more pain free days with which to make lasting, happy memories. Sending prayers and comforting hugs. :hope:hope:grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My heart goes out to you and Romeo. We just took this journey and walked our honey girl Lulu to the bridge four weeks ago. It was the hardest time of my life, and my heart will ache for a very long time...she was our "Heart Girlie".

Cherish the time you have with Romeo. Live for the "now" with him. As hard as it is, try to stay positive and happy when you are around him. These pups mirror our moods. If you're sad, he will be sad. When you need to cry, close yourself into a room and ball your eyes out like I did. It was so hard to stay positive under the circumstances, but Lulu was better when I was happy for her.

And don't be afraid to use the pain meds. Bone pain is awful. You need to get ahead of it and try to stay there. I was on the phone with Lu's vet often adjusting pain meds to keep her comfortable. Ask your vet what the maximum doses are that he can have in case he needs them. Lu had a bad night late on a Friday, and I had to wait for the vet to call back after a late page to instruct me on how to get her through the night with additional dosage. I would have been able to help her sooner had I asked ahead of time and had that information on hand.

Many hugs to you both through this difficult journey.

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

I'm so sorry for this news. Make some wonderful memories, take lots of pictures, and cherish the days you have together. We'll be thinking of you all.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you, and to everyone else who has been down this path. I hope you and Romeo have many good days left; give him a gentle hug from us.

Guest greytkidsmom

Oh man.

I am so so sorry.

You are doing what you know is best for your sweet boy - no one will fault you for that.

We will keep you in our prayers.